Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips) is completely insane [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips) is completely insane

Dusty Chalk
03-01-2004, 08:59 PM
I just finished watching some of the video extras on the CD/DVD version of Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. OMG! WTF? "Christmas on Mars" is a trailer for a fictitious science fiction film done in the "classic" style, and nothing about the trailer makes me want to see it. Is this some sort of "send up"? If so, I don't get it.

And the surround mix -- completely overboard. They chop up the riffs and bounce them from one speaker to the next -- in some cases on a note-per-note basis. I mean, I understand if it was written that way, but I think he's just being silly.

And the video -- has anyone seen the video (for "Do You Realize?" -- which is an excellent song, about living for the now, not whiney at all, very uplifting...I suspect you just don't like his voice, John)? (And if you did see it, where did you see it? Certainly not on eMpTyV...) Strolling minstrel with rabbits and nymphs (girls) and a pig and a frog and an elephant. Some real, some "furry".

And lets just skip the video for "Yoshimi..." -- that just plain sucked. She's supposed to be a chef? I didn't get that at all. And then she's supposed to be eating something that they regurgitated? Didn't get that either. And they're supposed to be playing live there? That part, I got.

I've seen John Waters movies that were better. Well, no, not really...but they're close.

Why does he have animal costumes? And what is this predilection for flashlights?

I've got one word for him: rehab. I'll bet anyone he's been on a permanent high for years.

newtrix1
03-02-2004, 03:12 AM
I read an article somewhere that praised the surround mix of that album. I've only heard the stereo version, but it seems like a good album to enhance to multi-channel, with all the wierd sounds and spacy themes.
Can't comment on the video(s) you mentioned, I haven't seem them.

jdeare
03-02-2004, 05:58 AM
I'm assuming your referencing my comments in the poll about Do You Realize? being whiney... yes, I don't like his voice, but I also find the lyrics to be somewhat smug and trite. But, I haven't liked the Lips since the late 80's when I first heard them, so I may be somewhat biased... :)

Dusty Chalk
03-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I thought maybe it was a reference to the tractor company. You know, John Deere?

jdeare
03-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I thought maybe it was a reference to the tractor company. You know, John Deere?

For some reason, we pronounce it Dee Air. I just found out over Xmas that it was made up by my grandfather's stepfather, who was hiding out from the mob. Apparently, his brother was killed by Al Capone. But anyway, my real family name should be Thorsen... and my first is Justin. All this time I thought I was French, when I'm really a Viking.