HDMI converter box to Component Video [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI converter box to Component Video

ciscokid1970
12-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Hello I own a Mitsubishi VS-60805.
It is HDTV ready up to 1080i.
It has component video inputs and some 15pin connector that is not VGA port.

So the question is...is there some kind of box that can convert HDMI to component video or Mitsiubishi digital input?

pixelthis
12-15-2007, 10:06 PM
I doubt it.
ONE IS DIGITAL, ANOTHER ANALOG.
Go to monoprice.com, if there is one they have it.
But if you source has componet I'd just use that.
You might want to check that other connector, it might be DVI.
If it is you can use a dvi to HDMI adapter cable
if you dont have a HDMI, or DVI them you dont have the capability to receive digital signals,
which means that you will be stuck with componet, or computer. If that 15 pin plug isnt a d-sub then its probably some other kind of RGB input, or maybe one of those unicontrol deals that mitshu loves so much.
I would go to mitshu's site and download a PDF if they have one, telling you a litle more about this set. Most likely its analog HD only, which aint that bad:1:

pixelthis
12-15-2007, 10:10 PM
If componet is all that you have your set will be obsolete in a few years, already DVD players are being made without componet outputs, this is studio pressure because this is an analog source, and easier to copy

markw
12-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Component video is good up to 1080i. You can still get an eye-popping picture from 1080i.
The only currrent format it cannot pass is 1080p, which is only available on Blu-ray and HD-DVD units*. If you do this route, maybe they won't have component outs and you may be forced to upgrade the TV.

* I'm not a gamer so maybe these as well. dunno.

pixelthis
12-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Component video is good up to 1080i. You can still get an eye-popping picture from 1080i.
The only currrent format it cannot pass is 1080p, which is only available on Blu-ray and HD-DVD units*. If you do this route, maybe they won't have component outs and you may be forced to upgrade the TV.

* I'm not a gamer so maybe these as well. dunno.
Minor detail, componet has plenty of bandwidth to pass 1080p, its just not done, could probably pass digital, again its just not done for various reasons:1:

markw
12-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Minor detail, componet has plenty of bandwidth to pass 1080p, its just not done, If it's not done, then it's not a "minor" detail. It'd say it's pretty major.

And, it's "component". not "componet". If you're going to act the authority, at least learn how to spell it. I could see once or twice, but you consistently mis-spell this.

pixelthis
12-18-2007, 12:37 AM
If it's not done, then it's not a "minor" detail. It'd say it's pretty major.

And, it's "component". not "componet". If you're going to act the authority, at least learn how to spell it. I could see once or twice, but you consistently mis-spell this.

A "component" is something like a piece of gear, not that it matters as long as people
understand you, I have seen it spelled this way quiter a bit.
And theres a lot of stuff that gear can do physically, its just "not done".
But the fact that its not done doesnt mean it cant be done.
Just pointing out that , whatever you call it, this connection is plenty for most apps.
Its three RCA plugs, should be able to handle anything.
So why do they need a "new" cable? For that matter why ditch DVI?
Just put autodetect in the system.
the main reason they dont use compo-whatever is copy protection, they want this connection GONE.
Which is a pisser for folks like me who have a receiver they paid good cash for that has switching for this "passe" connector.
As for being an "authority" I apologise if I tried to give that impression.
Kex knows more about speakers (probably) and a few are absolute whizzes in electronics.
My main "expertise" after fifty years of arrows in my back (what happens to pioneers)
is a working knowledge of how this arcane business works, whats BS and what just doesnt make sense to waste your money on.
I can tell you that a "special"powercord is a silly silly way to waste money, a way for the copper industry to push their stuff and keep copper miners at work.
Any slight change wont surrive a power supply, A lot of people pay thousands for a high
end piece of gear with five cent connectors on the back.
I guess you could say I am a veteran of the "white van" wars, and that there are a lot more "white vans" than the ones you see in the parking lot of a big box store.
Some are highly respectable and come highly reccomended, doesnt change the fact that what they are pushng is BS :1:

ciscokid1970
01-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Well my original hope was that there would be a way to use the non-standard digital input to my TV to accept a HDMI Digital signal. Aparently Mistsubishi never made one.

Second choice was to find a magical box that will take HDMI input and convert it to Component.

Yes I have heard that 1080i is possible via component video...but for whatever legal reasons...you can not find any DVD players or magical boxes to take advantage of it.

The REASON I want HDMI input is to I can but a HD DVD player and watch it on my TV.

My big screen has a beautiful picture so it will be a shame to get rid of it.

So it seems no one here knows of any DVD player where you can enable with 'secret menu' or asian market product to work around the restriction.

pixelthis
01-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Well my original hope was that there would be a way to use the non-standard digital input to my TV to accept a HDMI Digital signal. Aparently Mistsubishi never made one.

Second choice was to find a magical box that will take HDMI input and convert it to Component.

Yes I have heard that 1080i is possible via component video...but for whatever legal reasons...you can not find any DVD players or magical boxes to take advantage of it.

The REASON I want HDMI input is to I can but a HD DVD player and watch it on my TV.

My big screen has a beautiful picture so it will be a shame to get rid of it.

So it seems no one here knows of any DVD player where you can enable with 'secret menu' or asian market product to work around the restriction.

You're looking for a unicorn.
Once upon a time the industry didnt want digital signals, they wanted analog ,
like componet, which you have, thought digital would lead to high q copies.
Then they figured out copy protection is more feasible with a digital signal, and
picture q freaks would like the fact that a digital siginal would go straight to video
with minimal comversion, leading to a better picture.
So they started pushing DVI, them HDMI, which is DVI with sound.
So now they have a standard, HDMI, and your beautiful TV wont EVER be able
to accomodate it.
Sorry but its time to trade, put an ad in the paper, take whatever you can get NOW before the set becomes completely obsolete to the point that even a cheapskate wont give you any money.
And get a new set with HDMI, at least two, preferrably three.
But dont feel like the lone ranger, I have been through FIVE sets in the last two or three years.
But your set will never take a digital input without a dvi or hdmi plug, just like a prop plane will never break the sound barrier.
Sorry:1: