Mixing speaker wire [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mixing speaker wire

lawman
12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Hey all,

Just set up my HT. Here's what I'm running:

AVR: Yamaha HTR 5560
Main: Yamaha hand me downs (don't know the model no.)
Centers, Surrounds: Fluance SX-HTB+ (don't have the mains yet)

Here's my question - I ordered speaker wire from Fluance as well. They sent me some 12guage (not sure of the make). However, I didn't have enough, so I bought some Monster XP from Best Buy. Is it ok to mix speaker cable like that?

Thanks!

Lawman

JSE
12-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Hey all,

Just set up my HT. Here's what I'm running:

AVR: Yamaha HTR 5560
Main: Yamaha hand me downs (don't know the model no.)
Centers, Surrounds: Fluance SX-HTB+ (don't have the mains yet)

Here's my question - I ordered speaker wire from Fluance as well. They sent me some 12guage (not sure of the make). However, I didn't have enough, so I bought some Monster XP from Best Buy. Is it ok to mix speaker cable like that?

Thanks!

Lawman

No problemo!

I would probably make sure each run is either one brand wire of the other and not mix wire in a single run although I am not sure it would have any negative effect. I think Monster XP is 16ga compared to your 12ga Fluance. Depending on the length of runs, use the 12ga for the longer runs and the XP for the shorter (assuming it is 16ga.) I could be wrong on the Monster Ga. though.

lawman
12-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks JSE! That helps!

Have everything up and running. The sound is sweet! But can't seem to get much volume out of the surrounds when I'm watching DVDs. The sound is great for music and some channels on TV.

Any thoughts?

Mr Peabody
12-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Are you using a digital connection from DVD to receiver? If not, you should, you will not get 5.1 unless using a digital connection. Well, you could get 5.1 using multi-channel analog connections but let's not confuse the issue yet. If you are using 2 channel analog out (red/white) from the DVD the best you will get is Dolby Pro Logic 2 and depending on the movie you won't be getting much from the rear. If this isn't the problem, did you use your YPAO to set things up or at least use the test tone to adjust all speaker volumes even? Also, keep in mind that rear effects will vary from movie to movie. I like to test back to front motion with Star Wars newer movies, ships flying through or Pearl Harbor, when it is being bombed the planes passing over.

Using mixed wire won't harm anything electrically but you may hear a difference. If you mix at least keep same brand per set of speakers, like use Monster on both L/R mains or both L/R rears, don't use Monster on left, Fluance on right.

lawman
12-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Thanks again!

No, I'm not using a digital connection. One more trip to Best Buy! Hadn't realized the effect would be so pronounced, specially since music seemed to work fine.

I've been careful about the wiring, and like you've all suggested have used the 16ga on the L/R rears. I've currently used the Monster on the rear center speaker and the center channel. Will use Monster on the mains, when they get here.

I did try to balance the speakers using the test tone to set volume levels, but I'm still mucking about with the bass management settings (I assume that's what you mean by YPAO?)

Mr Peabody
12-15-2007, 06:26 AM
YPAO is a feature on some Yamaha receivers that is an auto speaker set up system. I'm not very familiar with it so I don't know how far it goes, like providing any room EQ. This requires a microphone. You may want to check your manual to see if you have it.

If you use the analog out, the digital to analog conversion is done by the DVD player and sent via the L/R outs, with this the most you get is 2 channel and then your receiver may convert it to PL2. If your DVD player sends the signal out via the digital out, it remains digital and gets converted from digital to analog by the receiver and then you will hear Dolby Digital or DTS 5/6/7.1 depending on the movies treatment of audio soundtrack. You will hear a vast difference. You might want to check your DVD player to see if it provides optical (Toslink), coaxial or both digital outs to be sure you get the right cable the first time. I'm sure your receiver should accept either. If you have a coaxial out, that's the one I recommend. I don't think you will hear a difference but I've had problems in the past with optical cables and now I have an optical input that went bad. What's strange about the optical is in my case they didn't go completely out, they just caused weird sound or other sound issues and it required some troubleshooting to pinpoint the problem.

lawman
12-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Mr Peabody,

Thanks for the advice! Went to Best Buy and got myself some good cable today. Here's what I've done:

DVD to AVR: Monster Coaxial, Component Video (no HDMI)
DVR to AVR: Monster Digital Optical (no Coax out), HDMI video

Also picked up some DVI - HDMI for my MacBook Pro, and waiting on a mini-Toslink-Toslink cable to be delivered so I can start pumping out some 5.1 surround sound from my laptop.

Thanks so much for the advice! The difference is like night and day. The cable was expensive, but well worth it. The sound from the surrounds is still a bit low, but that's probably settings. Will muck about with the AVR to see what I can do.

Thanks again!

Now to enjoy the Fellowship of the Ring....

Mr Peabody
12-15-2007, 07:06 PM
You are welcome. Glad things worked out.