Unknown Speaker Cube on Steroids???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Speaker Cube on Steroids????

thekid
12-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I am sorry to try and post this w/o pics but having camera issues......

I bought an interesting pair of speakers at the local thrift for $3.
They are basically cube speakers 10"x10", about 8.5" high and weigh about 4-5lbs.
There is absolutely no writing or identification anywhere. There are no detachable grills but all 4 sides are covered with a black grill cloth. The top is attached with 4 screws and when removed there is only 1 driver (looks to be a about a 3" mid range) facing towards the top. Attached to the top is a plastic cone which when the top is attached points downward over the driver. A speaker wire is attached internally and runs from the bottom.

SQ is actually quite amazing given the size and lay out of this speaker. Bass is a little weak but there seems to be only the one driver so that is understandable. I am not sure if these were designed to be stand alones our part of a two piece set-up given that does not appear to be a woofer.

Any ideas???????

thekid
12-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Okay all I know at this point is this is a omni-directional speaker

Here are some pics as viewed from the top of both speakers with the tops off and from the sides. I hope someone can ID these from the photos.

basite
12-23-2007, 12:14 PM
They appear to be omnidirectional speakers, never seen those though...

Screw out the drivers, see if there's any hint, serial number, or brand name at the back...

they could be home built with a bit of effort...

btw, they're definately not new, I'd guess them somewhere in the 70's...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

thekid
12-23-2007, 01:21 PM
They appear to be omnidirectional speakers, never seen those though...

Screw out the drivers, see if there's any hint, serial number, or brand name at the back...

they could be home built with a bit of effort...

btw, they're definately not new, I'd guess them somewhere in the 70's...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I had thought of trying to find a part number or any kind of writing when I removed the bottom. There is nothing on the inside. I am reluctant to screw out the drivers because they are actually secured by 4-5 hexagonal bolts which have never been removed.

I had thought possible they were someone's DIY project but I think the quality and materials are too good. I also think they are 70's era. Someone over on Audio Karma thought they possible may have been part of an "all-in-one" compact system. Apparently many of them used omnidirectional speakers back then in order to produce a bigger sound relative to the size of the speakers. I have to say they work on that level.