Enjoy your whole collection over again [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy your whole collection over again

Hyfi
12-13-2007, 12:10 PM
I know this is not the gear forum and most people listen to MP3s more than anything else so this could be a wasted thread.

I just recently retired my old Marantz SE63 Cd Player and Audio Alchemy DDE1.1 DAC as the Marantz was showing too many symptoms of Old Timers since it has been spinning disks for about 10 years.

I replaced the Marantz with the Rotel 1072 single disk player. This CD Player is awesome to say the least. Nice quiet background from which instruments are separated and detailed. Bass is handled way better than I could have imagined. In my system, no instrument is too forward or overpowering. Instruments have taken on a new clear sound and the best description would be Analog like sound as compared to most mass market players.

I have been playing through my whole collection and re-enjoying some disks that I have not listened to for a long time.

So, if anyone is looking for a good CD Player, I can highly recommend the Rotel1072.

Associated equipment include:
Sound Valves Tube Pre
Oddysey Stratos Modded Amp
Harman Kardon AVR635 HT Reciver
Dynaudio Audience 82s
Dynaudio Audience 42s and center
Mirage Sub

ForeverAutumn
12-13-2007, 12:30 PM
I Googled Rotel1072 for more info and guess what the first site to come up was? That's right kiddies, our very own Audio Review.com.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/digital-sources/cd-players/rotel/PRD_298750_1586crx.aspx

GMichael
12-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Nice equipment sure makes a difference.

Jim Clark
12-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I dunno. The population at large listens to MP3s and I'm sure a lot of folks here listen to MP3s but as a group I suspect we listen to far fewer MP3s than most. There's a lot really top notch gear represented on this board. Most just don't feel the need to highlight (brag) about their stuff in their signatures like some of the other members here on the different forums. I like it when a gear thread pops up on this forum. I value and trust the opinions of a lot of folks here and it's nice to learn about something that works for them.

Over the years it's become obvious that Rotel makes some really decent products at a price level that's at least more affordable compared to a number of other companies. I have Rotel phono preamp in my main system that I like quite a bit. Of course I don't have a ton of other phono preamps to compare it to : ) I'm not surprised at all to learn that they make a great CDP.

There's a pic of one on Audiogon and it's a nice looking piece of kit too. (stole that kit thing from Mike in the UK)

Glad you found a piece that's so much fun to listen to. I love it when that happens.

jc

Hyfi
12-13-2007, 04:53 PM
I Googled Rotel1072 for more info and guess what the first site to come up was? That's right kiddies, our very own Audio Review.com.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/digital-sources/cd-players/rotel/PRD_298750_1586crx.aspx

When I was googling for reviews, I found one by our old friend DarrenH who has had one for a few years. We spoke a bit and he's doing well.

Mike
12-14-2007, 04:38 AM
it's great when you get some new gear you start to rediscover hidden gems, when I got hold of some new kit recently I didn't buy any new sounds for ages.

Rotel have been making excellent equipment ever since I can remember being interested in HiFi. In the UK they have had an avid following for years, they even used to promote some models supposedly tuned to UK ears, whatever that means.

MP3's have their place if I'm at home it's always the main system but if I'm out and about it's the ipod and I enjoy both just as much. I think a lot of the early bad press on MP3's comes from bad 128k or lower recordings, but I record at 192k or higher and I've no complaints.

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2007, 05:31 AM
When I was googling for reviews, I found one by our old friend DarrenH who has had one for a few years. We spoke a bit and he's doing well.

Thanks for the update on Darren. Whenever I listen to one of his great recommendations (and there are a lot of them) I think of him and wonder how he is. His input is missed around here...at least by me.

Slosh
12-14-2007, 06:19 AM
The best way to rediscover your music is to buy a media streamer (Squeezebox, SoundBridge, Sonos, etc.), rip in a lossless format, and connect it to a good DAC. Having instant access to thousands upon thousands of songs with bit-perfect fidelity will change your listening habits forever. Often I just shuffle by genre or year and get all caught up in something I never gave a fair chance to or stuff I've completely forgotten about. It's awesome.

For example, here's something I haven't listened to in forever and am enjoying immensely thanks to the shuffle god :)

NP:

Mr MidFi
12-14-2007, 06:55 AM
The Shuffle function has changed the way I listen to music...at least at work and on the road (I tend to still play CDs on my main system at home).

I end up listening to songs & albums I would never have selected for myself, and they come back to me like old friends. Sometimes it can be a deeply satisfying experience.

Let's face it: we've all invested thousands of dollars in our music collections, and it's tough to get your money's worth out of all those older titles unless someone or something digs them up for you every now and then.

