Nick Drake - Fruit Tree box [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nick Drake - Fruit Tree box

Rae
12-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Anyone else pick this up? New remasters of all three of his studio album plus a heavily annotated companion book and the DVD documentary Way to Blue. Both CD and vinyl versions are available; I opted for the latter. Essential!

~Rae

bobsticks
12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I like Nick Drake as a songwriter and want to like him a lot more than I do, but after a few listens to the new,improved A Treasury SACD remix I can't bring myself to jump right in. Such a poor outing with such promise

I'm sure there are different factors at play for you vinyl cats, but for us digiboys this kind of hi-dollar chicanery don't cut it.

PeruvianSkies
12-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I like Nick Drake as a songwriter and want to like him a lot more than I do, but after a few listens to the new,improved A Treasury SACD remix I can't bring myself to jump right in. Such a poor outing with such promise

I'm sure there are different factors at play for you vinyl cats, but for us digiboys this kind of hi-dollar chicanery don't cut it.

I have that SACD as well and liked the first few tracks, but really couldn't get past that. I thought maybe it was just me, glad someone else felt that way too as I really wanted to like it more than I did.

BarryL
12-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Anyone else pick this up? New remasters of all three of his studio album plus a heavily annotated companion book and the DVD documentary Way to Blue. Both CD and vinyl versions are available; I opted for the latter. Essential!

~Rae

I'd be curious to see the DVD.

I've been a ND fan for a long time. I have pre-CD vinyl of his three releases on Island I think. They remastered the CDs a few years back, so I'm not buying again.

There was a recent release of some Nick Drake cassettes pre his recording contracts. They are interesting to listen to if you are a real fan. He sounds a lot like Syd Barrett at times. They did a great job converting a 40 year old cassette tape to CD quality. It's not perfect, but given there ain't nothing more, I'll take it for what it's worth.

Davey
12-14-2007, 08:18 AM
I have pre-CD vinyl of his three releases on Island I think.

Careful with that early vinyl, some of it is extremely valuable. Mint UK copies of Pink Moon with the pink rimmed Island 'palm tree' label can go for $1000. The first two not quite as much, but all very valuable. Don't know what yours might be worth, but original Nick Drake vinyl is scarce, and in good shape they are certainly worth much more than most releases from that time period.

BarryL
12-14-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd be happy to sell mine to you if you are interested.

Pink moon may be an import, but I don't think the other two are. I'll have to check.

And how does one actually go about selling vinyl nowadays?

Davey
12-14-2007, 04:01 PM
I'd be happy to sell mine to you if you are interested.
I'm kind of cheap. Mainly just a heads up.

Pink moon may be an import, but I don't think the other two are. I'll have to check.
Not sure what they did in Canada, but they are probably later pressings if you have the first two separate since they comped the first two into one release for the US. I don't think they got separate releases until after he died.

And how does one actually go about selling vinyl nowadays?
Depends on what you have, but research a little for past sales on ebay. Even some of the later pressings are still kind of valuable. But that $1000 figure would only be for a verified original in mint condition, full moon on the rise and lots of crazies out to bid. Most originals would probably go for closer to $50-100.