Calibrating a projection TV. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating a projection TV.

DiscoRage
12-12-2007, 04:59 PM
When we bought a new couch set last year, Leon's threw in an old, crappy HDTV. It's a 52" RCA, model number D52W26.

The picture looks terrible, it's as though the gun is firing farther ahead than it should. A couple inches of the picture are being cut off at the edge of the screen.

I've attached a few pictures. You can see that stations' watermarks are being cut off, as well as the guide for my Expressvu 9200/Dish Network 942. All of these are from HD broadcasts with the receiver set to 1080i.

The TV only has a single component input so I am running both my satellite receiver and my DVD player through my Yamaha receiver. I tried connecting both devices directly to the TV, and got the same results.

How can I go about fixing this problem? Is it worth while having a technician come to look at it? I'm sure if I sold this TV I would be lucky to get $600.

Luvin Da Blues
12-12-2007, 06:26 PM
You wouldn't happen to have it set on one of the zoom modes? My LCD has 2 different modes and one of them gives me a pics like your describing but the PQ was still good.

DiscoRage
12-12-2007, 07:34 PM
When I press the "format" button while on the component input, nothing happens. It changes the zoom level on any other input though.

I also noticed that this model doesn't have a few features listed in the manual, like autoformat and "Film mode (3:2 Pulldown)". I don't know if either of those would help though.

Smokey
12-13-2007, 08:23 PM
The picture looks terrible, it's as though the gun is firing farther ahead than it should. A couple inches of the picture are being cut off at the edge of the screen.

I've attached a few pictures. You can see that stations' watermarks are being cut off, as well as the guide for my Expressvu 9200/Dish Network 942. All of these are from HD broadcasts with the receiver set to 1080i.

It sound like you might have a sever overscanning problem.

If you want, you can access TV’s service menu to see if you can adjust vertical amd horizental size of the picture. But before entering service mode, please have pencil and paper ready to write all of parameter before making any chages.

Here is how to access service menu:

Press and hold MENU
Press POWER
Press VOL+
P00 and V00 will be displayed (left and right sides of screen)
Release MENU
Press VOL+ to set V00 to V76
Press CH+ to select and adjustment that you want to change ( “P00” )
Press VOL+ and VOL- to adjust

P03 adjusts the Horiz Center
P05 Adjust the Vent Center
P06 Adjusts the Vert Size

http://www.artofhacking.com/files/TVMODES.TXT

DiscoRage
12-13-2007, 09:47 PM
It sound like you might have a sever overscanning problem.

If you want, you can access TV’s service menu to see if you can adjust vertical amd horizental size of the picture. But before entering service mode, please have pencil and paper ready to write all of parameter before making any chages.

Here is how to access service menu:

Press and hold MENU
Press POWER
Press VOL+
P00 and V00 will be displayed (left and right sides of screen)
Release MENU
Press VOL+ to set V00 to V76
Press CH+ to select and adjustment that you want to change ( “P00” )
Press VOL+ and VOL- to adjust

P03 adjusts the Horiz Center
P05 Adjust the Vent Center
P06 Adjusts the Vert Size

http://www.artofhacking.com/files/TVMODES.TXT

Am I able to see the picture while I'm doing this?

I've had a few drinks tonight, so I'll wait 'til tomorrow to try this out :)

DiscoRage
12-13-2007, 09:51 PM
I just tired to enter the service menu by holding menu then pressing power and vol+. Nothing happened. I read the article you linked. Does this work on newer projection TVs as well?

pixelthis
12-13-2007, 10:32 PM
I just tired to enter the service menu by holding menu then pressing power and vol+. Nothing happened. I read the article you linked. Does this work on newer projection TVs as well?

There arent any "newer" rptvs, not based on CRT tech, anyway, they are going the way of the dinosaur.
You got one for free, what does that tell you?
Probably factory seconds, I GOT A SIMILAR S-VHS vcr for fifty bucks, was missing a few features.
Try sending a standard def picture through the componet, see if that helps you access zoom mode.
Think you can get 600 bucks for this space waster? GET IT.
You can get a 32in lcd from office depot for 550, a 42in vizio for less that a grand

bfalls
12-14-2007, 10:44 AM
I had a similar problem with my TV. Do you happen to have a Dishnetwork receiver? I have the vip622 and it has zoom features as well. It hadn't originally, so I'm guessing this was changed during an automated upgrade. If you have Dish, press the lowest left-hand button on the remote, If different modes are available you'll see it change. I have a Hitachi 57" and a Sony 32" TV. I noticed the same as you. I had to call and have someone tell me there was a zoom feature. It has Stretch, Zoom1, Zoom2, standard gray-bar and standard black-bar. It seems more likely a zoom problem than scan problem.