What music would you buy an 11-yr-old girl? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What music would you buy an 11-yr-old girl?

ForeverAutumn
12-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I wanted to buy my 11-yr-old niece a CD for Christmas. I don't know what kind of music she listens to on her own. I thought about Finger Eleven for the song Paralyzer, but the rest of the disk is kind of heavy. I think that she might like the Scissor Sisters for their quirkiness, but the lyrics don't really bode well for family listening. I ended up with The Killers, Hot Fuss. A good CD, fun, you can dance to it (if you're into that kind of thing), not too heavy, and no explicit lyrics. Time will tell whether it was a good choice.

I have until Saturday to exchange The Killers for something else if anyone has any suggestions.

3-LockBox
12-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Journey

:lol:

Ok ok - My 11yr old daughter likes country, so its easy for me. Since you're buying an old CD anyway, try My Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, Kelly Clarkson, etc. If she is a YouTube or MySpace user, use that as a tool.

Billy Gay Virus' daughter has a CD out and it gets a lot of hits on YouTube. Funny story, I logged onto YouTube a long time ago and never logged out, and there is my user name on several comments for an Ally & AJ video.

johnny p
12-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Get her music you like, as long as you say "hey this is one of my favorites" if she looks up to you, she'll make herself like it!

my brother who is 20 years my senior got me hooked on Little Feat and the Doors when I was a kid (I've since CLOSED the Doors on "the doors" but love Little Feat, and other improvisational music)

Finch Platte
12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Check these guys (http://www.hidelinks.com/?ka68t22dfh) out. If I had a little girl, I'd see if she liked 'em. Password is 'jukeboxer'.

The Elephants

Mixing the pop sound of the 60s and 70s with surf,
alt. country and some new ideas, the group has
specialized in subtle but catchy songwriting that
aims straight for the heart on both the one in love
and the heartbroken.

Without any record or management deal The Elephants
went on their first US tour in autumn 2006, playing
shows at well-reputed venues such as the Mercury
Lounge and Knitting Factory in New York, Southpaw
in Brooklyn and Maxwellís in New Jersey.
Back home from this inspiring adventure, the group
has been recording its debut album with producer
Morten Bue (Figurines, Sterling, Moi Caprice) who
also recorded the two songs ìShiversî and
ìValentineís Dayî with the band last summer.
The last EP ìSpecial Thingî showed a more
experimenting side of the group, adding piano, lap
steel, violin and flute to the ingredients. The new
album is not going to change that direction; spys
from the recording studio are mentioning a wind
section, ukulele, toy keyboards and a string
orchestra from the 50s to be some of the new
quirks.

So far, the playful elephants have received good
critical acclaim from the Danish reviewers, and
last year the band was selected to be band of the
week at the leading Danish music weblog Mymusic.dk.
In addition, a lot of shows in Copenhagen and
support shows for hyped groups like Hotchip (UK),
The Blue Van (DK) and Au Revoir Simone (US) have
made The Elephants known as a breathtaking live
act. Mads Just Olesen, the live editor at
Mymusic.dk, wrote after the bandís last show at the
venue Loppen: ìThey are making an unusual good and
unusual ingenuous impression. Everyone who has
listened to their newest EP Lazybones knows what
Iím talking about. Also this ordinary Wednesday
night at Loppen the message was clear. Without a
hitch The Elephants lead us through an hour of real
happy California-feeling...

The Elephants are based in Copenhagen and consist
of the two singers and guitar-players Bjarke
Bendtsen and Martine Madsen, the bass-player Rasmus
Nybo and Kristian Berg behind the drums. The
group's fifth member is the beloved odd-job man
Mads Ringblom playing the harmonica, theremin,
tambourine and other funny things.

fp

ForeverAutumn
12-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks Finchy. It's been a while since I've heard anything this bubble gum sweet. It sounds like it could get boring after a few spins, but then again most kids could sit and watch the Lion King over and over again for days on end. Is music the same for them?

What I'd like to know is...where did you find this?

BarryL
12-20-2007, 07:25 PM
I wanted to buy my 11-yr-old niece a CD for Christmas.

...she'll be twelve soon.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions. She likes story songs and progressive rock. Right now she's listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in the car. She's a big Spock's Beard fan, and loves '70s Renaissance. She likes Dave Carter and Al Stewart, but not as much as her sister.

Here's an idea. Save your money and make her a collection of song's you love. Story songs are preferrable to prog-metal.

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2007, 06:42 AM
...she'll be twelve soon.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions. She likes story songs and progressive rock. Right now she's listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in the car. She's a big Spock's Beard fan, and loves '70s Renaissance. She likes Dave Carter and Al Stewart, but not as much as her sister.

Here's an idea. Save your money and make her a collection of song's you love. Story songs are preferrable to prog-metal.

Ah, so you're teaching the ankle biter about carpet crawlers are you? :)

You chimed in too late. I don't have time to make a comp. She's getting The Killers CD and she'll like it.

Well somebody told me
You had a boyfriend
Who looked like a girlfriend
That I had in February of last year

That's a story...sort of.

nobody
12-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Personally, I would never purport to think I could determine what an 11 year old would consider cool.

audiobill
12-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Hey FA.

Spice Girls Greatest Hits will do the trick -- they are big among the pre, twee, teen, and post-teen again.

Cheers,

Bill

melvin walker
12-23-2007, 07:23 AM
I wanted to buy my 11-yr-old niece a CD for Christmas. I don't know what kind of music she listens to on her own. I thought about Finger Eleven for the song Paralyzer, but the rest of the disk is kind of heavy. I think that she might like the Scissor Sisters for their quirkiness, but the lyrics don't really bode well for family listening. I ended up with The Killers, Hot Fuss. A good CD, fun, you can dance to it (if you're into that kind of thing), not too heavy, and no explicit lyrics. Time will tell whether it was a good choice.

I have until Saturday to exchange The Killers for something else if anyone has any suggestions.

Why not music by Tchaikovsky , the Nutcracker , or Charlie Brown's , A Charlie Brown Christmas , by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.
If she is not familiar with Tchaikovsky , you might wish to expose her. her peers will expose her to the other music.