So Rae ... what do you think is the best slice of LWIII? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So Rae ... what do you think is the best slice of LWIII?

Davey
12-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Really been enjoying the second installment of your Loudon Wainwright III collection. I have some of the early ones on the last collection, and some of the later ones on this one, but really nothing in-between, and surprisingly little overall, so this is fun. Still thinking that History may have been his finest time, combining the rawness and humor from the early days, with more maturity and nicer production, but lots to like throughout. Thanks, this is a pretty special collection. Haven't heard anything that might be on the ambitiously planned disc 3, except maybe the LWIII version of the song Joe Henry does so well on my Holiday Mixer.

<hr size=3 width="100%" align=center>
BTW, speaking of Uncle Davey, shipped out a new copy of the Holiday Mixer yesterday. Tossed in the '06 version with it. Hopefully they both play OK on your big rig :)

Same for jonnyhambone, no cover with the '06 Mixer, but CD-TEXT and listing at my comp site. If you like it enough and want a cover (not likely based on last years feedback, and/or lack thereof, from my workmates), email me and I'll email you back either the Word file or a bitmap. Needless to say, I thought it most excellent, though admittedly not very good for dancing :rolleyes:

Rae
12-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Hmm, tough for me to say! As with many of my favorite artists, my appreciation of any one of his specific periods is enhanced by my knowledge of its context within his career. I guess when I think of his "sound," I do think of History-era Loud, but then I listen to some of the really early stuff and am caught off-guard by how much more poetic the wordplay is (I mean, he's always clever, but listen to "Trilogy" next to "The Acid Song" and you'll know what I'm saying) and I'm always a sucker for the stripped-down sound. So I guess the answer is, "it depends."

By the way, Vol. 3's about ready to go and should be in the mail by Christmastime. I might throw on that track you mention just for you.

~Rae

jonnyhambone
12-15-2007, 10:26 PM
So, I'm late on the game, but any way I can get in on the Louden-comp. ride. I don't know much of his stuff for some reason...its right up my alley from what I've heard.

btw, I just got your Holiday Mixer redux Davey...both disks play great and I'm likin' what I've heard so far. Thanks.

Rae
12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Jonny, I will send you all three discs... in fact, I will put them directly in yr hands if I can figure out which of these snowy streets you roam. Hard Times just reopened about an hour ago... perhaps we can rendezvous there at some future point.

Disc 3 is all set, but it will probably be another week or two until I have time to sit down and burn some copies... so yeah, expect it by the new year.

~Rae

PS. Davey, yr package arrived today. Haven't had time to test it but I have high hopes. Thank you!

Ex Lion Tamer
12-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Jonny, I will send you all three discs... in fact, I will put them directly in yr hands if I can figure out which of these snowy streets you roam. Hard Times just reopened about an hour ago... perhaps we can rendezvous there at some future point.

Disc 3 is all set, but it will probably be another week or two until I have time to sit down and burn some copies... so yeah, expect it by the new year.

~Rae

PS. Davey, yr package arrived today. Haven't had time to test it but I have high hopes. Thank you!

At the risk of sounding like a "joiner" can I get in on some of the LWIII fun too? Huh, can I? Huh?

Rae
12-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Yeah, no problem, Mark. I'll add you to the list.

~Rae