NP: The Church, "Invisible"

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2007, 07:53 AM
I agree with the Shuffle sentiments. Although I still enjoy sitting down and listening to an album, I find myself enjoying songs on shuffle where the full CD is a bit much for me.

A good example of that is Coheed and Cambria. I find the CDs get tiresome about halfway through so I never put them on anymore. But when I hear a song come up on shuffle mode, I find myself checking to see who it is because it's so good.

kexodusc
12-14-2007, 08:18 AM
A good example of that is Coheed and Cambria. I find the CDs get tiresome about halfway through so I never put them on anymore. But when I hear a song come up on shuffle mode, I find myself checking to see who it is because it's so good.
Great example! These guys write some killer tunes - probably my favorite find of the last 2 years. But they've got some boring filler in their albums too that makes it difficult to spend an hour with them. And the whole inter-galactic space war/killing your children concept is a bit hard to follow. (But ya can't quit halfway through cause the last few songs are usually the best.) Cool comics though.

Gotta admit, I've been following the same path as Slosh when it comes to playback lately - using FLAC files and shuffle/playlist options is a great way to listen to music. Some music needs to be heard in the context of an album. Most probably doesn't, and often benefits from the separation.

Rob B in CT
12-14-2007, 10:07 AM
I agree with your recommendation about the Rotel 1072, HyFi. I bought mine 2+ years ago and like it a lot. When I picked it up, I A/B'd it against a Cambridge Audio 640, and I preferred the Rotel on virtually every track comparison. A year ago, I replaced my Cambridge Audio integrated amp with the Jolida 1501 RC hybrid integrated amp. The combination of the Jolida and Rotel components was by far the biggest leap in quality sound I've experienced in 30+ years of mid-fi listening. 15 months later, I'm still re-discovering stuff in my collection.

nobody
12-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I always get that urge to play everything over again when I get a new needle. And, then if I really like it, I get the urge to start reburning vinyl I've already burned, but I try to restrain myself there as much as possible.

I'm not a total gear head about stereos, but I do find a big difference between listening on crap and listening on something that at least sounds decent. MP3s just don't get me too excited.

Hyfi
12-14-2007, 03:43 PM
I agree with your recommendation about the Rotel 1072, HyFi. I bought mine 2+ years ago and like it a lot. When I picked it up, I A/B'd it against a Cambridge Audio 640, and I preferred the Rotel on virtually every track comparison. A year ago, I replaced my Cambridge Audio integrated amp with the Jolida 1501 RC hybrid integrated amp. The combination of the Jolida and Rotel components was by far the biggest leap in quality sound I've experienced in 30+ years of mid-fi listening. 15 months later, I'm still re-discovering stuff in my collection.

Rob,

Cool to hear more folks chime in about Rotel. I have friends who have their Integrated reciever in two whole home setups.

Jolida has also made some affordable tube equipment for several years. I'm wondering if your new experience is solely the Jolida or the tube-pre and ss-amp combo. I found that to be a big jump in sound in many setups including my own.

What are your speakers?

Hyfi
12-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I dunno. The population at large listens to MP3s and I'm sure a lot of folks here listen to MP3s but as a group I suspect we listen to far fewer MP3s than most.
jc

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-MP3. I have about 200GB of them including half of my own collection that a friend ripped. I rarely listen to them but occasionally look for something I don't have on CD. I don't own a portable MP3 player but then again, I was the last person to buy a DVD player and still refuse to get cable.

I usually just crank up the Danes and can hear the music throughout the whole house....and halfway down the block. At work, I use my Pandora stations, which can be configured excellently.

Hyfi

Hyfi
12-14-2007, 03:54 PM
The best way to rediscover your music is to buy a media streamer (Squeezebox, SoundBridge, Sonos, etc.), rip in a lossless format, and connect it to a good DAC. Having instant access to thousands upon thousands of songs with bit-perfect fidelity will change your listening habits forever. Often I just shuffle by genre or year and get all caught up in something I never gave a fair chance to or stuff I've completely forgotten about. It's awesome.

For example, here's something I haven't listened to in forever and am enjoying immensely thanks to the shuffle god :)

NP:

Isn't that why we invented Comps. I still play most of the ones I received. I also shuffle almost every CD I play unless it's DSOTM which does not work any other way.

The last disk I spun was the very first comp I got, Progressive Pastiche (from Troy). It sure sounded great via the Rotel.

