Velodyne or OrbAudio Sub?!?! help me decide! *PICS inside [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Velodyne or OrbAudio Sub?!?! help me decide! *PICS inside

pekopeeus
12-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Hello guys, I finally setup my OrbAudio MOD2 with the super 8 sub. My dad gave me his old 10" sealed Velodyne the other day. Which is better? I like the deeper bass that 10" provides. Honestly I think this Orb Super 8 is a bit weak when I listen to hip hop music. What do you guys think? My receiver is an old Marantz SR-18 which has DTS. I mainly use this to watch DVD and listen to music. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!!

p.s I like bass :cornut:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/pekopeeus/sub007.jpghttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/pekopeeus/sub006.jpghttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/pekopeeus/sub005.jpghttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/pekopeeus/sub003.jpghttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/pekopeeus/sub002.jpg

topspeed
12-10-2007, 09:36 AM
My dad gave me his old 10" sealed Velodyne the other day. Which is better? I like the deeper bass that 10" provides. Honestly I think this Orb Super 8 is a bit weak when I listen to hip hop music. Sounds to me like you answered your own question. Whatever sounds best to you is always the right answer.

GMichael
12-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Sounds to me like you answered your own question. Whatever sounds best to you is always the right answer.

Ditto.

But please be careful with the wide pics. They make it tough to view & reply to posts.

markw
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
1) Orb specializes in making little speakers.

2) Velodyne specializes in making subwoofers.

3) Do the math.

4) Actually, since you have both of 'em, and have listened to both of 'em, why do you need our opinion to make up your mind?

topspeed
12-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Just noticed the Velo is servo controlled. Chances are that sub cost more than your entire Orb set-up.

audio amateur
12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I've never heard the orb but the velodyne probably kills it. However only you can make up your mind. You have them both with you the answer should be very easy.

PeruvianSkies
12-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Velodyne all the way and then some!

Florian
12-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Looks like a HGS-10, kick ass subwoofer. Enjoy!

pekopeeus
12-10-2007, 11:26 PM
help me out here guys,
what should my phase set at?
subsonic?
crossover?
and that big switch LOW-PASS cross over?

I watch DVDs and listen to R&B musics.
Also I only connect 1 RCA wire to the input LEFT.

pekopeeus
12-11-2007, 02:03 AM
The Velodyne obviously sounds much better after I compare them. Right now I am connecting them both together. Lots of bass. hehe

audio amateur
12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
settings are mostly a matter of taste, but technicaly you may want to start out like this (others correct me if i'm wrong):
Phase at 0 degree
Low pass xover at 80Hz (I assume that's the approx. orbs' cut-off, I myself would perhaps set it a bit lower depending on how well those orbs manage the bass).
Volume; well whatever fills in nicely with the orbs.Impossible to suggest a setting.
Subsonic filter at 20.
And I dont know what the x-over in/out is.
Cheers and indeed you better make use of that sub 'cause i'm very jealous.

markw
12-11-2007, 12:12 PM
settings are mostly a matter of taste, but technicaly you may want to start out like this (others correct me if i'm wrong):
Phase at 0 degreeI've found this control has no audiable efffect in my system.

Low pass xover at 80Hz (I assume that's the approx. orbs' cut-off, I myself would perhaps set it a bit lower depending on how well those orbs manage the bass).Those Orbs are good but really, really tiny. I'd think somewhat higher. He should check their -3 db point for more on this.

Volume; well whatever fills in nicely with the orbs.Impossible to suggest a setting.True, very true.

Subsonic filter at 20.Works for me. This will prevent any sounds below 20 hz, or whatever it's set to.

And I dont know what the x-over in/out is."In" means he'll be using the sub's internal crossover. "Out" will bypass the sub's internal Xover and allow the AVR to control the Xover functions.

DEVO
12-11-2007, 01:46 PM
You will really like that older Velodyne...what has happened to the newer lineup of them?

PeruvianSkies
12-11-2007, 04:14 PM
You will really like that older Velodyne...what has happened to the newer lineup of them?

Well, the newer ones don't seem to be as rough and tough as the older models, the newer ones seem to be going for appeal factor visually and less bulky in nature or more contoured, whereas the older ones were just straight-up wall shakers.

audio amateur
12-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Well there you go, you got me suggesting settings and Mark explaining to me why I chose those settings:p
You have all you need now:)
So go on and get some J-S Bach CDs spinnin'

Mark-depending on your room acoustics and how low your mains go phase control should have an effect, although i've had trouble trying to get proper phasing in the past because of bass nodes. On top of that I don't have an SPL meter

mconn
12-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Use both...the Orb system from speaker level outs and the Velodyne from the Sub out. I run a set up that way (not Orbs) and am very happy with the results. More buttons to play with and no bass loss plus maintain sub/sat compatibility of Orb system.

pekopeeus
12-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I used both actually and I think it's too much bass for me. It actually covers up the bass over the mids and highs. I am thinking to refund the super eight sub woofer.

Again, I am not loosing any frequencies here right? I set my low pass cross over about 110hz right now on the sub.

pekopeeus
12-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Again, I am not loosing any frequencies here right? I set my low pass cross over about 110hz right now on the sub.

audio amateur
12-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I used both actually and I think it's too much bass for me. It actually covers up the bass over the mids and highs. I am thinking to refund the super eight sub woofer.

na it's all good, as long as you have one of the subs. If you like the velo, try and get your money back. I think I would use only one. But you can try as mconn suggested, see how it works. If it's top much bass just level the volume down on each sub. Try and match the orb and super eight level and get the velo to blend in and do the lowest octave. In which case I would place the super eight at the front, near the front speakers, and set the xover on it relatively high (80-110Hz), and then stick the velo wherever you please in the room (preferably near the front too). and have it cut off much lower (i.e 40-50Hz).

basite
12-16-2007, 01:16 PM
using 2 subs doing one channel is a bad thing IMO, you generate phase disortion, bass overload, and it's going to cancel the bass out at some frequencies.

Just use the velodyne sub alone...

pekopeeus
12-16-2007, 06:52 PM
using 2 subs doing one channel is a bad thing IMO, you generate phase disortion, bass overload, and it's going to cancel the bass out at some frequencies.

Just use the velodyne sub alone...

yup that's what I think too. I can refund the orb sub no problem. They suggest me try setting the low pass cross over at 80-120hz for the velodyne.

audio amateur
12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
no it won't, if you're connecting it as mconn suggested, you're simply making the orbs the equivalent of floorstanders. Which means it's like you're using one sub only. And if you get 'phase issues' than adjust it on the velo.