Cable advice!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable advice!!!

tony340
12-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Hi guys!
Merry Christmas!
So with the holidays coming in, i intend to have my rig working fully...
So i'm now on the verge of getting good cables for the Paradigm Studio 20, Rotel RA-1062 and Marantz CD 5001 SETUP... What final advice can you guys give me? As said earlier, this is the first time i'm into serious hi fidelity, so i need as much expert advice as possible...
Thanks, and god bless you all!
P.S Sorry for posting this thread on the wrong forum!

basite
12-24-2007, 03:29 AM
you looking for interconnects & speaker cables?

and what's your budget? cables can go from utterly cheap to extremely pricey, so budget is welcome :)

anyways, even without a budget:
check out Kimber & Audioquest

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
12-24-2007, 07:28 AM
I recently purchased Audioquest Slate from www.audioadvisor.com. This was my first pair of bi-wire cables. Slate can be purchased as single or bi-wire. AudioAdvisor buys the cable in bulk and terminates it themselves so you save money. I am pleased with the sound of the cable. Neutral with extended treble and good bass.

Florian
12-24-2007, 02:25 PM
I had a pair of Audioquest Slates too ;-) Good cables but stiff, so not very good if your looking for flexibility. If budget is not much of a consideration i would check out Magnan ribbon cables. Can be had for around 600$ or so for 5ft. Works great on my system at least.

Cheers

Flo

bubbagump
12-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi guys!
Merry Christmas!
So with the holidays coming in, i intend to have my rig working fully...
So i'm now on the verge of getting good cables for the Paradigm Studio 20, Rotel RA-1062 and Marantz CD 5001 SETUP... What final advice can you guys give me? As said earlier, this is the first time i'm into serious hi fidelity, so i need as much expert advice as possible...
Thanks, and god bless you all!
P.S Sorry for posting this thread on the wrong forum!

If you have to have something that 'feels' special and performs every bit as well as mega buck audio jewelry from Kimber, Audio Quest and many others, try the Better Cables offering from SVS. They look great, will last a long time and more importantly, 'sound' as good as any other passive speaker wire.
http://www.svsound.com/products-parts-cables.cfm

tony340
12-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Thank you all very much! The fact that i'm on a tight budget since i have spent all my reserves for the other components must be stressed... So since my apartment here is very small, the living room is very very compact... Now i have heard that the speakers must be ideally placed at around 8ft apart, then my amp and cd player can be on the same line as the speakers: hence saving on wire... Now the options i have in my budget are: QED, Tara Labs, Van den hul etc. I have not much experience with cables before, so considering my rig, what would be the ideal choice???

Florian
12-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Well my Magnans are out of the question then, my first good cable on a old pair of Maggie 3.6's was from QED. QED Biwire with Airtight Lock and good connectors from Eichman would be my choice.

Cheers

Flo

tony340
12-27-2007, 05:59 PM
How about Tara Labs? I have heard a lot of good things about this range of cables, and there are a few that are within my budget... Any input? Also the QED Silver Anniversary is another one within my limited budget...

blackraven
12-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Just buy cables from www.bluejeancables.com very affordable, well made and they have great specs. Best of all they will not do any harm to your music. They use belden cable which is the standard in the recording industry. Don't get all caught up in thinking that expensive cables are going to miraculously make you system sound wonderful because it won't. Every one that I know that has bought bluejean cables or even cobaltcable.com and bettercables.com like their cables.

tony340
12-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks so much guys! Just one other thing, i would also like to hook up my itouch once in awhile to my system, what sort of cable is necessary for this purpose?