Vintage Speaker Top Ten-Wish List??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Speaker Top Ten-Wish List???

thekid
12-15-2007, 04:40 AM
As has been noted in my recent threads here I have gotten hooked on searching the local thrifts for vintage equipment.

As I find different speakers out there I run across speaker brands I am unfamiliar with such as the RTR's I now own but I am often hesitant to buy them because I don't recognize the brand or model. So the question is what vintage speakers would you want or recommend on the oft chance I stumble across a pair?

BTW- They would I guess have to be 8 Ohm speakers since that is what my recievers are.

Feanor
12-15-2007, 09:03 AM
As has been noted in my recent threads here I have gotten hooked on searching the local thrifts for vintage equipment.

As I find different speakers out there I run across speaker brands I am unfamiliar with such as the RTR's I now own but I am often hesitant to buy them because I don't recognize the brand or model. So the question is what vintage speakers would you want or recommend on the oft chance I stumble across a pair?

BTW- They would I guess have to be 8 Ohm speakers since that is what my recievers are.

Vintage speakers, hmmm, here are few '70's models from the mid-range price range ...

Dynaco A25
AR 3a
AR 5
Rectalinear III
Braun/ADS 710 and 810
various KLH models -- can't remember the model nos.
various JBL models, e.g. L100 -- great rockers, terrible sound

Slippers On
12-15-2007, 03:18 PM
The world is a smaller place now so you can incorporate some British speakers among your wish list.

Kef CS1's
JR149's (Jim Rogers)

These are the best of the late 1970's and have become collector's pieces. The rubber surrounds don't fester and the speaker boxes were made by hand.

Slippers On

JohnMichael
12-15-2007, 03:38 PM
In my early days in audio I remember listening to the internally bi-amplified Advent loudspeakers. In those days they were quite impressive. They were not manufactured for too long a time and I think they were close to $1,000 a pair. At the time that seemed like a lot of money. As I remeber the sound was incredible. Please do not confuse these with wireless powered Advents.

Early KEF models were another brand of speakers I wanted.

thekid
12-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks all who have responded so far.

My search today turned up a single Klipsch Tangent that looked interesting but beside only being one it was missing the grill. While not vintage I did pick up a nice pair of Infinity Reference 2000.4 which I have added to my MB for listening to music.

squeegy200
12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
I remember

AR 9s Inefficient so it required a lot of power but nice.
Dahlquist DQ10s Also inefficient but easy to find replacement parts.
I've seen some Magneplanars in estate sales. They don't last too long and most require some level of refurbishment---Especially true if previous owners had cats!

I find a lot of Bose 901s in estate sales and Thrift stores.
These are not my cup of tea, HOWEVER, they are easy to rebuild and then resell for a tidy profit. They usually end up in estate sales because they are in need of care. And they usually sell for around $50-100 for the pair. After spending $60 on a rebuild kit, I resold my last pair for $550 at the online auction. That pair was on its way to the garbage bin when the previous owner was unsuccessful selling them at a garage sale so I acquired them for FREE.

2325fan
01-25-2008, 03:52 PM

pioneer hpm's 40,60, 100. 150,

ar3, ar4,

an some of the other ones that have responed to your thread

bubslewis
01-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Wharfdale, model 80 or 90. They are rather heavy since they're filled with sand. Manufactured in the 60's.

traugh
01-28-2008, 09:07 AM
There is a set of "The Radio People LTD" speakers on craigslist Ann Arbor right now. What the heck are these.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/ele/554239930.html

thekid
01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Wharfdale, model 80 or 90. They are rather heavy since they're filled with sand. Manufactured in the 60's.

Odd you mention those because I found a pair of very heavy speakers at a local thrift
that as I moved them to see what the brand might be it almost sounded like sand sliding but I just figured it was just the sound of the speaker moving against the carpet. These speakers had no markings on them other than the horn at the top said Speakerlab.

