Sony Bravia KDL52XBR5 Comments [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony Bravia KDL52XBR5 Comments

bfalls
12-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I usually hang out in the audio and Home Theater Forums. I've just purchased a Sony KDL52XBR5 for $2499. It was too good of a deal to pass up. I'm looking for comments from other owners.

Jack in Wilmington
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I usually hang out in the audio and Home Theater Forums. I've just purchased a Sony KDL52XBR5 for $2499. It was too good of a deal to pass up. I'm looking for comments from other owners.

Though I'm not an owner, that is the line of TV's I've been checking out. Judgeing by the prices at the box stores, that is a very good deal. I have my sights set on the KDL40XBR4 which will work better in my room. It has all the latest features, 1080P, 120hz, . I compared it with the other Sony's, the W3000 series, the V3000 series, and the S3000 series. Do you plan on getting a Blu-Ray DVD player?

AVMASTER
12-12-2007, 04:42 AM
That's an incredibly low price on a protected series, I'm a Sony XBR dealer and I can't get the 5 series. I've got to know, Where did you get it?

bfalls
12-12-2007, 11:52 AM
I work for Sony performing copy-control for DVD. We have a Family Center where employees get discounts, but most often you can buy the same at a discount store for equal or lower price. Once a year they provide additional discounts.

Yesterday started their annual discount sale. I purchased the KDL52XBR5 LCD for $2499 and their flagship ES receiver STRDA5300ES for $789 (MSRP $1699). I've waited for an HDMI 1.3a receiver for some time. It has 6 HDMI inputs, 120Wx7and many more bells and whistles. I'm not usually a Sony fan when it comes to receivers, but it was too good a deal to pass up. I had my eye on the Yamaha RX-V3800, but the lowest price I've seen is $1200. I can buy a mess of Blu-rays for that.

I do have a PS3 for Blu-ray and got in on the $98 HD-DVD HD-2A. I figure for $98 it would be a good upsampling/converting DVD player when HD-DVD goes under;-) Also I may later purchase "Transformers" and "The Bourne Ultimatum".

When evaluating whether to purchase the LCD or not I saw the KLDXBR4 versions. I did the compare on the Sony site and it seems the only differences are the warranty (18 months instead of 12) and the XBR5 series has an RS232 interface to Home Automation controls. The KDL52XBR4 version wasn't on sale and was actually $300 more than the XBR5. Seemed like a no-brainer.

SoCal_Sonic
12-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Howdy,

first post for me!

I just picked up the 52" XBR5 also (I work for Sony Pictures Imageworks)
and COULD NOT walk away from the Sony Family store after seeing the floating glass/piano black beauty with $2,499 written across it in red!!!! WOW. Sale ends today.

I'm looking forward to set it up this coming week, and will report. My Citation
7.0 has seen better days, so I may have to run back to the store (or online) and pick up an ES for half price before the day ends! :ihih:

I'm currently set up as mostly 70's 2-channel, with a vintage Bose 1801 amp,
Bose 4401 pre-amp, with a set of Dahlquist DQ10's and a set of Maggies (MG-II).

Cheers,

-r.

AVMASTER
12-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Hmmm, its interesting that Sony would be giving these away, especially since my dealer cost for the XBR4 is more than what you've paid! I wonder if Sony is planning on dropping the 5 series and starting to eliminate inventory by offering its' employees first shot at "gotta buy" prices? Since retail of the 5 series is limited and the difference between the two models does not justify the higher price of the 5 series, it would make sense to drop it and add a gloss black bezel option for the XBR4. just a thought

bfalls
12-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Hmmm, its interesting that Sony would be giving these away, especially since my dealer cost for the XBR4 is more than what you've paid! I wonder if Sony is planning on dropping the 5 series and starting to eliminate inventory by offering its' employees first shot at "gotta buy" prices? Since retail of the 5 series is limited and the difference between the two models does not justify the higher price of the 5 series, it would make sense to drop it and add a gloss black bezel option for the XBR4. just a thought

The only difference I saw between the two was the warranty and RS232c interface, the XBR4 was actually more on the site. Reguardless, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I belieive the benzels are interchangeable on the XBR5s.

bfalls
12-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Howdy,

first post for me!

I just picked up the 52" XBR5 also (I work for Sony Pictures Imageworks)
and COULD NOT walk away from the Sony Family store after seeing the floating glass/piano black beauty with $2,499 written across it in red!!!! WOW. Sale ends today.

I'm looking forward to set it up this coming week, and will report. My Citation
7.0 has seen better days, so I may have to run back to the store (or online) and pick up an ES for half price before the day ends! :ihih:

I'm currently set up as mostly 70's 2-channel, with a vintage Bose 1801 amp,
Bose 4401 pre-amp, with a set of Dahlquist DQ10's and a set of Maggies (MG-II).

Cheers,

-r.
Imageworks cool. I just read a good artical about Imageworks and Spiderman in one of my Home Theater magazines. I'm not a big fan of Bose, at least not their speakers. I haven't had any experience with their electronics, so I'll reserve my opinion on them. The Dalquist and Maggies are very well-received speakers systems. I think the ES would be a good buy. Our Media Test Center purchased one for ARccOS and general DVD testing, so I got to see it "up close and personal". Man it's a heavy well-appointed unit. I can't wait to see how it performs. I have both Denon and Yamaha receivers now, so it has some pretty tough acts to follow. From what I've seen, it's up to the task. I'll post a review once everything is broken in and at its best.

