what to do [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what to do

couchguy
12-13-2007, 07:46 AM
I am starting to look at some new tvs. I am looking at about a 46" I am trying to decide between LCD and Plasma. I looked at what I thought was a nice tv, it was a Samsung LN-T4669F. What do I need to look for are there brands of LCD or Plasma that I should look at or any I should stay away from. Lighting is no issue I am in a dark basment with no windows. The one thing I do know is that is that I wnat to go with 1080p.
thanks in advance for your help..

johnny p
12-13-2007, 09:20 AM
I prefer LCD, I hear the colors are more vibrant in Plasma..... The rule I was told to follow (not sure if it's right or not) is this...... "shop by price" That's in regards to LCD vs. Plasma NOT BRAND!!!! In regards to brand, everyone probably has their own praise and horror stories..... but in regards to shopping by price for lcd vs. plasma, I'm told this.....

There is a one time fixed cost that is quite high for creating a Plasma T.V., once you create it, to make it bigger, and bigger, and bigger, is only marginally more expensive.... LCD prices increase exponentially the larger you get based on how they are made.....

Someone I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong. What is your Budget? I would love to get a Bravia (my Sharp was a gift) as I've had great experiences with Sony. I hear Toshiba makes nice T.V.s also, but I've never owned one. I had a Toshiba DVD player that was working flawlessly for 7 years before I gave it away, and it got a lot of use. I don't know if a connection can be made in reliability of their Televisions though.

I notice all the hi-fi audio/video stores I've been to seem to carry Mitsubishi televisions, and Hitachi's, but again.... No experience on my end with either, and I tend to be a skeptic.

As long as you go with 1080p I don't know that you'll be disappointed with any unit you get, unless of course it craps out on you..... I'd search for reviews from Amazon, etc. of whatever one you're leaning to, and if you see a lot of "it stopped working after 6 months" etc..... then I'd steer away from it..... my T.V. likes to turn itself on sometimes.... it's frustrating, but I'm told that is a common issue with LCD/Plasma.... go figure.

Good luck... sorry I can't say one brand is definitely better than another.

codecougar
12-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I may be wrong here, but I believe plasma technology is on it's way out. It seems that more manufacturers are focusing on LCD's. I would just recommend going to an electronics store and comparing sets side by side in action. I have always been impressed with Sony's LCD sets. JVC also has very nice LCD's at a good price point. I have a 42" 1080P JVC LCD and I am very happy with it. I would not shell out the $$ right now on the 120 hz or 24 fps LCD's because I just don't think it's all that necessary and the technology, from what I understand, just isn't there yet.

johnny p
12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
that reminds me.... Sony doesn't make Plasma any more.... makes you wonder, I'm sure they know something..... I'd go for LCD.