Could these be Wharfdales? There was absolutely no markings on the speakers but they were nice solid wood cabinets and I thought they were possible someone's DIY from a way back. The only other distinguishing feature was on the top of the speaker there was a gold colored inlay on each side.

hifitommy
02-23-2008, 10:28 AM
i personally had a pair of monitor jrs which were quite a good all around speakers. great bass down to at least 30hz, a nice airy top, and great imaging.

another was the 2000A three way with electrostatic tweeters and GORGEOUS rosewood finishes.

acoustat is another brand that was loaded with great sounding models. model 2s, 2+2s, and 1+1s were standouts. and they would play loudly unlike quads which ave to be babied a bit.

thekid
03-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Now that I own a pair of DCM TF 500's (and soon a pair of 600's) I am adding early DCM's to my watch. Not a brand often discussed but a unique design and from what I have heard very good imaging for classical and accoustic music. Would love to find a pair of Time Windows in good shape just to see what they are about.

dean_martin
03-19-2008, 02:28 PM
vintage thread revived!

Bill mentioned the Dynaco A-25. I've been considering the new Tekton speaker based on the A-25 for my old ss Sansui integrated or to try with my Jolida tube amp.

http://www.tektondesign.com/aurala-25.htm

worth a try? or, stay away?

hifitommy
03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
nope, not for me and i owned two pair. one in each corner for dynaquad or preferably stacked in front with other speakers for rears.

for a little mor than twice that amount, one could have the stirling LS3/5As. tekton should consider making them $300 a pair, then they would sell.

JohnMichael
03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Odd you mention those because I found a pair of very heavy speakers at a local thrift
that as I moved them to see what the brand might be it almost sounded like sand sliding but I just figured it was just the sound of the speaker moving against the carpet. These speakers had no markings on them other than the horn at the top said Speakerlab.

Could these be Wharfdales? There was absolutely no markings on the speakers but they were nice solid wood cabinets and I thought they were possible someone's DIY from a way back. The only other distinguishing feature was on the top of the speaker there was a gold colored inlay on each side.

Speakerlab in the late 70's sold a wide array of speaker kits and drivers. They could be a Speakerlab kit or a Wharfdale with a Speakerlab repalcemant driver. I do think if they were Wharfdale they would be labeled.

daviethek
03-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Pre-Teledyne AR 3 ways and larger KEFmodels seemed outstanding even with middle of the road carts and receivers. This was my opinion with or without a touch of the green leaf.

Retorterous
03-27-2008, 11:16 PM
My oldman has four Tannoy Monitor Golds - and wow do they sound great.

My mate just bought a pair of Rogers Studio 1 speakers and they sound beautiful...

What about the Kef 104aB speakers? They used to get quite a good wrap. I'm eyeing some on ebay at the moment, but nobody is bidding. Is there something i should know about these?

thekid
03-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Well I will update my own thread by adding my current fav brand

DCM-Time Windows
Older TF models such as the TF-350,400 and 500 series

sailorbob
11-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Interesting coincidence: I was browsing this post to find what old school speakers people were metioning and the first one I see mentioned are RTR speakers. Having owned a pair of these since the mid 70's, they continue to serve well, even having survived the many stereo wars valiantly fought in college. I have the xpr 12's and yes, they are 8 ohms. They were certainly not mainstream speaker as this is the first time I have heard or read of them since I bought mine. A few things they were noted for besides delivering an incredible bang for the buck were solid wood enclosures and nice hi, crisp tweeters. They even have an adjustable crossover and a "reset" button should they be wired out of phase or exposed to to an amp that was turned distorting. Great speakers..

thekid
11-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Holy thread revival..... This thread was started many speakers ago..... :D

Welcome to AR Sailorbob.

I still own the RTR's though I am going to put them on CL soon. I am glad you like RtR's, I have just been lucky to pick up some of the other sought after makes/models mentioned here so something has to go.

theebadone
11-13-2009, 02:03 AM
At the top of my wish list, a JBL metragon.

E-Stat
11-13-2009, 11:58 AM
At the top of my wish list, a JBL metragon.
The Metregon and the larger Paragon were designed on an interesting, but completely incorrect premise. It is quite amusing today to suggest that one cannot create dimensionality unless you use a single enclosure for a stereo pair. :)

You can't do what with stereo speakers? (http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1957-paragon/page4.jpg)

rw

JoeE SP9
11-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Number one on my list is a pair of Beveridge Model 1's, followed by an HQD (2 Hartley subs, Quad ESL57 2 pair, Decca (ribbon tweeters) system. If Infinity IRS V's are vintage I'll take a pair of those also.

poppachubby
11-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Number one on my list is a pair of Beveridge Model 1's, followed by an HQD (2 Hartley subs, Quad ESL57 2 pair, Decca (ribbon tweeters) system. If Infinity IRS V's are vintage I'll take a pair of those also.

