Getting speaker laquered? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting speaker laquered?

Peter_Klim
12-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Not sure if I am spelling it correctly, but has anyone ever gotten their wood veneer speakers "laquered"?

Wondering what the cost is in getting it done and who to take it to.

In addition, I was thinking of getting the front and top of my speakers veneered to match the rest of the veneer. Any idea on how much that would cost?

I have most of this 5.1 system (the .1 is of another brand that won't require any mods and the surrounds are on the way):
http://www.avrev.com/equip/dalisuite28/

pixelthis
12-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Go to a cabinet shop, a good one.
A friend and I were checking into puttin a black "piano" finish on some speakers,
dont remember the price but it was high. A lot of speaker finishes are vinyl.
The closest they got to a forest was passing one in a truck on the way to the store,
so that has to come off first:1:

basite
12-18-2007, 02:43 AM
Not sure if I am spelling it correctly, but has anyone ever gotten their wood veneer speakers "laquered"?

Wondering what the cost is in getting it done and who to take it to.

In addition, I was thinking of getting the front and top of my speakers veneered to match the rest of the veneer. Any idea on how much that would cost?

I have most of this 5.1 system (the .1 is of another brand that won't require any mods and the surrounds are on the way):
http://www.avrev.com/equip/dalisuite28/

if would for sure lower the value of the speakers...

I wouldn't do it, only with cheaper vintage speakers, not with new dali's...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

johnny p
12-18-2007, 05:18 AM
but................. if you're trying to keep them only for your own enjoyment, and don't intend on selling them, or are not concerned with the resale (which I don't believe would lower much if at all if you document they were refinished properly) I'd go for it...... I'd take it to a very high-end furniture/antique refinisher and see what they quote out for it.

O'Shag
01-04-2008, 06:04 PM
I think there are certain laquers that are suitable for painting on the veneers. Look at Sonus Fabre or KEF. To the best of my knowledge several of there speakers are coated in laquer. The person applying the laquer is probably coated with liquor.

Peter_Klim
01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I think there are certain laquers that are suitable for painting on the veneers. Look at Sonus Fabre or KEF. To the best of my knowledge several of there speakers are coated in laquer. The person applying the laquer is probably coated with liquor.

Right, even Dali themselve have the higher end spkears laquered.

Thanks to all who replied!