Good News Bad News. My system was Stolen [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good News Bad News. My system was Stolen

salad 419
12-18-2007, 06:41 AM
OK, stolen is not the proper word, but I rarely get to listen to my system.

In order to get the wifey interested in my hobby, I made the mistake of gearing my audio system for home theater double duty so she could be happy when she watches movies. Unfortunately, she's almost always on the couch watching movies so my listening time is very limited.

I've got the go ahead to make a studio/jam room/computer room/bar/man room in the basement. I've been told that I CANNOT take the Quad 22L's with me because she likes them and they match her entertainment stand. Wow, the WAF once again is causing problems. This time in reverse.

So, I'm going to build a dual purpose PA/2-channel system for the basement.

I'll use cheap PA speakers for band practice and some good speakers for listening, but I'm going to drive them off of the same amp, switching as necessary.

Any recommendations on an amp that will fulfill double duty? Would a Mixer serve as a good enough Pre-Amp? Should I use a reciever as the pre since it would be much cheaper than a dedicated Pre-amp?

Since I finally got a source other than my $39 DVD player(are they called stop-gaps?) I LOVE the Quads and the system is "close" to a sound I find acceptable as far as brightness/warmth/tonality, etc. I'm not saying it's perfect or anything of that nature, but I'm looking for CHEAP Pre-Pro, Speakers, etc. that will give me similar qualities. Obviously, I'm going for better sound than in my HT setup upstairs that I really enjoy as a 2 channel setup. I would really like some suggestions to keep the warm, detailed sound with totally different equipment than I have upstairs.

Thanks guys.

basite
12-18-2007, 06:45 AM
alot of PA speakers are active, so no need for a poweramp, just use the preouts on the integrated/receiver/preamp...

get a good amp for decent speakers though :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert