Blown Speaker Repair???????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blown Speaker Repair????????

thekid
12-14-2007, 03:18 AM
I have a pair of Sony 350's and one of them is blown. The rest of the speaker is fine. These were cheap speakers in the first place but I thought instead of tossing them it might be fun to try and use the cabinets etc to rebuild them and produce something better. I went to Parts Express but don't have a clue where to begin. Any suggestions?????

hydroman
01-07-2008, 12:34 PM
You of course swapped left/right speakers to ensure it is indeed the speaker, yes?

Well... generally the failure is the woofer (plays, but bass is distorted).

If a tweeter goes - it has usually stopped playing (dead).

If it is the woofer - measure the diameter of the speaker - buy two of that size based on what the budget can afford. Use Dayton drivers... ...and swap them.

Bad tweeter or mid - is much harder to just 'swap'. And since this will be a major difference in the sound - i would just go buy new speakers...

Do you need more info?

thekid
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
You of course swapped left/right speakers to ensure it is indeed the speaker, yes?

Well... generally the failure is the woofer (plays, but bass is distorted).

If a tweeter goes - it has usually stopped playing (dead).

If it is the woofer - measure the diameter of the speaker - buy two of that size based on what the budget can afford. Use Dayton drivers... ...and swap them.

Bad tweeter or mid - is much harder to just 'swap'. And since this will be a major difference in the sound - i would just go buy new speakers...

Do you need more info?

Hydro-Thanks I posted this a couple of weeks ago and it was dying of lonliness...... :sleep:

I did swap them and confirmed it is the speaker.
I do not hear any bass at all. All I hear when the speaker is hooked up and play music faint sound and only in the high-mid range. Sort of sounds like the speaker for a bad clock radio.

The original cost of the speakes was only like $75 but the cabinets seem decent so I just it would make for an interesting DIY project since I hear so many people talk about reconditioning some of their speakers.

Based on what I just described where do you think the best place for me to start?

Mark of Cenla
02-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Parts Express has a program in their site for one to figure out the internal volume of the speaker cabinet. Try to figure out the volume of your speaker boxes. Then pick a suitable woofer. See how that works. The mids and tweeters are more of a problem because of the crossover that came with the original setup. It may be better to remove everything and buy new crossovsers, mids and tweeters.

I am very much into one-way speakers at the moment. You can check them out too.

Try here: http://www.madisound.com/index.html Click on Fostex. Good luck.

hydroman
02-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Only in the mid-range? Could be the crossover has failed. Could you swap the drivers (from the good unit) and see if that is all it is?

If it is indeed the drivers.
You could keep the crossovers if you stay as similar to the originals as possible i.e stay with soft dome tweeters and same sized drivers. If you upgrade/custom the set up - the crossover would need to be changed as well.