Yikes! These speakers sound crazy Joe, just the names suggest a product dedicated to its purpose. How could something named Quad ESL57 not be good? I would like to buy them so I could say it all the time, my wife would go nuts. Got any links?

squidboyw
11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Some great speakers have been mentioned in these posts! The early DCM Time Windows were one of the speaker pairs I wish I had never sold. I currently own a pair of DCM TimeFrame 250s and would have to find some money if a pair of the originals Time Windows appeared locally (the guy who has my original pair will never let them go!)

The Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers can be wonderful if they have been recapped and are driven with an amp that can throw a lot of current. I was driving one of my two pair with a Pioneer SX-1010 (110 watts per Ch) and they sounded pretty good, but they really showed what they could do when they were powered by my big Krell amp.

I am somewhat surprised that no-one has mentioned some of the classic Altec horn boxes. They are not my cup of tea but do have many fans out there.

thekid
11-17-2009, 02:38 AM
It is kind of fun to look back through this thread and see some of the suggestions and what I have been able to pick up. Of those suggested I have the following;

Original Large Advents
Dynaco A25
KLH- 5's-17's and 33's
Whardale 60E's

Out of pocket cost for all these was around $75. The ability to experiment without breaking the bank is what I think is fun about collecting vintage stuff. Even though I have way more speakers than I need I still keep my eyes open for some of the models mentioned here by other members.

stokedonlife
02-21-2010, 01:26 PM
I recently got a pair of DCM Time windows and Technics SB-7070 both are different and incredible. I would have to spend thousands to approach what these 70's speakers can do. Absolutely amazing.

Wife-hates-my-hobby
02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Very nice speaks Stoked, the Windows. I owned a pair when they first came out. Silly me...Listened to wife and sold em long ago :(

JoeE SP9
02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Yikes! These speakers sound crazy Joe, just the names suggest a product dedicated to its purpose. How could something named Quad ESL57 not be good? I would like to buy them so I could say it all the time, my wife would go nuts. Got any links?

Here's a pair of naked stacked Quads. These are the ESL-57's. Some consider them the best speakers ever made.
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt231/JoeESP9/stackedQuads.jpg

thekid
02-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Here's a pair of naked stacked Quads. These are the ESL-57's. Some consider them the best speakers ever made.
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt231/JoeESP9/stackedQuads.jpg

JoeE

You have 2 pair of Quads?
I have heard from several sources i respect that they are/were the best speaker ever made.
You are a very very fortunate person..... Congrats!!

Charlie04SiR
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Hey Kid, Wow, this thread of your s goes back 3 years! lol! Well, now that I'm here, I will fill you in on my 2c worth of vintage top ten.

1. James Lansing Hartsfields
2. Kenwood Model Sevens
3. Kenwood LS-1900
4. Pioneer HPM-200
5. Kenwood LS-408B
6. Marantz HD880/88, HD770/77, DS-940, M-16, M-10 (all of these utilize the same type Drivers in various enclosures, except for the first generation HD's beefier Rola Type woofers)
7. Cerwin Vega 15-TR, AL-1000
8. JBL L-150A
9. JBL 250Ti
10. Marantz Imperial 8

thekid
03-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Hey Kid, Wow, this thread of your s goes back 3 years! lol! Well, now that I'm here, I will fill you in on my 2c worth of vintage top ten.

1. James Lansing Hartsfields
2. Kenwood Model Sevens
3. Kenwood LS-1900
4. Pioneer HPM-200
5. Kenwood LS-408B
6. Marantz HD880/88, HD770/77, DS-940, M-16, M-10 (all of these utilize the same type Drivers in various enclosures, except for the first generation HD's beefier Rola Type woofers)
7. Cerwin Vega 15-TR, AL-1000
8. JBL L-150A
9. JBL 250Ti
10. Marantz Imperial 8

C04

Well this thread does not die cause I keep picking up more vintage speakers..... :D

Thanks for contributing!

emaidel
03-20-2010, 04:05 AM
It is kind of fun to look back through this thread and see some of the suggestions and what I have been able to pick up. Of those suggested I have the following;

Original Large Advents
Dynaco A25
KLH- 5's-17's and 33's
Whardale 60E's

Out of pocket cost for all these was around $75. The ability to experiment without breaking the bank is what I think is fun about collecting vintage stuff. Even though I have way more speakers than I need I still keep my eyes open for some of the models mentioned here by other members.

