Coyote, anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Coyote, anyone?

bobsticks
12-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Has anyone picked up the new Coyote disc The Outsides? It was my mystery buy of the week and I have the feeling a few of you more/less enlightened characters might enjoy it.

What I had assumed would be another twangy alt-country affair was indeed turned on it's head. Ryan Hamilton's plaintive vocals are often buried beneath a plodding dirge of bass and gothika organs which give the entire album the feeling that the boys from Archer Prewitt slept with Patricia Morrison and the resultant musician wunderkind listened to nothing but Fields of the Nephilim albums during it's formative years...and wore spurs.
The instrumentation is both simple in it's construction and occassionally lush in its execution, again owed to the the aformentioned keys which range from saloon-style, Frederick Fu$#@&n' Chopin, yoah ah daisy if ya do, tinkling to cathedral Doors psychedelia and some caustic, razor's edge guitars.

If The Sisters of Mercy encapsulated everything about a headful of methamphetamines in London and New York then surely Coyote holds the key to a stomach full of shrooms on the outskirts of Barstow.

http://www.emusic.com/img/album/110/990/11099058_155_155.jpeg

jim goulding
12-12-2007, 09:30 PM
No, man, I haven't heard this, but I DO love your review. It goes in my library of classics.