Ideal shaking frequency? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ideal shaking frequency?

therobby3
12-20-2007, 08:56 AM
What do you guys think is around the frequency that causes things to shake the most? Around 55hz maybe? Or I guess it could depend on the woofer and box. Howa bout it?

basite
12-20-2007, 09:51 AM
yeah, that's about where it starts to shake at high volume levels...

but, why do you wanna know?

GMichael
12-20-2007, 10:07 AM
I usually just shake mine a few times before I put it away. Anymore than that is just... well... you know.

As far as subs go, I think it depends on what you have in your house. Some things shake at a lower frequency while others shake at higher ones. It depends on the item's natural resonance factors. While I was testing my system's responses, I found that most of the rattling in my house happened around 25 htz. My doors, cabinets, pictures on the walls and all the dishes in the sink made the most noise around there.

It could also depend on the acoustics of your house. If you have peeks at one level then everything will shake more there. I used to have a peek at 55 htz before making adjustments.

Rich-n-Texas
12-20-2007, 11:25 AM
I'll ask the clown who drives by my house every day in his pickup truck and makes my coffee cups rattle what frequency his sub's set at. Then I'll shoot him (poppa cap in his a$$)!

I found out early on here that there are a lot of factors involved in getting peak performance out of the sub. "Room modes" comes to mind as a detriment to that chest thumping nirvana.

basite
12-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I'll ask the clown who drives by my house every day in his pickup truck and makes my coffee cups rattle what frequency his sub's set at. Then I'll shoot him (poppa cap in his a$$)!

ah so you to find them anoying :p

therobby3
12-20-2007, 01:22 PM
yeah, that's about where it starts to shake at high volume levels...

but, why do you wanna know?

lol, obvious reasons, just to add some crazy bass and shake my house. lol, I'm 19, I love that kinda stuff, especially if I get to impress people.

But yea, anyway what I currently have I'd say shakes me windows and plates and utilities downstairs pretty good. I was just wonderin what everyone else thought.

Slippers On
12-20-2007, 03:38 PM
just to add some crazy bass and shake my house. lol, I'm 19, I love that kinda stuff, especially if I get to impress people.

...what I currently have I'd say shakes me windows and plates and utilities downstairs pretty good.

When your friends and you are 21 you can all have wonderful sign-language parties :(

If your idea of impressing people includes "vibrating someones liver and intestines" then get yourself a damn good sub-woofer capable of lower than 15Hz and you can borrow one of my 1984 Luxman Z504 mono amps, it will put out 4800watts into 1 Ohm. The whole town might come round then to do a little impressing themselves.

Slippers over my ears :out:

therobby3
12-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Haha, wow that sounds nice and crazy to me.

kexodusc
12-20-2007, 04:28 PM
The shaking point will be different in everyone's room. It depends a bit on size, dimensions, material, wall thickness, rigidity, room content etc. What the sub is doing is triggering the resonating frequency of objects in the room. That's why high frequencies don't rattle walls.

In my room, 28 Hz and below causes things to move.

basite
12-21-2007, 04:12 AM
When your friends and you are 21 you can all have wonderful sign-language parties :(

how very true :p

it's not about how much bass you have. It's how it sounds that does it. cheap bass will definately not impress me or any other people, neither will volume. Real bass should sound like it's growing, it should come over you. It should sound a little like a thundering sound, something dark. It should sound dangerous, and very detailed, not boomy at all. It should be there.

That's what real bass should sound like, and what a 55 hz tone will not do at all. And where's the fun in playing sine waves to impress your friends?

I'm 17 and care about music.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

johnny p
12-21-2007, 05:23 AM
I'd suggest getting rid of stuff in the room that's not needed..... curtains, pillows CARPET, etc.... let the soundwaves build and bounce around..... you'll get bass that way for sure.

Ah... to be young again.... I purchased my CVs when I was 19, a friend and I connected both of our sets (I had the 12" mains, he had the 10" mains, we both had surrounds, and matching 15" downward firing subs) the combination of the 4 mains, and 2 Subs broke the plate-glass window out of the house we were renting..... THAT is bass. (Although I still question the integrity of the window..... I SWEAR it was already cracked) Either way.... we had good times back then, but lots of visits from the police. I'm doing everything I can right now to get rid of the old wall shakers. I may not have the mains I want yet, but my cheap, temporary upgrade sounds 100 times better than the old CV 12" mains. I think I got the green light from the wife last night to buy my b&w 705's after X-Mass, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

basite
12-21-2007, 05:42 AM
I think I got the green light from the wife last night to buy my b&w 705's after X-Mass, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Don't, IMO, there are much better speakers for that price...

look at monitor audio GS10's, or dynaudios, or Dali Mentor 2's, or ...

the B&W 700 line is going out, because the diffence between the new 600 series and the 700 series is way to small...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

johnny p
12-21-2007, 08:55 AM
I've already got the HTM7, I'm committed in that sense to the 700 series. I know the newer 600's got great reviews for their re-design, but the 700's aren't made in China, and basically "yeah" I made the committment to the 700's, so I don't want to start over. The size of the 705s are perfect for what I'm looking to achieve..... I still need a sub, but I'm a mere $2,500 from being perfectly content.

L.J.
12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
I had a huge peak at about 50hz and it made the bass sound like crap. Yeah it was loud and would rattle the walls but man was it bad. I had to lower the sub volume to make up for the peak. After getting off my butt and getting that one peak cut down, the difference was pretty huge(I know, I still gotta get that BFD up and running). I was able to properly set my sub level and the bass was just as deep but alot smoother. Man can that Titanic hit. I'm smiling right now just thinkin' about it :)

basite
12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I had a huge peak at about 50hz and it made the bass sound like crap. Yeah it was loud and would rattle the walls but man was it bad. I had to lower the sub volume to make up for the peak. After getting off my butt and getting that one peak cut down, the difference was pretty huge(I know, I still gotta get that BFD up and running). I was able to properly set my sub level and the bass was just as deep but alot smoother. Man can that Titanic hit. I'm smiling right now just thinkin' about it :)

yeah, I hear ya,
you ain't heard reall bass until you got all the peaks worked away, then the low 30's and low 20's come through, that's when the bass comes right though you, and leaves you behind as a crippled old man. that's bass :p

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

sgt bass08
12-21-2007, 11:38 AM
i think bass starts at 31hz 18hz and then thats still not enough for me :) when i had my subwoofers both pushed out 24hz that made my walls move in and out down stairs lights were rocking side to side all my cds and books were falling of the shelf and i still wanted more :cornut:

therobby3
12-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Haha, hell yea to that. And yes I know quality is a big issue, I have 2 more home theater systems that I think the quality sounds quite fine out of them. Right now I'm mainly focused on the bass. it doesn't have to sound perfect, just loundess and quality within that loudness is what I'm aiming for.

musicman1999
12-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Bass should be deep and tight and invisible.Nothing ruins a system like hearing a big box in the corner sit there and go boom.My system has strong tight bass into the low 20's but in a dark room you could sit 3 feet from the sub and not be able to tell where the sub is, you can feel it, but you can't locate it.

bill

salad 419
01-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Download a bunch of test tones. Burn them to CD, and you'll find the perfect shaking frequencies for your system and room. A lot of folks use the test tones to check for flatness in frequency response in their systems and remove peaks. But you can use them for finding the best shaking frequency if that's what you're after.

Here is one link with test tones. Go to the download page.

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/

You can always do an internet search for more if you find these helpful.