R U hip? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : R U hip?

Jim Clark
12-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Looking to order up some Wire 180 gram vinyl reissues as a Christmas gift "suggestion" and came across the Indie Rock in a Box at insound. How many of their top 100 sellers in 2007 do you have? http://www.insound.com/holiday_top100.php

27 here

jc

Davey
12-15-2007, 08:30 AM
I've only got 8. Sounds like a deal made for me. You sure have turned into an indie hipster snob in recent times, huh Jimbo? Anyone heard that Menomena? Seems to be popular. I'll probably pick up the Iron and Wine and Band of Horses at some point. Don't have the Wilco or Arcade Fire yet, I'd like to get that and Pinback and maybe the Besnard Lakes. Not much else.

NP: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21THZ412QDL._AA115_.jpg

Jim Clark
12-15-2007, 08:54 AM
I've only got 8. Sounds like a deal made for me. You sure have turned into an indie hipster snob in recent times, huh Jimbo? Anyone heard that Menomena? Seems to be popular. I'll probably pick up the Iron and Wine and Band of Horses at some point. Don't have the Wilco or Arcade Fire yet, I'd like to get that and Pinback and maybe the Besnard Lakes. Not much else.

NP: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21THZ412QDL._AA115_.jpg

I guess, maybe. Still lots of other stuff I'm buying and listening to as well. Plus a couple of those I'm not super sure would really qualify as "indie" And just because I have them, doesn't mean I care for a lot of them. If push came to shove I could probably narrow it down to 8 that I really like : )

I really need to curb my impulse buying.

jc

Slosh
12-15-2007, 09:14 AM
I have 28 but three or four of them are from 2006. I guess that makes me 72% uncool or something :rolleyes:

NP:

johnny p
12-15-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't have any on that list..... I guess I'm Extra UnCool, so others don't have to be!

Jim Clark
12-15-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't have any on that list..... I guess I'm Extra UnCool, so others don't have to be!

Nothing? How'd the heck did that happen?

What on earth are you listening to these days. You aren't one of those progger guys are you? I see you have some CVs in your set up. Might you be a head banger? I know, that's awful prejudicial of me : )

jc

ForeverAutumn
12-15-2007, 08:14 PM
It looks like I'm as cool (or uncool) as Davey. I've got eight. But I happen to know that I'm getting the Feist CD for Xmas (I promised that I'd feign surprise). So that'll bump me up to nine.

Not bad for one of them progger types, eh?

Davey
12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
It looks like I'm as cool ... as Davey.

Careful - set your sights too high and you're almost guaranteed to fail. Maybe start out by just wanting to be as cool as Swish. Then, who knows, stranger things have happened ...

http://www.k-state.edu/udguidesite/gx/flying_pigs.jpg

jonnyhambone
12-15-2007, 10:09 PM
looks like I've got 11 of those releases. Most of them I'd rate pretty high and get some decent airtime...I'd say the Panda Bear and Grizzly Bear albums get the most play from the Insound list...what can I say, I'm from Montana - I dig the bears. I wouldn't be suprised to find myself in the store with a copy of Deerhunter and Menomena in hand before the end of the year.

bobsticks
12-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Clearly not, but I have 23 of them bad boys laying around the spread. I do give myself style points, however, for having a lot of cool old jazz and a recording of Armenian children whimpering in a hospital...

NP: http://www.songlyricscollection.com/lyrics/b/built-to-spill/perfect-from-now-on/perfect-from-now-on.jpg

Mike
12-17-2007, 02:15 AM
20 on this side of the pond, but I'm betting we share all share the same 20, Feist, Iron and Wine, Arcade Fire, National, Shins etc. Some of the others on that list were a big let down for me. Brownie points for Fujiya and Miyagi though.

Cheers
Mike

johnny p
12-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Nothing? How'd the heck did that happen?

What on earth are you listening to these days. You aren't one of those progger guys are you? I see you have some CVs in your set up. Might you be a head banger? I know, that's awful prejudicial of me : )

jc

nope... When were those CDs released??? I haven't bought a new disc in probably a year or more.... I listen to various things... mostly older stuff.... Lots of Santana, Classical, Dylan, The Band, Grateful Dead, Floyd, Clapton, Les Claypool, Van Morrison, Muddy Waters, Miles Davis, and other bands I've seen multiple times (Phish, Widespread Panic, YMSB, MOE, Danny Barnes, Tim O'Brien, EH)

I've said it elsewhere, but I have my 400 disc changer filled, and it only has 12 or fewer different artists in it...... I'm not exactly sure what a "Progger" is, I don't know what progressive music is even considered these days.... I can tell you one thing though.... I WILL NOT listen to the radio (only satelite radio)

I know it's not everyone's Cup-o-tea, but I have approximately 600 CDs worth of Grateful Dead, and 300 Phish...... I love live music, what I lose in the sound quality, I gain in my fond memories of the experience.

