MORE hd from Comcast [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MORE hd from Comcast

pixelthis
12-19-2007, 12:59 AM
The history channel, animal planet, discovery, and most importantly, SCI-FI channel
joined Comcasts lineup today in my area.
The only HD I saw was sci's flash gordon, the chick playing Dale was reallly something else. The best thing I saw was Blade runner on commercial.
That brings the total to 31, inc premium and broadcast.
Worth the dollar raise in rates.
The sci fi stuff was really good, even a standard def version of Sg-1, cant wait for battlestar galactica and stargate, atlantis.
Meanwhile in USA they said that HD was going to be bigger than DVD or anything else since color, five years ago 1 OUT OF TEN were HD, today 9 out of ten.
Hard to beleive that there was a war over adopting a HD format.
Of course broadcasters didnt want it, only the prospect of using frequencies for free got the ball rolling.
Even after it was adopted you had people like the president of FOX broadcasting
mad as hell, vowing to fight it all the way, he declared that fox would only broadcast in 480p , and filed a lawsuit against the type of signal used, claiming it wasnt "robust"
enough. of course he lost, he just didnt want to pay for the conversion to HD, is all.
Wonder what ever happened to him.
And I am not surprized, broadcasters and others have fought every advance in home entertainment. It took years to get a stereo standard, even one with a lousy 27 db of
channel seperation. They were talking about "their" industrial plant ( TV sets bought by consumers!!) being obsoleted. To them a liscense for a TV station was a money tree,
if they had their way they would still be broadcasting in black and white.
Actually, stuff like mandated improvements probably saved them, without having their arms twisted we'd be living in a Japanese HD world, with their inferiour format, and broadcasters would be scrambling to play catch up:1:

markw
12-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Haven't heard a word about here in the home of the Sopranos, though.

It might be worth my calling them and fighting their telephone menu system to see what's up.

JSE
12-19-2007, 06:44 AM
My AT&T cable service just added 6 or 7 new channels on 12/17 to their lineup which is something like 35 or 38 channels now. No price increase though. Still the flat rate of $10 per month of HD.

L.J.
12-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Idiots!! I called a week ago and they told me they had no clue when I would get more channels. I did get a few more but not Sci-fi :incazzato:

pixelthis
12-19-2007, 11:31 PM
We can all thank Direc tv, those 85 (soon to be over a hundred) are looming large.
Yeah, 95% of sci-fi channel is trash, but like robert silverburg (or philip k. Dick?)
said, 95% of everything is trash.
And their service has improved a great deal, those tales fron the darkside,
while chintzy, take me back, I just wish I could have seen tinman in HD.
Thing is even standard def is lookin really good, but then again sd digital gas always looked pretty good on my system.
And I need to say, I have NEVER been a big cable fan, having two direc and one dish
system.
But they are doing great, and I beleive in rewarding a good effort:1:

jamison
01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Uggg I have time warner.... i was gettin 7 or 8 channels after installing my sony bravia.... then i lost the Discovery in HD... which was a favorite.. well guess what... for 8.99 a month more plus 7.99 a month more to rent the settop box to decode the discovery channel and some other useless movie channel. im like my tv has a modern digital tuner why do i need the settop box.. im already maxed out on space as it is. oh and they wanted 25.00 install fee as well.. i told them if they forgo the install fee and give me a price on buying the settop box ill give them a years commitment ... and as expected they said no...directv would be nice but i had it a few yrs back and my neighbor wont let me cut his trees down so i can get a signal.

Mr Peabody
01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
You can thank me later Pix.

http://earthlink.com.com/2100-1041_3-6225159.html?part=earthlink

that link should give you wood again

pixelthis
01-10-2008, 01:45 AM
You can thank me later Pix.

http://earthlink.com.com/2100-1041_3-6225159.html?part=earthlink

that link should give you wood again

What do you mean "again" you old tube worshiper?
Really tho, is this the same company that took three freakin years to convert over to MTS ???
This is the kind of visionary stab at the future that is really exciting, something new instead of re-inventing the friggin wheel.
I know you like cablecard (I DONT) but this is cablecard without the cablecard, you oughta love it.
The optical disc purveyours , who are always reinventing the "wheel" (or disc) better get
their act together, in a hurry, or they'll find that the world has passed them by while they were fussin and fightin.
Kudos to Comcast, I'll be patient as long as they keep making an effort:1:

Mr Peabody
01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
What are you complaining about Charter just went "digital" just this past summer. I doubt if anything like that ever hits here.

pixelthis
01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
What are you complaining about Charter just went "digital" just this past summer. I doubt if anything like that ever hits here.

GOOD POINT

If the country ever needs an enema Charter HQ is where they'll stick the hose.
Dont know if its still true but we were always a "test" market, always got records and stuff because of our wide demograpic.
Hope thats true in this case:1: