Out of my element Christmas shopping [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Out of my element Christmas shopping

tygma
12-14-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm trying to help my father buy a gift for my mother. My mother has it in her head that she would like a new stereo for the house. She saw an ad for Bose and thinks that little component is the way to go.
Unfortunately, it's $750 and seems like a rip off to me. Maybe Bose does have amazing quality, but it seems to me it's like buying a Jag (it used to be great but now it's owned by Ford and it's no longer as good.) You're simply paying for a name.
I'm thinking the old clunker stereo currently in the house can be replaced. Maybe the old speakers can be used, maybe they can be affordable replaced as well.
They don't need anything fancy, but I don't know the first thing about stereo brands or places to buy them. Is Tweeter a good place? Can good sound be found at a place like Best Buy or Sears? Would a small Bose cd player have sound to fill the first floor (5 rooms) of a medium sized house?
Any help would be appreciated.
If this is not the place to post this, I apologize profusely.

-Tygma

markw
12-14-2007, 10:39 AM
No offense, but how old is she and how well does she handle new tech? The reason i ask is that my mom couldn't adaptto anything new. She was in her 80's and had Alzheimers and could onlty deal with TV's with the click/turn tuners and couldn't even operate a simple Phonemate answering machine (but she still wanred it!).

That said, Tivoli makes good sounding and simple to operate radios and Cd players.

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/home.php The radios would be the simplist.

If she's fairly adept with this stuff, Cambridge Sound Works offers products similar to Bose but at a better price point.http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=0&akhg1999=WGOSSWSKA5 FWIW, I've had one of their stereo radios since '99 and still love it.

I don't know if anything will "fill five rooms with sound" but these do a pretty decent job for one or two rooms for ther size.

Of course, if she's comfortable with the new tech, there's a world of choices out there that might come closel.

basite
12-14-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm trying to help my father buy a gift for my mother. My mother has it in her head that she would like a new stereo for the house. She saw an ad for Bose and thinks that little component is the way to go.
Unfortunately, it's $750 and seems like a rip off to me. Maybe Bose does have amazing quality, but it seems to me it's like buying a Jag (it used to be great but now it's owned by Ford and it's no longer as good.) You're simply paying for a name.
I'm thinking the old clunker stereo currently in the house can be replaced. Maybe the old speakers can be used, maybe they can be affordable replaced as well.
They don't need anything fancy, but I don't know the first thing about stereo brands or places to buy them. Is Tweeter a good place? Can good sound be found at a place like Best Buy or Sears? Would a small Bose cd player have sound to fill the first floor (5 rooms) of a medium sized house?
Any help would be appreciated.
If this is not the place to post this, I apologize profusely.

-Tygma

welcome to the forums,

could you define: old clunker stereo

and don't buy bose, it's crap, and it's overpriced.

and no, a small radio won't fill 5 rooms with sound, you're gonna need a big amp and seperate speakers to do that IMO...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

tygma
12-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I appreciate the confirmation of NO BOSE. That's what I was telling my Dad. I told him I'd talk to some people who know stuff about audio and get back to him.

The old clunker they had is in fact a bookshelf system (Sony from the 80's with tuner, cassette, and record player). It was based in a family room and then wired to two large (about 3 feet tall) speakers in a living room that sat on the floor in the corners. The sound filled a first floor with no problem coming from them.

They want to upgrade to the almighty CD player. (well that, and the Sony became possessed several years back and has been unworkable ever since.)

Would they really need an amp when all they listen to is really classical and teaching programs?

p.s. - though both are over the age of 60, they have adapted well to technology thanks in part to having teens and 20 somethings around the house.

basite
12-14-2007, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't recommend a small radio (like the tivoli or the cambridge soundworks), with a bit of creativity and such you could get a decent stereo system for under 1k (I know, it's even more than the bose radio, but it'll be way better, and more capable of filling a room or two...

if that's not an option, and you really want them to get a small table radio, I'd recommend the Tivoli (a model 2 is already pretty good), because it sounds pretty good for it's price, but remember this was designed as a table radio.

btw, classical is probably the most power & quality demanding genre

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JSE
12-14-2007, 11:41 AM
A little more expensive but well worth the extra money. Maybe you and a sibling(s) could split the cost?

MusicHall Trio - CD player, AM/FM receiver and AMP all in one small package and it's gotten pretty good reviews. Simple to use and a clean design.

This is a demo from Audio Advisor for $849.00

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1MHTRIO

You can get new in box for $1k

Then, add these very good performing Athena Bookshelf speakers.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASB1%2E2

They are a great price and get great reviews. I have heard them personally and they perform extremely well for a speaker in it's class. At $100, they are a steal!

Then, add about $5 for some speaker wire. That's all you will need.

This simple system will blow away the BOSE, Cambridge Audio and Tivolli desk systems.

JSE

topspeed
12-14-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm trying to help my father buy a gift for my mother. My mother has it in her head that she would like a new stereo for the house. She saw an ad for Bose and thinks that little component is the way to go. As others have mentioned, there isn't a all-in-one component that will fill an entire house with music. I like Mark's recommendation of Cambridge Soundworks as they make a number of excellent bang-for-your-buck products from separate speakers and amps to table radios. I've had one of their table radios for years now and it is far better sounding (IMO) while considerably less expensive than any Bose Waveradio.

I'm thinking the old clunker stereo currently in the house can be replaced. Maybe the old speakers can be used, maybe they can be affordable replaced as well. You might be right. It depends on how what's important to you and your family. Audio prices can get downright scary quickly if you're not careful. If you thought the Bose was expensive, google Nordost Valhalla speaker wire and have a crash cart charged and ready. That said, there are a number of good, inexpensive manufacturers out there such as Cambridge, Athena, Infinity, or Polk, the last three you can find at BB or CC.

They don't need anything fancy, but I don't know the first thing about stereo brands or places to buy them. Is Tweeter a good place? Can good sound be found at a place like Best Buy or Sears? Would a small Bose cd player have sound to fill the first floor (5 rooms) of a medium sized house? Tweeter sells higher-end equipment than BB, CC, or Sears. Be prepared to pay more, not because they overprice the gear, the gear is simply more expensive. If BB is Toyota, Tweeter is Lexus.

No stereo system, Bose or otherwise, will fill an entire floor with quality sound. Oh sure, you might hear the bass in some of the rooms, but that's about it. Too many barriers. You need speakers for each room if that's what you want to achieve. Maybe in-wall or in-ceiling would be the way to go?

Maybe Bose does have amazing quality, but it seems to me it's like buying a Jag (it used to be great but now it's owned by Ford and it's no longer as good.) You're simply paying for a name. Sorry, I just couldn't let this go.

Jag's, while beautiful and usually dynamically adept, had legendary problems with their quality control. It wasn't until Ford purchased the brand and they shut down Brown's Lane that Jag started building reliable cars. In fact, it was Ford's stewardship that pushed Jag all the way up to #3 in the J.D. Power IQS, far above BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. If Ford had not modernized the factory and purchasing systems for Jaguar, there wouldn't be a Jaguar! No XJ. No S-Type R. No XK. And most certainly not the stunning XF.
http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/08/medium_1250168515_e5fa21ce4e_o.jpg

The AJV8 is Jag design, through and through. It's so good it's used by Land Rover in the Range Rover and LR2. The aluminum chassis of the XJ and XK are proprietory to Jag. That's saying something in an age of platform sharing. Is switch gear supplied by the same suppliers to Ford? You betcha. Does it diminish the value of the car? Only if you're tearfully nostalgic for the days of Lucas Electronics when something as simple as starting a Jag was a roll of the dice.

I'm sorry for the rant. As a Jag owner (E-Type, XJ8, Vanden Plas) as well as a Ford guy, it chaps my hide when I see misconceptions spread about. If it's any consolation, Jag and Land Rover are no longer owned by Ford. Watch the news, an announcement is forthcoming.

tygma
12-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm sorry for the rant. As a Jag owner (E-Type, XJ8, Vanden Plas) as well as a Ford guy, it chaps my hide when I see misconceptions spread about. If it's any consolation, Jag and Land Rover are no longer owned by Ford. Watch the news, an announcement is forthcoming.

I'm an Audi girl myself, so I won't hold it against you. :ihih:
And I happily stand corrected in my incorrect analogy. I simply remembered in my youth that the rich had Jags and the "normies" had Fords.

As far as audio is concerned, I also got a recommendation to buy stuff from J&R. Should I look for Cambridge soundworks or Onkyo or any of the other recommendations there?

topspeed
12-14-2007, 12:45 PM
What's your budget? CSW and Onkyo are both good, but the same can be said for Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, and a host of others.

BTW, Audi's are nice cars. I took a long, hard look at the S5 at the LA Show. A new toy is on the horizon and while I'm not fond of awd cars (too hard to rotate the rear), I've heard the S5 drives like a rear wheel driver. We'll see...

tygma
12-14-2007, 01:08 PM
If Dad was willing to shell out $750 for a Bose table radio, I'd imagine it's right around there. Quite probably upwards of $1k.

Stupid question: what's really the difference between table radio and boombox? Output strength? You still have to move it from location to location to hear it, right?

(car talk: I'm considering a used S4 myself. My poor A4 was lost recently in a battle of road rage with a tree who cut me off. The S4 needs a lot of work, but it's the only way I could afford one in my price range.)

johnny p
12-14-2007, 03:29 PM
S4's are nice......

Tabletop/Boombox, same thing, one is more coloquial for the older generation (gotta love marketing) if someone advertised something as a "Ghetto Blaster" now, it'd certainly cut down on the perspective market!!!

I'd get the "all in one" Music Hall Trio that was mentioned above, and keep the current speakers until they feel the need to upgrade.

Mark of Cenla
12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
JVC make some nice "executive" sytems. You can get consumer reviews about them on Amazon.com. Here is a link to JVC: http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathid=11. Click on Home Audio, then on Shelf Systems, Executive. These are simple but better sounding than Bose. Good luck.

melvin walker
12-20-2007, 12:47 PM
JVC make some nice "executive" sytems. You can get consumer reviews about them on Amazon.com. Here is a link to JVC: http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathid=11. Click on Home Audio, then on Shelf Systems, Executive. These are simple but better sounding than Bose. Good luck.

The Bose cd system I think would work out great for your mother . The sound is reflective and can be heard through out the house. Bose has been around for a while and has appeal to those that just want to listen. Overpriced ? could be . The Bose sound will fill 8 rooms are more. Good luck.

Jaguar was a great British car company , old world charm. Times have changed Ford helped do a better job of development than British Layland was able to do. In the old days drivers was willing to put up with cranky cars , not so today. Are there better cars ? yes , the Japanese builds better cars , but with far less character. With Jaguar there is the empire, the Queen , Moss, and Hawthorn , if you get my point.

Slippers On
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Tygma,

Sorry can't help with your music dilema as I'm not familiar with your local manufacturers or stores.

However, I can tell you guys that Jaguar is now sold to India :shocked: :shocked:

Yes indeed. I think its time to offload if you have one, and hold out if you want a cheap one.

Slippers On

blackraven
12-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Just get a simple 2ch stereo receiver like the sherwood or onkyo which is onsale at audiphileliquidators for $159. I've seen the sherwood advertised for as low as $79. Then get a simple CD player and a pair of decent book shelf speakers like the infinity primus 162's or Polk's. The infinity's got great review from stereophile magazine. I bought last years model the 160's for my daufgher and they have very good sound for what they are. Figure about $300 for speakers, 100-200 for the CDP and $150 for the receiver= $550-700 If your really concerned about sound you could get the marantz 5001 CD player for about $250-300. This system would give good sound and be simple to use for your parents, assuming that your parents are not audiophiles.

www.crutchfield.com has the infinity's onsale for $99 each, which is a bargain at that price.

By the way, the Audi S4 biturbo is a sweet car. Much better IMO compared to the new 8 cylinder S4. A few of my friends have the S4's. Parts are very expensive however.

pixelthis
12-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Just get a simple 2ch stereo receiver like the sherwood or onkyo which is onsale at audiphileliquidators for $159. I've seen the sherwood advertised for as low as $79. Then get a simple CD player and a pair of decent book shelf speakers like the infinity primus 162's or Polk's. The infinity's got great review from stereophile magazine. I bought last years model the 160's for my daufgher and they have very good sound for what they are. Figure about $300 for speakers, 100-200 for the CDP and $150 for the receiver= $550-700 If your really concerned about sound you could get the marantz 5001 CD player for about $250-300. This system would give good sound and be simple to use for your parents, assuming that your parents are not audiophiles.

www.crutchfield.com has the infinity's onsale for $99 each, which is a bargain at that price.

By the way, the Audi S4 biturbo is a sweet car. Much better IMO compared to the new 8 cylinder S4. A few of my friends have the S4's. Parts are very expensive however.

Listen to the man, SHERWOOD AS WELL AS HARMON HAVE some decent 2 channel gear.
The problem with asking audio nuts for advice is they forget who they're buying for,
and start quoting prices a lot higher than you need.
Now I hate Bose, true, but their little radio (499) does sound quite good, with a place to plug in other stuff. Its small, not too intimidating, and does deliver what it promises.
And it does have a 30 day return policy.
And I hate to say it but while in a local shop , listening to one was quite nice.
Havent listened to the bigger one tho.
Its not for audiophiles but you're not buying for audiophiles.
And the most important thing, it IS what she wants:1:

johnny p
12-21-2007, 05:10 AM
There's a little All-In-One Marantz I found on Audiophileliquidator for $250 or so.... anyone know of anyone who has this thing? I'll grab a link................

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/product_info.php?products_id=2746