I missed this original posting. I'm assuming the $75 "out of pocket cost" was what you paid for them. If that's so, you got great bargains on some, but not others.

Large Advent: approx. $140 each
Dynaco A-25: $79.95
KLH-17 : $79.95
KLH -5: $179.95
Wharfedale W-60's: about $140 each (in 1967)

(No idea about the KLH-33)

thekid
03-20-2010, 06:59 AM
I missed this original posting. I'm assuming the $75 "out of pocket cost" was what you paid for them. If that's so, you got great bargains on some, but not others.

Large Advent: approx. $140 each
Dynaco A-25: $79.95
KLH-17 : $79.95
KLH -5: $179.95
Wharfedale W-60's: about $140 each (in 1967)

(No idea about the KLH-33)

Yeah the $75 ball park was my out of pocket cost for all of these speakers.

Specifically it breaks down like this;

KLH 17's $10
KLH 33's $10
KLH 5's -Traded a Kenwood integrated receiver that only cost me $10
Wharfdale 60E's $9
Dynaco A-25's $22
Large Advents $25

I have posted pics of all of them at various times but all of them except the Wharfdales and the 33's are in near mint condition. I did have to replace the grills on the Dynaco's and the badges are missing off of the 17's.

armbahr
04-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Still have my TimeWindows from 1981. Superb!

Some great speakers have been mentioned in these posts! The early DCM Time Windows were one of the speaker pairs I wish I had never sold. I currently own a pair of DCM TimeFrame 250s and would have to find some money if a pair of the originals Time Windows appeared locally (the guy who has my original pair will never let them go!)

The Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers can be wonderful if they have been recapped and are driven with an amp that can throw a lot of current. I was driving one of my two pair with a Pioneer SX-1010 (110 watts per Ch) and they sounded pretty good, but they really showed what they could do when they were powered by my big Krell amp.

I am somewhat surprised that no-one has mentioned some of the classic Altec horn boxes. They are not my cup of tea but do have many fans out there.

thekid
04-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Still have my TimeWindows from 1981. Superb!

Welcome to AR!

I am the resident DCM fanatic here as I have managed to pick-up 6 pairs from various places over the last couple of years. (Time Window 1's, TF-600's-2, Time Pieces, CX-27's and CX-17's) A great sleeper speaker that flies under most people's radar. The Time Windows are one of my favorites and people who I audition them for are amazed by their sound.

What are you running the TW's with?

squeegy200
04-11-2010, 11:17 AM
No one has mentioned GNP Valkyries.

Bill Gross (Idealab: ie Knowledge Adventure, eToys, Overture) was one of the original creators but it was Brooks Berdan who really made them high-end and respectable. I used to listen to them for hours when I worked next door at GNP Computers.

Brooks won't comment but smiles whenever I've suggested they were the inspiration for the modern day Wilson MAXX speakers. I find it worth noting that the entire line of Wilson speakers looks suspiciously like the GNP line up of the 1980s & 90s--only bigger and with more exotic materials.

jeffl426
05-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a pair of these DCM Time Windows I am trying to sell but cannot find anything online for a reference price. Three people told me three totally conflicting prices. One said anywhere from $200 for fair to ok condition and as much as $900 for mint. Any ideas? They are in really good shape. A few spots on the back from my movers several years ago. Mechanically they are perfect.

thekid
05-11-2010, 02:48 AM
I have a pair of these DCM Time Windows I am trying to sell but cannot find anything online for a reference price. Three people told me three totally conflicting prices. One said anywhere from $200 for fair to ok condition and as much as $900 for mint. Any ideas? They are in really good shape. A few spots on the back from my movers several years ago. Mechanically they are perfect.

Those look like later Time Windows not sure of the model number but the range you mention is probably about right. You can check a site called Audiokarma for more info. There is a large DCM following there that can supply more info in the "Dollars and Sense" forum.

jeffl426
05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
These were actually purchased in 1982...

thekid
05-12-2010, 04:32 PM
These were actually purchased in 1982...

I will try to look around but those really don't look like the Time Window 1's or 3's that attract the most attention. Is there a model # on the back?