Can you last longer than 30 sec..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can you last longer than 30 sec.....

Bernd
12-20-2007, 07:48 AM
......:)

Just got home, frozen to the bone, from my last days work for this year. Had a nice hot bath and thought I would time myself on how long I could hold my breath. Just about managed 30 sec. I am sure I could hold it longer some 10 years ago. Is that old age?:sad:
Anyway, so how long can you last?

Peace

:16:

basite
12-20-2007, 07:54 AM
just clocked 1 minute 7 seconds...

I have a slight cold...
I dunno if it has something to do with age, but I think there are more slimes in your lungs now, so the lung capacity is less than it's used to be...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

kexodusc
12-20-2007, 08:04 AM
I dunno, Bernd, I'd say you're fine...I'm an amateur SCUBA diver (well I pretend to be, don't get out as much as I should). I remember that just about everyone in my classes didn't last longer than 30 seconds before panicking. Some of them were pretty fit, athletic people. The reason explained to us was that the desire to exhale/breathe is the result of CO2 buildup in the body rather than an insatiable desire for new oxygen, and it takes about 30 seconds for your body to generate the trigger amount of CO2. They'd make us go well past that 30 second limit to demonstrate how you can keep functioning for up to 2 minutes or so without air if you ever got yourself into trouble and needed help from your buddy (of course you shouldn't hold your breath under water).
I'd start to panick around 1 minute or so...crazy panick, like the desire to thrash limbs, and even breathe in water...bad. You can actually train your body to adapt to this feeling though and hold it off awhile longer. I never bothered but I know a lot of skin divers and probably the odd circus performer do so.

GMichael
12-20-2007, 08:43 AM
I dunno, Bernd, I'd say you're fine...I'm an amateur SCUBA diver (well I pretend to be, don't get out as much as I should). I remember that just about everyone in my classes didn't last longer than 30 seconds before panicking. Some of them were pretty fit, athletic people. The reason explained to us was that the desire to exhale/breathe is the result of CO2 buildup in the body rather than an insatiable desire for new oxygen, and it takes about 30 seconds for your body to generate the trigger amount of CO2. They'd make us go well past that 30 second limit to demonstrate how you can keep functioning for up to 2 minutes or so without air if you ever got yourself into trouble and needed help from your buddy (of course you shouldn't hold your breath under water).
I'd start to panick around 1 minute or so...crazy panick, like the desire to thrash limbs, and even breathe in water...bad. You can actually train your body to adapt to this feeling though and hold it off awhile longer. I never bothered but I know a lot of skin divers and probably the odd circus performer do so.

We were trained to hold our breath until the "exhale panic" sets in, and then begin to slowly exhale. That usually adds another 20 seconds or so.
Not sure how long I'd last now.

topspeed
12-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Can you last longer than 30 sec.....

Depends on what my wife is wearing...

Bernd
12-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Depends on what my wife is wearing...

Now that's the spirit.:cornut: