Need opinions on Yamaha HTR 5660/ RX-V640 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on Yamaha HTR 5660/ RX-V640

kexodusc
03-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi all,

My brother is looking at these 2 models, and unless I'm mistaken they are the exact same thing, other than price and few letters.
He wants to upgrade from the RX-V795a to something with 6.1 audio, Pro-Logic II, DTS EX or whatever, Neo 6 etc...basically all the goodies that Yammie's chip has.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these models. He was looking at the RX-V740, but has decided for $100 he can live without 5 watts per channel, On screen display (he has never used it on his current RX-V795a) and the slightly fancier remote.
The 5660 model is another 49 dollars cheaper across town. I can't talk him up $400 or so to the 1400 model so don't even try.
I'm reluctant to tell him to go with the HTR-5660 in case I've overlooked something, but it is cheaper for some reason.

Also, as far as power goes, his current receiver is rated at 85 watts per channel, so are these 2 Yammies. The power numbers on the back of the 640 unit itself suggest it's a larger, more powerful unit than his current 795a, but now there' s an extra channel to drive...I can't see this making much of a difference, but just thought I'd ask.
We've checked out some Denons and H/K's in his price range but they just don't seem to sound as good, and I think he's had such good experience with the Yammie he's a little bit "brand loyal", but are there any other receivers out there worth looking at?

uncooked
03-01-2004, 03:39 PM
all i can say is the 5660 sounds awsome. i havent heard the other rxv line model. but yea there pretty much the same.

spacedeckman
03-01-2004, 04:21 PM
The 5 watts per channel difference between a 640 and 740 is absolutely meaningless. Trying to compare output power between a 795 and a 640 isn't very straightforward either. The 795 has a far better amplifier, but the 640/740 has a better pre-amp section. The 795 was an $800 receiver, so you should be able to see that it is what eventually became the 1400, which lists for the same. You and your brother are using the wrong parameters to figure out the differences between the receivers. Numbers are deceiving, which is what makes buying by the numbers so hazardous.

The 740 will net you onscreen (which he doesn't care about), a phono input (which he many not care about), and a better remote with learning capability. I personally don't care about on-screen display, but the other two would be on my "have to" list, personally, that is. I would buy the 740, if it were to be my main system. Well, actually I would look for a new or demo RXV1300 before I wrote my check.

That said, it is my opinion, and Woodman's, that you probably couldn't find a better receiver for the money. You may want to try to find a deal on an RXV1300, which would probably only run you $100 to 150 over what the 640 would cost you. Then you would pretty much have it all, and he would be making more of a lateral move rather than a step back on the amplifier side as he is considering now.

kexodusc
03-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Great post Spacedeckman:

A few questions:
How do you know the amplifier in the 795a is better? What am I missing here? I doubt he'd want to step down in power. We seem to have obtained some inaccurate advice from our salesperson, we were led to believe the 640 would be a lateral move on the amplifier side.

He can probably "extra $100" himself to death, so maybe suggesting the 1400 model again is worth a shot.

Never thought of the phono input, he'll definitely want that, so now we're up to at least a 740, probably the 1300 like you've said.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me he paid only 600 or 700 for the 795a, maybe it was clearance priced, you sure you're remembering the same unit?

Thanks

spacedeckman
03-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Back in the old days (a few years ago ending with the RX-V800, the model number for the $800 and $1000 pieces were pretty much what the model number was. (aka, the 995 of the same era was $1000 list). Although the first real "big step" was the 995, the 795 was built off of essentially the same chassis, where the 595 had more in common with the smaller receivers than the 795. The split wasn't as hard as it is today with the 440 through the 740 being built on the same chassis, and the 1400 and 2400 being built on another.

Most of the $300 price difference between a 595 and a 795 went into the amplifier and power supply. The 595 was a great $500 receiver for its day, but it gets caught in the "price point thing", trying to hold the price down. Then as well as today, the $500 price point is often trying to squeeze a bit more out than probably should be tried, but the $500 customer wants lots of bells and whistles and is less concerned with amplifier quality. They tend to be more of a "watts and features" type of customer rather than someone who is looking for more real world performance. I realize that these last couple of sentences are gross generalizations, but, it is the trend of the marketplace.