P.S.

The CVs were purchased my 1st year of college 10+ years ago, when I didn't know what good equipment was... As far as being a head-banger..... I pretty much hate every 80's band out there..... (except Winger.... Winger rocks! .....Only Kidding!!!)

The CVs are just the small bookshelfs for tempory use... The RE 30's (big 12" mains) sit in the basement, and occassionaly come out to be connected and stuck in the back of the jeep to rock out in the parking lot while tailgating at Browns games!!!!!

Maybe it's time for me to go to the store and buy some new Music eh???? I did go and try to pick up the Clapton Road from Escondido CD, but they didn't have it..... I'll go out, and plan on 10 new discs...... that should expand the library!

Troy
12-17-2007, 07:45 AM
None. Not a single one.

And I'm ok with that. And I laugh in the face of anyone who isn't.

Davey
12-17-2007, 08:12 AM
None. Not a single one.

I doubt anyone here really cares, but fun sometimes to compare. You'd probably really like that Battles Mirored CD. Kind of a proggy mix of great jam band musical chops with some electronic texturing, lots of time changes, manic drummer, almost a cartoonish quality at times, but seems meticulously crafted, just a ton of fun. One of the highest rated of the year by the critics, but don't let that stop you from checking it out.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IpGp-22t0lU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IpGp-22t0lU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Bernd
12-17-2007, 08:14 AM
.....over here. About half make the regular playlist.
As for being hip.......I damn well hope not.:)

Peace

:16:

Jim Clark
12-17-2007, 08:59 AM
None. Not a single one.

I am a bit surprised seeing how Ted Leo is on the list. I thought you liked him. I'd think that TV On The Radio might kind of be to your liking too. Now that I'm thinking about it I thought you liked Sigur Ros, at least a little bit. Might be wrong about that one though. At any rate, things have been kinda slow as per usual and it seemed like an innocent enough exercise. Just a bit of random goofiness.

jc

johnny p
12-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Kind of a proggy mix of great jam band musical chops with some electronic texturing, lots of time changes, manic drummer, almost a cartoonish quality at times, but seems meticulously crafted, just a ton of fun. >

Wait.... does this mean my "list" is considered by the people here, to be that four letter word "Prog" everyone here seems to be so adverse towards? If Les Claypool and Danny Barnes are "prog" I don't want to be "hip" !!

Troy
12-17-2007, 09:39 AM
You like that Battles song Dave?

Truth be told, I had that Battles album for about 15 minutes. I found it pretty annoying. Repetitive, mechanized, inorganic and just kinda pointless overall. It really left me cold.

I bought the Ted Leo album that came out after Tyranny and Distance and though it was really boring, so I never bought another one after that. I rarely listen to T&D now too.

Siggi Ros? No way. Dentist office music.

There's been a lot of press that 2007 was a great year for music, but I'm just not hearing it.

I just don't seem to give a rats ass about new music. Maybe jumping into the home recording scene and teaching myself music theory a couple of years ago demystified all music for me (someone warned me that might happen), but there really isn't much that impresses me anymore, I dunno. Everything is a rehash of something that came out 20, 30, 40 years ago. It all just feels like fashion to me, "Oh look, bellbottoms are back in style this year! Lets go psychedelic and sell a million units to the kids!"

And I still listen to as much music as ever, just not much that came out this year.

I'm not crapping on you or your thread Jim, but maybe I need a hip replacement. But then again, maybe too much stress is put on what's new and hip. It's all just hype swill overload to me.

Davey
12-17-2007, 10:56 AM
You like that Battles song Dave? I found it pretty annoying.

But I thought you liked annoying music? Hehehe, I do kind of like it. Seems fun and refreshing compared to a lot of new music. You're right that they do get very repetitive sometimes, but I still get the feel that it's always on the move, not just the same set of notes over and over. To be honest, what I've listened to wasn't enough to make me buy the CD because I find it a bit annoying too, but they are pretty good at what they are doing, and I do like that Atlas song, or maybe I just like the flashy video.

I didn't think it was a very good year musically either. Nothing really knocked me over with its goodness, but I still liked a lot of new music. I'm a lot easier than you though :)

BradH
12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Maybe jumping into the home recording scene and teaching myself music theory a couple of years ago demystified all music for me...

Yeah, but there's still an X factor that doesn't get down on paper. There are lots of people who know music theory but can't do anything interesting. Why? Who knows? Hard to de-mystify that aspect of it.

The Battles sound good enough but I'm thinking "Can meets Adam Ant meets Big Country meets...". That's the problem when you've heard tons of old stuff, nothing sounds new anymore. I don't have anything on this list. The only thing hip about me is knowing Davey.

Troy
12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
But I thought you liked annoying music?

Yeah, but it's a different kind of annoying music. Estradasphere's "Palace of Mirrors" is probably my favorite disc of 2007, but I'm kinda brain damaged that way.