Will I blow up my amp? trying to go [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will I blow up my amp? trying to go

traugh
12-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Would like to jump to the Home theater setup soon but for now I have to make do (kids/christmas/wife and all that). I have a relatively newer HK stereo receiver with remote (my Mc stuff was way too early for remotes). I would like to plug my 6100 into the HK switched outlet, come out of the pre-outs of the HK into the Amp section of the 6100 by removing the connectors between the pre-amp and amp sections. In essence being able to use the remote features of the HK with the Mc running the 4 ohm speakers.

I have never done this before but I THINK I would just come out of the pre-outs and into the amp inputs on the McIntosh and hooking the speakers to the Mc? Does this sound right? Won't this allow me to control the speakers thru the remote as well as run some 8 ohm rear speakers (non surround - I know) into the room using the HK. Sorry for sounding stupid with this but I always took just what my Mc gave me and didn't dwell on it.

markw
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
1) What's the maximum current draw of the 6100?

2) What's the specified limit for the HK's switched outlet?

If #1 is greater than #2, I'd not do it. While it may not spitzandspark, I'm pretty sure there are reasons for it's power limits.

traugh
12-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Good point. I am sure it will draw too much. I'll just have to leave it (the MC) on. Everything else sound like it will work? I really have never worked with separate component systems.

1) What's the maximum current draw of the 6100?

2) What's the specified limit for the HK's switched outlet?

If #1 is greater than #2, I'd not do it. While it may not spitzandspark, I'm pretty sure there are reasons for it's power limits.

pixelthis
12-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Theres no need to plug the mc into the switched outlet, if you just want them to turn on and off together there are plenty of solutions.
Radio shack sells these little pods, plug your gear into one and plug it in the wall, there is a remote that will turn it on and off. Its mostly for lights but will work with anything.
I have a little switchbox that will control six devices, works through the power lines.
Or you could just plug both into a power strip, use the switch on it.
The rest of your "wiring" is sound, take the pre outs on the hk and run them through the mc, thats what they are for:1: