Good movies right now! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good movies right now!

jim goulding
12-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Went to see I Am Legend last night and they were sold out! Mostly high school aged kids seemed to me. Guess they're getting off on the special effects seen in the trailers. But Will Smith has a younger audience too, I expect. You know, I Robot and that.

So I come home and watch The Critics Circle on the tube talking about all the movies to be nominated and it made me realize that I haven't seen squat! Ain't seen Eastern Promises, No Country For Old Men, Michael Clayton (told ya'll bout my girl Tilda Swinton), and don't even know if the movies directed by Sean Penn and Sidney Lumet are out yet! And that's not even mentioning a flick I saw a clip from whose lead actress just floored me with her nonchalant acting, JUNO. The scene was hilarious, too.

So, enlighten me . . what am I missing? What's a must see, yo?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-16-2007, 04:55 PM
I went to see the Golden Compass last night. I thought it was pretty good, but my buddy didn't get it at all. He is not a big fantasy movie type. I now know why the Catholic Church rails against this movie, it implies the church elders and leaders are a bunch of control freaks wanting to control you thoughts and moves(sounds much like real life).

They took the everyone has a spirit, and turned it into everyone has a personal daemon(not spelled demon) that works with them to do good or bad.

I went to New Line site after the movie was over, and found out that my daemon is a female spider named Androny. Imagine that, the thing that gives the creeps the most, is my friend. Good movie for fantasy lovers.

Troy
12-16-2007, 05:05 PM
No Country for Old Men is a must see.

musicman1999
12-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Jim

If you are referring to the young girl in Juno, her name is Ellen Page and she is an insanely talented
20 year old from here in Halifax.She was in the last X-Men(Kitty Pride)but most of her time has been spent in indie films, i believe she got a Golden Globe nomination for Juno.She is very good and has many awards in her future.

bill

jim goulding
12-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Music- I don't doubt it. That 20 second clip with her was huge! Terrible Terry- You make that movie sound very interesting. Mo, please.

johnny p
12-17-2007, 05:26 AM
I want to see No Country for Old Men....... I've heard nothing but great feedback from those who have seen it.

sgt bass08
12-17-2007, 05:43 AM
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2216/9856034/18439972/293471527.jpg

Hitman I want to see it again. It's awsome and makes me want to play the games! lol. Timothy Olyphant is one of my favorite actors and he does a great job in it. Newcomer Olga Kurylenko was also really good. The action and some comedic dialogue keep it flowing very well. :18:

KoKoKo
12-19-2007, 08:32 AM
fear and loathing in las vegas - BEST movie forever & ever!!!:3:

johnny p
12-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Great movie, yes.........but a little off topic! There's a "Snowday Movie" thread with multiple references to hallucinations...... your Fear and Loathing moment of tourett's would fit in nicely there!

jim goulding
12-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks, Troy, saw No Country For Old Men last night. After you guys see this, it may be a couple of days before you want to see another flick tho, rent The Dancer Upstairs. This features Javier Bardem in a totally different role- he plays a good guy in this and he so obviously has something going on that you can see why the Coen bros were fixated on getting him. He has a real easy manner about him in this and I suspect women adore this guy. John Malkovich directs and it's very good. But, what made the Coen bros think Bardem could do their guy?? They know their own strengths, I suspect.

I love the way the Coen bros let their audience unravel what's goin on. This is a neat trick in Blood Simple too, the Coen bros first movie for those of you who don't know and there has never been anything quite like it in my movie days. No Country is pure existentialism. The good guys don't win in this. No sir. Life is hard in this mofo and while most of the characters are motivated by understandable things, the central character is, well, you be the judge. The good ole boys comment on the decay of their world often. Tommy Lee is just mystified and disappointed, I think, a man in the middle. Only the bad guy and the protagonist's wife seem content. Not that there is any rest for them.

It is outstanding craft as the Coen bros are famous for and based on a book that I haven't read so my comments are just about the movie. Grim, indeed.

jim goulding
12-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Er uh, is there an award for threadkiller around here? Cause I think I could get a lot of votes!