Movies made by the SciFi Channel. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Movies made by the SciFi Channel.

markw
12-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Didja catch their atttempt to copy the basic premise of AVP last weekend? Pitiful...

Is it just me, or would calling them "B" movies be an insult for "B" movies.

I'll give 'em points for their mini-series (Dune, Chldren of Dune, even Tin Man) and some of their series (Battlestar Galactica) but, IMNSHO, their one-shot movies are about as bad as they can get. they must be made by some big-wig's family company.

And, how many angry, giant creatures can they come up with?

JSE
12-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Didja catch their atttempt to copy the basic premise of AVP last weekend? Pitiful...

Is it just me, or would calling them "B" movies be an insult for "B" movies.

I'll give 'em points for their mini-series (Dune, Chldren of Dune, even Tin Man) and some of their series (Battlestar Galactica) but, IMNSHO, their one-shot movies are about as bad as they can get. they must be made by some big-wig's family company.

And, how many angry, giant creatures can they come up with?

Yeah, their movies pretty much suck accross the board with a few exceptions as you mentioned.

What really irks me about the Sci Fi Channel movies is their trailers look so cool most of the time. I get suckered in all the time. You think I would have learned by now but no, I get excited and set the DVR to record and then...........Blah, Crapolla! :mad5:

bobsticks
12-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Whattya expect when they got the entire production crew of USA UP! ALL NIGHT on staff. Hell, this guy's on the Executive Committee for Special Projects....

http://www.i-mockery.com/blog/pics/commander-usa.jpg

GMichael
12-19-2007, 08:08 AM
I find myself in the same boat. They come up with something that seems like it could be a good movie. The previews look great. They even get a few semi-big names sprinkled into a few of them. Then I watch them. They start off OK. Questions get asked, situations are set. As the movie goes on, it becomes clear that the budget was a few hundred dollars. The writers were rushed through it. The actors are mostly just going through the motions. In the end, no questions were answered. The story got lost along the way somewhere. I feel like I wasted another 2 hours of my life. And the worst part is, 6 months later, I'll see the previews of the same d'm movie and not remember that I saw that crap already. I record it again, watch the first minute or so, and proclaim that, "I've already seen this." "I don't remember how it ends, but I remember that it was crap."

But, I did enjoy Tin Man as well as a few others. Star Gate Atlantis and BG is still fun. When are they going HD? The reruns are on the HD channel if you don't mind seeing last year's episodes out of sequence.

johnny p
12-19-2007, 01:00 PM
They also house remakes whether they have control over production or not.... case in point.... Stephen King remade "The Shining" which I was on the fence about..... I love the book, I think it's one of the few Movie adaptations from a Stephen King Novel/Short/etc that REALLY did it justice, and I hear Stephen King wanted to have more hands on time, and wanted to make the Movie closer to the book. I had read it was to be everything he envisioned for the first one, and more...... then it comes out on Sci-Fi (can't say all of it is Sci-Fi's fault, but they aired the crap) and who's Mr. Torrance???? None other than DORKY SISSY BOY STEVEN F'in WEBER!!!!!!! Need I say more?????????

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008R9KE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

markw
12-19-2007, 08:16 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008R9KE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Boy, Sigourney Weaver sure has changed since I last saw her.

3-LockBox
12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
I said this very thing to my wife the other night, "They should change the name of this network to the Creature Feature Channel."

And to think I ever gripped over not having this network...

3-LockBox
12-28-2007, 01:15 PM
who's Mr. Torrance???? None other than DORKY SISSY BOY STEVEN F'in WEBER!!!!!!! Need I say more?????????

But when you read Steven King novels, the male charaters tend to be on the dorky side, so Weber makes sense to me. Nicholson's Jack Torrance was an a**hole before he went nuts. Nicholson's adlibs were funny in the original though.

Worf101
12-31-2007, 07:08 AM
There's a couple of things you gotta remember.

1. SciFi's a niche market.

2. They're a cable only network.

3. They don't have the money or budgets that HBO, the big 3 or the studios have.

4. At least they're "trying".

My biggest knock on Sci Fi channel original movies is... they suck, but I expect them to. I view the Sci Fi Channel as what you'd get if you gave Ed Wood or Roger Corman a network and a few hundred thousand bucks and said...

"Okay kid go out and make me some movies."

Well this is about what you'd get.

Da Worfster

johnny p
12-31-2007, 11:18 AM
god bless the Twilight zone marathons though..... I eat that up!

recoveryone
01-01-2008, 09:52 AM
One thing we need to remember is the Sci Fi Channel doesn't make the shows/movies. Case in point, Battlestar Galactica, Serenity both premiered on NBC and was never picked up (once reason you could see old episodes on the UHD (Universal Hi Def Channel)) The same with the old Space Above & Beyond, Fox Studio work. Sci Fi channel like all other broadcaster shop for shows each year and pay to for the rights to broadcast them. But like many other companies they can leave you hanging mid season or worst show next seasons clips and never air them. I will agree that the level of quality work has gone way down since they stop showing Battlestar series ( the only reason I was watching). When they did a big revamp a few years back they had SA&B and Serenity series running and then came BattleStar and I was hooked. Now I don't even stop to read the show line up any more on my channel preview guide. Its sad cause now may provider (Time Warner) broadcast it in full Stereo Surround from the old mono days (only 3 years ago).

3-LockBox
01-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I wanted this network for a long time, and now that I have it, I rarely watch because its the same old crap. And when did they stop showing Battlestar Galactica? Perhaps I'd rather wait for the DVDs anyway.

I wonder how this network stays afloat. They could at least show more reruns of other scifi shows. (The Tripods - BBC, for one). There's a dirth of old programs I'd love to watch than the umpteenth take on the giant crocadile/grizzley scenario.

Mingus
01-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I haven't watch movie on scifi for awhile - they use to be OK