Interconnect and Speaker Wire Guidance [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interconnect and Speaker Wire Guidance

TSH
12-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Looking for some general guidance on cables for my 2 channel system. I have a NAD C542/C352 CDP/Amp combo with Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers. I have not invested any money in cabling as yet. Using a pretty generic interconnect and home depot 14 gauge speaker wire into one pair of the binding posts only.

I have had the system for a little more than 2 years, so I have given it a fair workout and think I know what I am looking for.

I have spent a lot of time reading about cables and know that I do not want to start a debate here. But, I am overwhelmed by the info and options. So, let's assume that I know I need to spend some money on cables, say up to $200 total for all cabling - that would be 10% of the original pre-tax purchase price of the entire setup at $2K Cdn. If I dont have to spend all that to get the improvement I want, great - more money for music.

By "improvement", I mean the following: I listen to a wide range of music - jazz, vocal jazz, 80s and 90s alt-rock, acoustic/folk, ambient/club lounge...My system handles most of it pretty well, but there are some challenges. Some female vocals and some electric guitars sound 'bright' and some discs give me fatigue. I recognize that this is a result of the speakers and their metal dome tweeters PLUS some of those early CD recordings.

So, long story short, I would like to soften that aspect of the system without negatively impacting the presentation of what is already sounding great. I need to do this by replacing the CDP to Amp interconnect and the two 10ft runs of speaker wire.

Does that make sense?
Thanks in advance.

basite
12-12-2007, 03:45 AM
try Kimber Kable.

a PBJ interconnect and 8PR speaker cable, should be a big upgrade over the standard cables.

Feanor
12-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Looking for some general guidance on cables for my 2 channel system. I have a NAD C542/C352 CDP/Amp combo with Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers. I have not invested any money in cabling as yet. Using a pretty generic interconnect and home depot 14 gauge speaker wire into one pair of the binding posts only.
I have spent a lot of time reading about cables and know that I do not want to start a debate here. But, I am overwhelmed by the info and options. So, let's assume that I know I need to spend some money on cables, say up to $200 total for all cabling - that would be 10% of the original pre-tax purchase price of the entire setup at $2K Cdn. If I dont have to spend all that to get the improvement I want, great - more money for music.

By "improvement", I mean the following: I listen to a wide range of music - jazz, vocal jazz, 80s and 90s alt-rock, acoustic/folk, ambient/club lounge...My system handles most of it pretty well, but there are some challenges. Some female vocals and some electric guitars sound 'bright' and some discs give me fatigue. I recognize that this is a result of the speakers and their metal dome tweeters PLUS some of those early CD recordings.
Thanks in advance.

You're wise not to want to spend a lot on cables and interconnects. The differences you'll hear with the NAD / MA combo by spending $200 -- or three times that -- will be nil to very negligible.

We need to face the act that the "bright" sound is on the recording. I haven't heard the MA's but the NAD equipment is slightly on the warm side. Interconnects and cables will make hugely less difference than the other components.

If your current stuff is real cheapo, it is possible that good, pro-grade cables will make a difference. I always recommend interconnects from Blue Jeans Cable, and I dare say their speaker cable options are good too ...
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Feanor
12-12-2007, 06:01 AM
try Kimber Kable.

a PBJ interconnect and 8PR speaker cable, should be a big upgrade over the standard cables.

I have a pair of of PBJ's I bought to "de-brighten" the sound of my CDP played through my Bel Canto amp. Although the improvement was extremely slight, I believe there was some. There is a reasonable explanation of why this might have been the case. The PBJ's have relatively high inductance and low capacitance; this combo slightly favors bass over the highs.

On the other hand, with my current equipment, I hear absolutely no discernable difference between the $100 PBJ's and the $25 Blue Jeans.

markw
12-12-2007, 06:11 AM
My system handles most of it pretty well, but there are some challenges. Some female vocals and some electric guitars sound 'bright' and some discs give me fatigue. I recognize that this is a result of the speakers and their metal dome tweeters PLUS some of those early CD recordings.I note you say "some", not "all". Think about that for a while. If you make a global change as you seem to be striving for, do you expect it to not have an effect on the stuff that now sounds good?

It seems to me this is calls for a software solution rather than than a hardware one. As you've noticed, not all source material is created equal and you have no control over that.

Now, if you said "all" instead of "some, well, that's another issue. I'd be looking at your speakers then.

So, long story short, I would like to soften that aspect of the system without negatively impacting the presentation of what is already sounding great. I need to do this by replacing the CDP to Amp interconnect and the two 10ft runs of speaker wire.
Well, I wish you well in your endeavours but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Any changes you should expect from items will be extremely subtle at best. Don't expect them to cure deficiencies in other areas of the chain.

There's world of wires and cables out there and there are many who will be glad to recommend their personal favorites.

Mtbrider
12-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I'd recommend the Audio Art Cables IC-3 interconnect for $99 as a start.

http://www.audioartcable.com

You could also get the Mapleshade copper ribbon jumpers instead of initially bi-wiring. They are in the $20-$25 range. These two changes alone might give you what your are looking for.

TSH
12-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I appreciate the responses. I will take the advise and do a little more focused research - see what kinds of comments are out there about these particular suggestions. Cant afford the purchase until after Christmas bills are paid, so I have some time.

A related question based on the fact the jumpers that come with speakers seem to, generally speaking, get a bad rap and a lot of folks suggest they are a prime place to start. So, either bi-wiring or at least changing those jumpers out for some other piece of something may be a cost-effective experiment???

musicoverall
12-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I appreciate the responses. I will take the advise and do a little more focused research - see what kinds of comments are out there about these particular suggestions. Cant afford the purchase until after Christmas bills are paid, so I have some time.

A related question based on the fact the jumpers that come with speakers seem to, generally speaking, get a bad rap and a lot of folks suggest they are a prime place to start. So, either bi-wiring or at least changing those jumpers out for some other piece of something may be a cost-effective experiment???

Whatever component change you make, that change is across the board.

And whatever you try in the way of cables, make sure you can return them if they don't provide the improvement you're looking for. I'm not aware of any system that was made or broken by cables, and I'd be very leery of any system that was. Cables should be the icing on an already great tasting cake.

Feanor
12-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Whatever component change you make, that change is across the board.

And whatever you try in the way of cables, make sure you can return them if they don't provide the improvement you're looking for. I'm not aware of any system that was made or broken by cables, and I'd be very leery of any system that was. Cables should be the icing on an already great tasting cake.

I think some people believe that because a pair of cables or ICs is the cheapest possible component upgrade they can make, then it ough to be the first upgrade they make. You can waste a lot of money that way. That is to say, it would be better to save the money on those cables that will make a minute (or imaginary) difference, and put it towards an upgrade on another component that would undoubtedly make a significant difference.

JohnMichael
12-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Check out HCM Audio and AudioAdvisor. They both have some clearance on Audioquest cables. HCM has the Coral IC's fairly cheap and AA has the Type 6 speaker cable that they terminate from bulk cable for not much money.

TSH
12-18-2007, 09:03 PM
I have been away from the PC for a few days. Thanks for the additional replies. I appreciate the advice and warnings. I am certainly not planning to spend a lot of money on this particular upgrade. In general, I am pleased with the performance of the system - just wondering if there is something that can be tweaked to make a small improvement - not enough that it would negatively impact what does work, but enough that I maybe hear a softening of the harsh elements in some music.

I will do a little more research over the next couple of weeks and make some decision about how to proceed. If I can borrow some different cables from a couple dealers, that seems to be ideal.

markw
12-19-2007, 05:50 AM
seriously, try a layer or two of tissue paper over the tweeter.