SoCal_Sonic
12-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Imageworks cool. I just read a good artical about Imageworks and Spiderman in one of my Home Theater magazines. I'm not a big fan of Bose, at least not their speakers. I haven't had any experience with their electronics, so I'll reserve my opinion on them. The Dalquist and Maggies are very well-received speakers systems. I think the ES would be a good buy. Our Media Test Center purchased one for ARccOS and general DVD testing, so I got to see it "up close and personal". Man it's a heavy well-appointed unit. I can't wait to see how it performs. I have both Denon and Yamaha receivers now, so it has some pretty tough acts to follow. From what I've seen, it's up to the task. I'll post a review once everything is broken in and at its best.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Bose speakers either (Other than possibly the series I or II of the 901s). The Dalquists and Maggies were so power hungry that all my modern gear couldn't unchain them until I met up with the mid 70's Bose 1801. Its got 250 wpc at 8 ohms,
and 400 wpc at 4 ohms. It also has a 41 pound transformer (Total weight is near 90 pounds).
I think Bose only made the 1801 and 4401 for around four years in the mid 70's. Rare birds. Needless to say, my ears opened up like flower petals when the maggies got juiced, and my jaws dropped when Dalquists got the power it deserved.

Good luck on the ES (got my eyes on that unit). Can't wait for a Blueray disc on the XBR5 mid-week.

kenjas
01-04-2008, 07:12 AM
I bought an KDL52XBR5 in Canada for $3250/-. I thought this was a great deal.

I am looking to buy Bose Home Theater System with Cordless Speakers.

Any recommendations and ideas as to what model is good where I can get a good deal while I visiting US.

Thanks

codecougar
01-04-2008, 06:44 PM
I bought an KDL52XBR5 in Canada for $3250/-. I thought this was a great deal.

I am looking to buy Bose Home Theater System with Cordless Speakers.

Any recommendations and ideas as to what model is good where I can get a good deal while I visiting US.

Thanks

Well, most people around here and I suppose most audiophiles in general dislike BOSE. I won't spend a lot of time discussing it here. You can Google Bose and find a lot of info about why most people who know better dislike their products.

I personally hate Bose. I started hating Bose before I ever knew it was cool to hate them. It was just that every Bose set up I heard sounded terrible, whether it be in a car or home system. Then I started noticing that all my friends who had Bose admitted that they didn't like their systems.

Sooooooo..... just remember kiddies, BOSE= "Buy Other Stereo Equipment". ie: get something good !! :)

Samardas1
04-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Where and how can I get the KDL52XBR5 for under $2,500 or so? Some in the forum said they bought it for $2,499. Any idea when and how I can get similar price and from where?
Thanks so much.

blackraven
04-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I've got a 52" XBR4 that I paid $2900 for (along with a free sony BluRay player) and its a great TV with an outstanding HD picture and very good sound. There's nothing else that needs to be said because that says it all!

Samardas1
04-09-2008, 06:50 AM
I would still like to know where some of you got the 52" XBR5 for $2,499? Any idea when they will be available and where? I am in Los Angeles area. Thanks.

f0rge
04-09-2008, 10:12 AM
I would still like to know where some of you got the 52" XBR5 for $2,499? Any idea when they will be available and where? I am in Los Angeles area. Thanks.

they work for sony and got them at a once a year sale

captjamo
04-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Nice price. The closest I've seen is 3099.00 and you won't pay sales tax or shipping at butterflyphoto.com.

sonuj2
04-13-2008, 08:21 AM
I picked up mine (KDLXBR4) at Abt for $2998 delivered ....... and needless to say it is an AWESOME TV. The sharpness is just incredible and blows your socks away. The blacks are true and the colors in general are great. I am just using the out of box settings and do not want to touch a thing.

blackraven
04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I dont know why any one would buy a plasma (other than price) after seeing the picture on the XBR4 at home on a good HD signal. I love mine.

OzzieAudiophile
04-15-2008, 12:16 AM
This is not meant to be primarily positive, nor negative feedback.

Much of the feedback I received about Sony Bravia Full Hi Def LCD screens is that
they are overly expensive. They are at least 1.5 to 1.75 times the price of other
brands. They sold like hotcakes in January when Sony had the promotion of giving
a PS3 40 GB by redemption. Sony made a killing in that month, they sold 3 times
more than what they predicted.

Many brands of various products do cost more because you pay for the name.
IBM for PCs for example.

Samardas1
04-22-2008, 06:06 PM
I've got a 52" XBR4 that I paid $2900 for (along with a free sony BluRay player) and its a great TV with an outstanding HD picture and very good sound. There's nothing else that needs to be said because that says it all!

Where did you get 52XBR4 for $3,099 plus Blue-Ray DVD player? Any idea how much should be 52XBR5? I do not want to buy from those NY stores that give you cheap price but shoddy deals. Thanks for your help...