Slosh
12-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Isn't that why we invented Comps.Hate to break the news to ya but I was making mix tapes long before the internet (or CD even, come to think of it) even existed :)
I still play most of the ones I received. I also shuffle almost every CD I play unless it's DSOTM which does not work any other way.

The last disk I spun was the very first comp I got, Progressive Pastiche (from Troy). It sure sounded great via the Rotel.Don't get me wrong, I still like making comps but for daily listening my PC is the ultimate music server. Currently I have about 6000 songs on it; all in lossless, no filler tracks either, with room on the hard drive for at least twice as many more, plus I could always add additional hard drives as necessary. Plus since I'm streaming over my wi-fi network there are no noisy computer fans to spoil the music since the PC is located several rooms away.

Lots of my friends have also bought Squeezeboxes or SoundBridges after seeing my set up in action. I guess it's the kind of thing you have to actually experience to see the light. :D

NP:

Jim Clark
12-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I guess it's the kind of thing you have to actually experience to see the light. :D

I'm still not sold and I doubt a first hand view would do much to change my mind. 6,000 songs? I've got more than that in the box under my bed. I quit counting a long time ago but I'd guess a lot of us, if not most of us (including you!) have 6,000 cds. Definitely when you count albums, tapes and burned cds. What about all the other music that's lost? I guess I'm in the ever decreasing minority since I still prefer to listen to the album in it's entirety.

I am also not a big fan of shuffle for the same reason I don't listen to the radio. I will admit that no commercials gives the random shuffle an inherent advantage but that's about it for me.

Oh yeah, this is a Rotel CDP thread. sorry

jc

Davey
12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Plus since I'm streaming over my wi-fi network there are no noisy computer fans to spoil the music since the PC is located several rooms away.

What is your interface to the network for controlling the streaming to the soundbridge? Some kind of touch screen or remote or something? I think for software you mentioned using the Firefly server.

Slosh
12-15-2007, 05:49 AM
What is your interface to the network for controlling the streaming to the soundbridge? Some kind of touch screen or remote or something? I think for software you mentioned using the Firefly server.Yeah, it has a remote. With Firefly browsing is literally as fast as you can press the buttons. Slimserver and Windows Media Connect are much, much slower. iTunes is pretty quick too but needs to be launched at the PC to work as a server whereas Firefly (and WMC) always runs in the background and uses so little system resources you don't even notice it running.

Jim, those 6000 songs represent 1/10th (if that) of my collection. That's just my current regular rotation stuff. I see no point in ripping hundreds of CDs that I only want to hear once in a blue moon. I'll just grab the CD or LP the next time I get the urge to listen to some Ramones :p Oh, and I still often listen to albums in their entirety. It's just that some albums beget others. Now instead of digging through my CD or LP racks I simply cue up the album or song I want to hear next, and poof, when the current album ends the next begins. It's like magic I think :rolleyes:

FWIW, since this is a gear thread I'll mention I'm listening to my SoundBridges through the latest TOTL Burr Brown DACs in my livingroom system and ancient but still very good sounding Sony Current Pulse DACs in my bedroom. Gotta sorta stay on topic :)

NP:

Swish
12-17-2007, 04:33 AM
Rob,

Cool to hear more folks chime in about Rotel. I have friends who have their Integrated reciever in two whole home setups.

Jolida has also made some affordable tube equipment for several years. I'm wondering if your new experience is solely the Jolida or the tube-pre and ss-amp combo. I found that to be a big jump in sound in many setups including my own.

What are your speakers?

...old Lexicon became obsolete. Since I had a 7.1 system, I needed a processor like the Rotel that could handle all the cd/dvd formats that were available along with the conversion of 5.1 to a 7.1 set up, and this baby does it very well. While it was pretty expensive, I found a dealer demo that included a full factory warranty and it was about 30% less than the regular price, and you can't find these discounted anywhere, at least I couldn't.

I remember posting about it and asking for advice about what to buy next, and I'm pretty sure it was Jim Clark who sent me the info on the Rotel. I also got a nice pile of $ on the old Lexicon when I sold it on e-bay.

If you want to see specifics on my Rotel, check it out <a href="http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/rotel-rsp-1098-ssp-1-2004-part-1.html">here</a>

Swish

Rob B in CT
12-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Hyfi: I agree that the Jolida's hybrid combination of tubes in the pre-amp and ss in the amp are largely responsible for the added realism in my system. It's the first component I've purchased with tubes, and its 100 watts are also a step up from the 55-70 watts I've had in past systems. I'm using vintage a/d/s L620 floorstanding speakers. They may be 25-years-old or so, but I've yet to hear an affordable speaker that I prefer to them.