Silverstone EB01 External DAC - sound quality [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone EB01 External DAC - sound quality

tibiaornottibia
12-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Just purchased the EB01 based on review. Running Real Rhapsody (subscription music service) through it. Sound quality is okay, except for the fact that, with my receiver (6 X 100w) turned all the way up, the volume is still inadequate, accompanied by plenty of white noise, for lack of a better term. I have 36' of RCA cable from the unit to my stereo. Is this the problem? (Two salespeople from different stores thought not.) The computer? Is this as good as it gets? Thanks.

pixelthis
12-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Your line level is too low, and you're having to turn up your amp too high to get any sound.
Have you checked your software? When watching youtube I sometimes have to turn up the vollume using their slider control.
Not familar with USB dacs (was thinking about one) is there anywhere you can increase the line output? But that is your problem, the line level is too low:1:

tibiaornottibia
12-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks, pixelthis. Slider on Rhapsody is maxed, and there is no volume control on the unit.
As for recommending one of these, I'll let you know if/when I get this problem resolved. From what I can tell with the limited volume, it works in stereo/two speakers, but not so well with four, as the back two sound extremely thin.

pixelthis
12-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Hate to ask, but have you tried the control on your taskbar?
That ones caught me several times:1:

tibiaornottibia
12-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Glad you mentioned it, because I didn't think of that possibility. Much better, but still barely adequate. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated, as well. Thanks again.

tibiaornottibia
12-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Not sure what happened, but something kicked in, and now the computer's sound volume is as it should be - on a par with my other stereo components. As a result, I'm very happy overall with the sound of the Silverstone. Thanks again, pixelthis.