Guitar players...Ryan Adams? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guitar players...Ryan Adams?

ForeverAutumn
12-12-2007, 07:57 AM
I really like Ryan Adams music, but I don't listen to the CDs that I have enough to know the individual songs really well. My guitar teacher wants me to bring in a few songs that I want to learn how to play.

What are a couple of Ryan Adams songs that are good songs for a single acoustic guitar? Nothing too advanced please. I'd call myself an intermediate guitar player.

P.S. Non Ryan Adams suggestions are also welcome if you have any.

Mike
12-12-2007, 09:53 AM
That’s a tough one I don’t really consider RA a guitarist so it’s hard to imagine what his songs would be like without the vocals. So I’m guessing you’ll be singing along too.…you should post something on You Tube. Howz about Winding Wheel or Come Pick Me Up from the Heartbreaker album, or something from the Gold album.

Or what about something from Crowded House from the Woodface album like Weather With You or 4 Seasons in One Day. Or there's one of my personal favourites Distant Sun but can’t remember which album that came from.

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
12-12-2007, 06:15 PM
That’s a tough one I don’t really consider RA a guitarist so it’s hard to imagine what his songs would be like without the vocals. So I’m guessing you’ll be singing along too.…you should post something on You Tube. Howz about Winding Wheel or Come Pick Me Up from the Heartbreaker album, or something from the Gold album.

Or what about something from Crowded House from the Woodface album like Weather With You or 4 Seasons in One Day. Or there's one of my personal favourites Distant Sun but can’t remember which album that came from.

Cheers
Mike

Funny that you should mention Crowded House. I started working on Better Be Home Soon yesterday. :)

Bert
12-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Guess I am in that mood but tonight it would be

My Old Friend The Blues
(Steve Earle)

Just when every ray of hope was gone
I should have known that you would come along
I can't believe I ever doubted you
My old friend the blues

Another lonely night, a nameless town
If sleep don't take me first, you'll come around
'Cause I know I can always count on you
My old friend the blues

Lovers leave and friends will let you down
But you're the only sure thing that I've found
No matter what I do I'll never lose
My old friend the blues

Just let me hide my weary heart in you
My old friend the blues

From a cold hotel room and she has left

N.B. only a Cabernet-Sauvignon was injured in the making of this posting :-)

Peace Autumn.

Bert

ForeverAutumn
12-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Wow Bert. If that's your mood, I hope that things look up for you soon.

Peace back at ya!

Swish
12-13-2007, 07:16 AM
I really like Ryan Adams music, but I don't listen to the CDs that I have enough to know the individual songs really well. My guitar teacher wants me to bring in a few songs that I want to learn how to play.

What are a couple of Ryan Adams songs that are good songs for a single acoustic guitar? Nothing too advanced please. I'd call myself an intermediate guitar player.

P.S. Non Ryan Adams suggestions are also welcome if you have any.

...is, are you only talking about songs where you only are strumming chords? That can get boring very quickly, but I don't where you are technically. If you want songs that incorporate a bit more, meaning some extra challenge without being way over your head like a Richard Thompson tune, how about something like Steve Forbert's 'Grand Central Station'? That has some nice alternating bass lines and isn't terribly difficult to learn.

Of, if you want to learn/improve your finger-picking, a bit more challenging might be Bruce Cockburn's 'Pacing the Cage', incorporating a capo, or may Dylan's 'Buckets of Rain', which requires just one string to be tuned up (D to an E) but has some nice finger-picking and slides.

Swish

Bert
12-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Don't worry big improvements coming soon. It does involve a move, however.

I consider it OK to feel that way once in a while, proves I am alive and makes me change my situation. Anyway love has been a staple for songwriters for centuries.

Ciao,
Bert

Wow Bert. If that's your mood, I hope that things look up for you soon.

Peace back at ya!