Speaker cable advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker cable advice

SAPSEC
12-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Does the AGW affect sound quality (ie: 16,14, or 12 AGW) ? I used 12 AGW cheap speaker cable and I am disappointed with sound quality ? In general how many percent does speaker cable play its role in obtaining good sound ? I am using stereo receiver RX-797 connecting to BW-303. Can someone suggest any good speaker cable ? Thanks

JohnMichael
12-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Does the AGW affect sound quality (ie: 16,14, or 12 AGW) ? I used 12 AGW cheap speaker cable and I am disappointed with sound quality ? In general how many percent does speaker cable play its role in obtaining good sound ? I am using stereo receiver RX-797 connecting to BW-303. Can someone suggest any good speaker cable ? Thanks

This may turn into a big debate but I have always been happiest with solid core cables. Check out cables from AudioQuest, Alpha Core, Mapleshade and lower priced Nordost. I have always found stranded cables create a fuzzy, blurry sound with my ears and equipment.

audio amateur
12-25-2007, 02:28 PM
As long as you're wires aren't too long (30 feet or more), I think 16 gauge or bigger should be good. But that's only part of the story, the quality of your wire depends on more factors than just that.

blackraven
12-25-2007, 03:37 PM
The larger cable, the less resistance there is and the less taxing it is on your amp. If you have inefficient speakers like my Maggies which have a S/N of 85dB then you will want a heavier speaker cable, especially if you have a cheap amplifier or under powered amplifier.

markw
12-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Speaker cable isn't responsible for your disappointment in the sound quality of your system. I'd be looking at your speakers, speaker placement, source software and amplifier.

StevenSurprenant
12-27-2007, 09:31 AM
DH Labs T-14 or Q10 "Silversonic"

http://www.silversonic.com

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/dh-labs/speaker-cables/PRD_116425_1584crx.aspx

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/dh-labs/speaker-cables/PRD_124365_1584crx.aspx

I have tried many and I have become totally enamored with this company's products.

Best bang for the buck. IMHO

They are silver coated copper.

Most cable I have used sound this way or that way, but DH Labs just sound transparent.

I also love the fact that it's lower price than most wires I have tried and is much better.

Of course, there are other choices...

You decide!

kuzzma
12-27-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree with John Michael about solid core - since yesterday. My new favorite cable for speakers is now the Supra Cable from Sweden, stranded and tinned copper. This is the best I ever had, beliefe me. Give it a try if the horrible price tag of 17 (seventeen) Euros per meter (here in Austria) does not give you a shock :-)
Highly reccommended also for AC.

basite
12-27-2007, 02:26 PM
This may turn into a big debate but I have always been happiest with solid core cables. Check out cables from AudioQuest, Alpha Core, Mapleshade and lower priced Nordost. I have always found stranded cables create a fuzzy, blurry sound with my ears and equipment.

for me it depends.

I don't like fat stranded cables (I.E.: the 12 gauge monster cables and stuff like that, just one big packet of strands), however when having small groups of strands with seperate insulation around them, it actually works out well... (see Kimber). I have lots to try out though :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.