A snow day and The Wall. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A snow day and The Wall.

ForeverAutumn
12-16-2007, 09:28 AM
It’s a snow day here. Even curling has been cancelled tonight. You know it’s a hard core storm when the Curlers don’t even want to go out!

Anyway, I spent this morning wrapping gifts and watching Pink Floyd’s The Wall (I know it’s not very festive but what the hell).

I think that most people write this movie off as a “rock” movie. It really doesn’t get the accolades that it deserves. I love this movie, not just for the killer soundtrack but for the all-around brilliance of this film.

The story is a great social statement about how one ****ed up person with great influence can get an army of followers to do things to further their leaders cause, regardless of morality (aka Hitler, Rawanda, and other attrocities of our time). The scene at the end of the film where the children are cleaning up after a bombing always brings a tear to my eye…for the seeming normalcy to them of what they are doing and the hope for the future that is symbolized.

The animation is absolute genius IMO. The use of sexuality to define the characters just sets the ambience (if that’s the right word) of the film perfectly.

The editing is outstanding. I noticed this mostly towards the end when flashes of the film are being repeated during the trial. You can sense the confusion and conflicting emotions that Pink is feeling from this editing sequence.

This film gets a lot of attention from my generation, but really it is so much more than that and deserves to be on any “best of films” list, yet so rarely, if ever, is.

johnny p
12-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I have a hard time watching The Wall, or Yellow Submarine, etc. .... I'm liable to have a flashback!!!!!

Great movie though, moving...

GMichael
12-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Snow day? Our snow got semi-canceled. The weather-people said 14 inches of the fluffy stuff but we ended up with 3 inches of brick hard snow that my car drove over the top of. Worthless bunch of.... Oh, The Wall?

I saw The Wall many times. It definitely stirred some emotions from me. (Maybe that was the chemical warfare ingredients I was taking) It was a brilliant, but very sad movie. I was going through a breakup the first time I saw it. The part where he was calling his wife and she was in bed with another guy killed me.

Troy
12-17-2007, 11:22 AM
The story is a great social statement about how one ****ed up person with great influence can get an army of followers to do things to further their leaders cause, regardless of morality

Seen Fight Club? Man, that movie really took this concept to surreal levels.

I liked the Wall movie more than the album, saw it at the midnight movies several times.

ForeverAutumn
12-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Snow day? Our snow got semi-canceled. The weather-people said 14 inches of the fluffy stuff but we ended up with 3 inches of brick hard snow that my car drove over the top of. Worthless bunch of....

Here's a picture of my snow day. This is my back yard last night. That big mushroomy thing on the left is our patio table and what we use to measure snowfall. The little mushroomy thing in the distance is a birdbath...almost completely buried. As you can see, it was still snowing a bit when I took this.

ForeverAutumn
12-17-2007, 07:05 PM
There are two steps down from our patio door to our patio. This picture was taken from my living room floor and shows how high up the drift came. Several inches above the top step.

basite
12-18-2007, 02:41 AM
looks like you could have an awesome snow fight there :cornut:

sgt bass08
12-18-2007, 04:05 AM
Here's a picture of my snow day. This is my back yard last night. That big mushroomy thing on the left is our patio table and what we use to measure snowfall. The little mushroomy thing in the distance is a birdbath...almost completely buried. As you can see, it was still snowing a bit when I took this.

man i wish we had snow lilke that in England uk all we get is rain rain rain :sad:

Worf101
12-18-2007, 05:48 AM
man i wish we had snow lilke that in England uk all we get is rain rain rain :sad:
Be careful what you wish for mate. Its wonderful, snow is wonderful, till you're 21 and gotta go to work no matter what. I'm now 50+ years old and trust me, I've little love left for the stuff. Perhaps when I retire and "no place to go and no place to be" I'll love snow again. But for now, it is merely another foe to be grappled with!!!

Da Worfster

GMichael
12-18-2007, 06:39 AM

My wife felt that way too. She's from the Philippines, where it never snows. She kept asking when it would snow here so she could see it. The first time we got some she jumped out the door to go play in it. She was out there for about 20 seconds. Now she hates it. She gets upset if it just flurries.

bobsticks
12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Be careful what you wish for mate. Its wonderful, snow is wonderful, till you're 21 and gotta go to work no matter what. I'm now 50+ years old and trust me, I've little love left for the stuff. Perhaps when I retire and "no place to go and no place to be" I'll love snow again. But for now, it is merely another foe to be grappled with!!!

Da Worfster

Amen, Worfster.

As an aside we had snow at this level for about twenty minutes on Saturday night before a northeasterly wind turned everything to slush. Fortunately, the temperature has dropped again turning the roads into large sheets of ice which scared my midwestern neighbors into hibernation.