Basically, if you want reinforcement of what I just told you, pick up his 795 and then go to the store and pick up a current 640/740, heck, just compare it with the 1400 sitting next to it, you will notice a big difference in weight...that's where a lot of your money went. Transformers are expensive.

Hope this helps your cause.

kexodusc
03-02-2004, 04:52 AM
Wow
I bought a 795a used last summer for $200 and gave it to my parents...I want it back now.

So we're looking at the RX-V1300 or 1400 or higher than for a reasonable upgrade. I still contend that with the price differences I'm seeing between the 1300 and 1400 one would be crazy not to take the 1400.
We'll have to do some more shopping or play the waiting game for the newer models to come out in a few months.
Patience is thin when it comes to buying new equipment :)

Thanks again, Spacedeckman, you're one of the good ones!

kexodusc
03-02-2004, 05:13 AM
Actually Spacedeckman, upon further review the 795a and 640/740 weight the exact same. 28lbs, 10 ounces.
The 1400 is about 6 lbs heavier.

The salesperson has also assured us the power supply in the 640 is in fact slightly larger and the overall receiver slightly better than the 795a. Although I have doubt as to whether he just wants the sale.

Is there any easy way for us to verify, anything in the specs to look for? He's probably going to have to do a side by side demo or something...

spacedeckman
03-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Amp is better on 795a, and front end is better on new stuff. Improvements came starting with the RXV800 which was the next model. PS: in reality, I think a 795 is really heavier. Yamaha gets weights wrong in literature a lot. It's one place I don't think anyone ever goes back to check or correct from engineering estimates.

kexodusc
03-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Spacedeckman:
A few observations. We went back to the store. As near as both of us can tell, the 795a is about the same weight as the 740 and 640 units...the 540 and 440 are noticeably lighter, the 1400 and 2400 a bit heavier.
I think you are right about the amplifier section though...with some of the extra gadgets on the 740 and the larger chassis, the 740 should be heavier, all things equal. Our salesperson got frustrated with us when we again suggested the 795a had a better amplifier. I won't doubt you though...personally, I think he's nuts to dump 300 or 400 to make a move sideways (or at least only a small step ahead). Go big or go home from here on.

I can't imagine the jump to 6.1+ being that much of an improvement over 5.1, but we'll see.
He is eye-balling an RX-V1300 on for $425...that is an impressive unit and the price seems reasonable. Too much of a jump in price for the RX-V1400 for him I think.

On a side note, if I've got my Yammie history right, and according to a couple Yamaha brochures I have, the 995 was replaced by the 1000, the 1200, 1300, and 1400.
The 795a replaced by the 800 and...seems this market may have been dropped for whatever reason. Possibly because the 1300/1400 are cheaper for consumers than the 995 was.

I've also heard that Yamaha has some new models on the way in a month or two. Might be worth his while to wait.
Thanks again for your advice.

spacedeckman
03-02-2004, 07:43 PM
The new stuff will be small. 1400 is new and won't be replaced soon. You will be back to the lateral move thing, but the features will be better.

That's what I would do in your situation.

Good luck, and have fun.

kexodusc
03-03-2004, 11:05 AM
The new stuff will be small. 1400 is new and won't be replaced soon. You will be back to the lateral move thing, but the features will be better.

That's what I would do in your situation.

Good luck, and have fun.
UPDATE: He took the advice and "Snarfed" up the 1300. Damn nice receiver, way better than my 795a.
I was going to hold out for 1400, but at that price, I'm second guessing myself.
Thanks for all your help Spacedeckman!

spacedeckman
03-03-2004, 05:57 PM
The 1300 will make the 795a sound like it was broken. It's all due to the front end work Yamaha did starting with the 800/1000 models. They were way better sounding than they had a right to be, and the 1300 was even better.

Glad I could help