Energy C-100 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Energy C-100

Tetsuro
12-21-2007, 02:16 AM
With mine new speakers there is an option to insert two 'port plug' on the reflex ports... with and without they sound very different. With they sound a bit muted/recessed (boxier?).. without they open up (wider sound) but become excessive booming (more pleasant if it was not for the booming). What do you think on it? What do you prefer? The manual says on the plugs.. 'use them if required'.

Moreover they sound a bit dark, it's a problem of the new status or it is a feature of the speakers? What about distortions? I would have liked a bit more open sound. Do you think they will open up.

I confronted them with Tannoy and Tannoys are more airy, open, wider, less boxier, less distorted even if sometimes they seems on the loose and softer (Energys burned-in for 2 hours). Tannoys are far bigger anyway.

I'm really thinking on sell everything and going with PC speakers.

Feanor
12-21-2007, 06:09 AM
With mine new speakers there is an option to insert two 'port plug' on the reflex ports... with and without they sound very different. With they sound a bit muted/recessed (boxier?).. without they open up (wider sound) but become excessive booming (more pleasant if it was not for the booming). What do you think on it? What do you prefer? The manual says on the plugs.. 'use them if required'.

Moreover they sound a bit dark, it's a problem of the new status or it is a feature of the speakers? What about distortions? I would have liked a bit more open sound. Do you think they will open up.

The use of the plug will be primarily dictated by the positioning of the Energys in your room: closer to the wall will make the plug more likely to produce the better result.

Tetsuro, satisfy my curiousity: did you buy the Energys? Can you return them? What made you think the might be better than the Tannoys in the first place?

PC speakers are generally to be used on a desktop and "near-field". Near-field technically means that most of the total sound energy is coming directly from the speaker, not from room reflections as is almost always the case with normal room placement. If normal room placement is your intention I strongly recommend against PC speakers.

Tetsuro
12-21-2007, 06:38 AM
The use of the plug will be primarily dictated by the positioning of the Energys in your room: closer to the wall will make the plug more likely to produce the better result.

Tetsuro, satisfy my curiousity: did you buy the Energys? Can you return them? What made you think the might be better than the Tannoys in the first place?

PC speakers are generally to be used on a desktop and "near-field". Near-field technically means that most of the total sound energy is coming directly from the speaker, not from room reflections as is almost always the case with normal room placement. If normal room placement is your intention I strongly recommend against PC speakers.

Precious as always, I've left the plugs in. :)

Yes I bought them. In Italy we can't return things back (only things buyed from Internet). I thought the Tannoys were broken (before finding that was the audio card the problem) so I've decided buy something else. Anyway after a bit of break in I must say that no one come as a winner. all the two have their pluses. Tannoys are softer, had a bigger soundstage, the Energys are stiffer, better balanced but suffers more from 'booming' and are a bit boxier (the bass seems a bit artificial since it is too pronounced for those little boxes). At start the Energys were really outrageus, but now they opened up a lot (4 hours break-in). Tannoys benefit from a larger woofer and ->much<- bigger dimensions (I've gained some space, I cannot really feel sorry for that). Imust say that I'm becoming more and more pleased as time passes. The only bad news comes from the dance music since the booming is too much invadent. Apart from that I think Energy Speakers does know what it is 'music' since the sound is pleasant and balanced, unlike Boston's and Polk Audio's one.

I think to not have good acoustics in mine room. I must do something for that booming.

P.S.: For now source is **** so I have to change that, maybe I have to go with brighter sources, maybe an external DAC could help on that?