Wow! Wilco gets a Grammy nomination. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Wilco gets a Grammy nomination.

Swish
12-10-2007, 05:48 AM
I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Sky Blue Sky is a nice record, but, like most everyone else here, I despise the very thought of 'awards' like the Grammys. I do like the fact that they're getting free publicity from it and most assuredly will sell more records because of it, and that's not a bad thing, it's just for all the wrong reasons.

Swish

MindGoneHaywire
12-10-2007, 05:56 AM
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Feb-26-Mon-2007/photos/milli.jpg

ForeverAutumn
12-10-2007, 08:05 AM
I've heard three different songs from Sky Blue Sky on Volkswagon commercials.

Davey
12-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Wow! Wilco gets a Grammy nomination.

Wow! Wilco won 2 Grammy's for their last record!

Back then they won Alternative album of the year, but this time they are up for Rock album of the year :sleep:

Swish
12-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Wow! Wilco won 2 Grammy's for their last record!

Back then they won Alternative album of the year, but this time they are up for Rock album of the year :sleep:

Oh, right. I don't care about the Grammys.

Swish

Davey
12-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Gee...how could I forget that they won before? Oh, right. I don't care about the Grammys.

And yet, you start a thread about them? The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Molina sings another somber tune, and the Sojourner box moves closer to my heart.

Ex Lion Tamer
12-10-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Sky Blue Sky is a nice record, but, like most everyone else here, I despise the very thought of 'awards' like the Grammys. I do like the fact that they're getting free publicity from it and most assuredly will sell more records because of it, and that's not a bad thing, it's just for all the wrong reasons.

Swish

I like when bands/artists who deserve mainstream recognition/success, find it. Arcade Fire gets a nod for best alternative album.

bobsticks
12-10-2007, 04:06 PM
And yet, you start a thread about them? The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Molina sings another somber tune, and the Sojourner box moves closer to my heart.

Yah, est eez a gut box, eh?

Maybe the Academy or whoever votes for these things noticed that a fair amount of mainstream artists have been involved in scandals...or just plain suck. I don't mind if Wilco or Arcade Fire get a little lovin', they need to eat too. And, if it avoids the disgrace of having a super clean-sweep by the likes of Three Days Grace then more power to 'em. Hell, I've even enjoyed some of the stuff that Dave Grohl has done this year--except that one song reminds me of "One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other" from Sesame Street lore. Overall, not a bad year for nominations.

As an aside, I heard Spoon on the radio today.

Davey
12-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Yah, est eez a gut box, eh?

Yah, eez gut sheet.

Hard to soak it all in, so I tend to fixate on one of the discs, and then almost like an epiphany it hits me how much I love what Molina does. Even in his later guise as the new Neil Young and Crazy Horse, his own song craft and personality still comes through. Doubt he can ever top the best of those two last Songs:Ohia records (at least for me), the amazing "Farewell Transmission" followed by "Riding with the Ghost" may have been the best opening of any record I heard in the last decade. But really glad to have this box. From what I've heard, Black Ram is his best CD since becoming the Magnolia Electric Co., and I love Nashville Moon almost as much. The short Sun Sessions EP playing now, and I like it a lot too. Probably not the place for a newbie to start wandering around, but man, eez gut sheet for fans like me to catch up on where he's been riding the last couple years or so.

Mama here comes midnight with the dead moon in its jaws
Must be the big star about to fall
Long dark blues
Will o the wisp
The big star is falling
Through the static and distance
A farewell transmission...

And yea, Spoon has gotten pretty popular. You often hear their songs on the latest hip and cool TV shows, kind of makes me wince sometimes, but good for Britt, he deserves it.

bobsticks
12-12-2007, 02:47 AM
Yah, eez gut sheet.

... Doubt he can ever top the best of those two last Songs:Ohia records (at least for me), the amazing "Farewell Transmission" followed by "Riding with the Ghost" may have been the best opening of any record I heard in the last decade. But really glad to have this box...

Not just the openers, he closes well too. Blue Chicago Moon gets me every time.

NP:http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1715000/images/_1719113_afrocelt150.jpg