Music to make you feel old... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music to make you feel old...

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I was just playing Crowded House's Better Be Home Soon for someone at work who’s 30ish and she had never heard it before. So I looked it up on AMG to see how old it was and the CD was released in 1988. Her comment was, “oh no wonder, I was just a kid”. Holy crap! That song is 20 years old. I remember when it was released like it was only a couple of years ago. Suddenly I’m feeling very old! :nonod:

I must say, however, that the album Temple of Low Men has held up very well over time.

markw
12-14-2007, 11:12 AM
I remember dancing to Chubby Checker's "The Twist" when it just came out at my cousin's wedding. That was 1960-61 or so and I was around 11 years old.

FWIW, I still have that album. It's a bit worn, but I still have it.

But, whenever I hear the Beatles I remember being in and just out of High school and then I remember that's forty years ago, well...

GMichael
12-14-2007, 11:39 AM
When I heard the new version of "Dream On" on the soft hits channel, I started to sing along. My wife asked me how I knew this new song. New? I told her how it was done by Aerosmith years ago. She turned her head and asked, "You mean that old guy with the funny lips?"

Mr MidFi
12-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I was discussing the solo career of Peter Gabriel the other day, contrasting his earlier work with his recent stuff...when it occurred to me that I was including the So album in the "recent" category. Because, in my mind, it is. Recent.

Hate to say it folks, but that was 1985. Half a lifetime ago for me.

NP: Rolling Stones, "Let It Bleed"

kexodusc
12-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I was just playing Crowded House's Better Be Home Soon for someone at work who’s 30ish and she had never heard it before. So I looked it up on AMG to see how old it was and the CD was released in 1988. Her comment was, “oh no wonder, I was just a kid”. Holy crap! That song is 20 years old. I remember when it was released like it was only a couple of years ago. Suddenly I’m feeling very old! :nonod:

I must say, however, that the album Temple of Low Men has held up very well over time.
1988...that was a great year! I got my first Walkman, and 3 tapes..."Appetite for Destruction", Poison's "Open Up and Say...Ahhh", and DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - "He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper".

Next year was even bigger though - got my first armpit hair and was pretty wrapped up in that.

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Next year was even bigger though - got my first armpit hair and was pretty wrapped up in that.

Your first armpit hair was long enough to wrap you? :sosp:

BarryL
12-14-2007, 01:34 PM
It's been about 33 years since Supertramp's Crime of the Century.

It hurts when you have to listen to the oldies station to hear the songs you grew up with. More enlightened radio stations use the term "classic rock." Touche for marketing to make a person feel good!

GMichael
12-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Your first armpit hair was long enough to wrap you? :sosp:

Yours aren't?

Oops. Did I type that out loud?

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Yours aren't?

Well, yeah, of course. How else do you think we stay warm through these cold Canadian winters. But not the first one. It took me years to grow them out that long.

Mr Peabody
12-15-2007, 06:54 AM
The first Van Halen album is nearly 30 years old! Grunge is approaching 20!

It's funny bands like Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Beastie Boys are still played on "Alternative" stations when both were established in the 80's.

What really makes me feel old is when you hear artists you listened to in school now turning 60+. If that don't do it, remembering the year you graduated will.