Help with Pioneer and Samsung HD quality.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Pioneer and Samsung HD quality..

MCF
12-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Crazy situation...I got two plasma sets. An Pioneer Elite 1120HD (about two years old) and a Samsung HTP5054. Both sets are 720p/1080i. The Pioneer can't be beat when it comes to playing 480p DVD's. The Sammy comes in a very close second, but when it comes to HD ATT, the Sammy is amazing and the Pioneer just sux!! I got the Sammy shortly after getting ATT Uverse. Before ATT I had Comcast HD and the HD on the Pioneer was amazing, unbelievable, but now with ATT Uverse the Sammy is great on HD and the Pioneer really does suk on HD! They are both connected via component. Any thoughts?? I did have the DVR connected to the Pioneer and am going to experiment with connecting a non DVR to the Pioneer and see if that helps.

I have already tried switching Aspect ratio on ATT Uverse boxes between 720p and 1080i (again, something odd....with Comcast, the Sammy did better on 720p and the Pioneer did better on 1080i, but now the Sammy does much better on 1080i and the Pioneer does mediocre on 720p at best....with the Pioneer, I am mostly experiencing 'clay face'...or 'ghosts' when people move their faces or walk real fast)... Any thoughts?

pixelthis
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
ATT probably has much higher compression.
AND clay face? welcome to the wonderful world of plasma tv, they dont mention that in the broachure, or the alarming rate of return.
Some sets respond differntly to different resolutions.
Mine has a deinterlacer by DVDO that is really nice, but analog looks like crap.
Digital signals, look great, however.
What you need to do is make sure your digital stuff from ATT is at least 480p for SD material, but most likely you wont have that option.
When I selected 480p for standard def stuff from my comcast box it looked really great.
And digital stuff tends to handle digital signals better.
Does your Pioneer look so bad with a DVD player set to 480p?
probably not. ATT might not give you an option of receiving SD IN 480P, AND THAT MIGHT NOT EVEN BE THE PROBLEM.
ATT might just suck hard in the QC dept, is all.
And your pioneer might be having problems, that "blur" is a low "refresh" rate.
Your set isnt keeping up with the picture, fast movement "blurs".
My guess is that your set handles one rez really better than the other, and either
HANDLES analog or interlaced well or bad, compared to digital or progressive.
if you have it, set your att to 480p and see what happens.
I will bet your pioneer looks just as good as it does with a DVD, either something in the ATT signal is giving it indigestion, or it cant handle the higher resolutions.
Wish I could be more help, but I am not quite familar with ATT :1:

MCF
12-23-2007, 07:13 AM
ATT probably has much higher compression.
AND clay face? welcome to the wonderful world of plasma tv, they dont mention that in the broachure, or the alarming rate of return.
Some sets respond differntly to different resolutions.
Mine has a deinterlacer by DVDO that is really nice, but analog looks like crap.
Digital signals, look great, however.
What you need to do is make sure your digital stuff from ATT is at least 480p for SD material, but most likely you wont have that option.
When I selected 480p for standard def stuff from my comcast box it looked really great.
And digital stuff tends to handle digital signals better.
Does your Pioneer look so bad with a DVD player set to 480p?
probably not. ATT might not give you an option of receiving SD IN 480P, AND THAT MIGHT NOT EVEN BE THE PROBLEM.
ATT might just suck hard in the QC dept, is all.
And your pioneer might be having problems, that "blur" is a low "refresh" rate.
Your set isnt keeping up with the picture, fast movement "blurs".
My guess is that your set handles one rez really better than the other, and either
HANDLES analog or interlaced well or bad, compared to digital or progressive.
if you have it, set your att to 480p and see what happens.
I will bet your pioneer looks just as good as it does with a DVD, either something in the ATT signal is giving it indigestion, or it cant handle the higher resolutions.
Wish I could be more help, but I am not quite familar with ATT :1:

I took the ATT DVR box off the Pioneer and connected a non DVR box..pic looks much better. Who knows, but I have to turn on all the Pioneer settings to get HD looking great again...with 480p DVD, the pic is awesome, now at 720p HD, the pic looks just as good or better so I am happy again. I wish I had a 480p setting from the STB, but I don't, oh well...happy again.

pixelthis
12-24-2007, 12:37 AM
GOOD, obviously it handles progressive better than analog, a good thing since analog is going by the boards:1:

Duds
01-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Clayface isnt much of an issue any more with new plasmas. As the op said, his pioneer is 2 years old or more. you rarely see clayface on any of the big name plasma makers these days.

yy17616433
01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
That is sure!!!
〖^o^〗^o^ 〖^o^〗
One Piece (http://manga.yuedu365.com/bookinfo/8394)
Prince of Tennis (http://manga.yuedu365.com/bookinfo/9274)