1080 or 720? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 1080 or 720?

Mark4583
12-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Is there a noticeable diffrence when playing a HD/Blue ray disc on a 1080 or 720?
With all the mumbo jumbo when trying to mezerize me with specs to sell a HDTV to me, What specs or features should I look for or pay more attention to?
Im thinking of getting a Pioneer Elite 91txh or 90txh if not one of those possibly a Yammy RX-V861BL or RX-V661BL, any thoughts on these recivers would be appreciated/
Thanks

markw
12-17-2007, 02:51 PM
a lot depends on screen size anvd viewing distance.

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

If you want to skip the fine print, just click on the chart.

L.J.
12-17-2007, 04:19 PM
What's your budget for an AVR?

If you can get the 91, go for it. Especially if you plan on getting one of the newer HDDVD or Bluray player that is able to output DTSMA via HDMI for decoding.

I would also suggest you take a look at the Onkyo 805. CC has it going for only $699 sometimes.

The Yammies aren't a bad choice either, but remember they are only HDMI v1.1. The player will have to do any HD audio decoding and you would be limited to MC PCM, TrueHD & DD+. No player are able to decode DTSMA yet.

pixelthis
12-18-2007, 01:16 AM
EYEBALL IT
Thats all you can do. THE BRAIN IS GONNA MAKE UP ITS OWN MIND ANYWAY.
Ever look at old VHS tapes? Remember VHS had an "hq" series of improvements.
Wel those old tapes look nasty, what? How could you ever have watched it?
Well, your brain filled in the holes, and the "color palete" was so broad it looked sharper than it actually was.
I was ready to poo poo 1080p but I must admit I look at it and go home and cuss my TV,
ITS THAT GOOD.
If you're buying a new set you need 1080p, silly not to get anything else.
And a 72 hz refresh rate is key too, this allows for "pixel for pixel" presentation
of movies( 24+24_24= 72)
They show the same frame 3 times, no 3:2 pulldown.
Only consider 720 (or 766) if you need to save money, they can be had cheaper now.
And you might not "need" 1080p, 720 might be fine for you:1:

GMichael
12-18-2007, 08:42 AM
What size?
How far away do you sit?
What have you looked at so far and where?

Mark4583
12-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Viewing distince will be about 12ft and im thinking around 40-50 in, I havent really looked at any. other than casual browsing, at this point mostly researching and comparing on line for when I do go get one.
Most likely be from Best buy's since there offering the 2 year %0 financing.
as of now my cable is not Digital but im thinking about Dir Tv, but HD will be more important when playing movies via HD or BlueRay depending on what seems to take the lead.
So il most likely try to get the TV and Reciever at the same time and just stay with my Pioneer DvD atm till later.
Thanks for the replies

pixelthis
12-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Viewing distince will be about 12ft and im thinking around 40-50 in, I havent really looked at any. other than casual browsing, at this point mostly researching and comparing on line for when I do go get one.
Most likely be from Best buy's since there offering the 2 year %0 financing.
as of now my cable is not Digital but im thinking about Dir Tv, but HD will be more important when playing movies via HD or BlueRay depending on what seems to take the lead.
So il most likely try to get the TV and Reciever at the same time and just stay with my Pioneer DvD atm till later.
Thanks for the replies
When I got my first HD set DVD was important, playing dvd at 480p was about all you had.
Now there are choices, a good HD source is very important.
Trust me on this.
As for distance from the picture you can get a LOT closer to an HD picture.
I use my TV for a comp monitor, so I sit pretty close, fliped it over to count the number of HD channels and there was Eric Clapton on MHD , about four feet away, playing "coccain",
and GOD what a picture!:1:

AVMASTER
12-19-2007, 06:16 AM
there's still a few more questions to consider to help narrow your choice. Where in the home will this display go, i.e. family room, basement, etc.. Will the display be wall mounted? What kind of programs do you watch or will this display be for movies only? Are you married? Do you own any gaming consoles?
When we have a "walk-in " customer with a request like yours, they are shown whats' availalble then asked a series of questions ; placement can help determine the type of display- a relatively dark basement area can become a dedicated theater with a front projector. Walling mounting can help determine features, viewing angles, accessories and cabling required. Programming can help determine display features and capabilities, i.e. a big sports fan may want to consider something with a faster respone time. Married couples may want to consider the look and design of the display, but more critical for significant others can be the ease of operation. Theres' a bunch more questions that can be asked and these may seem like sales tactics ( they are ) but to get the right display for YOUR needs, they need to be answered