passive subwoofers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : passive subwoofers

sgt bass08
12-09-2007, 04:09 AM
hi guys this is my first post on ere :) i just want to ask u i brought some kenwood series 21 surround speakers with built in subwoofers but what i want to know is will them subs in them spekaers work on my sony str db930 av amp as i normaly use active subs using the subwoofer pre out puts on the back of my hi fi ????

sgt bass08
12-09-2007, 06:07 AM
ive not brought them yet im still waitng for them to be posted thats y im asking the question

markw
12-09-2007, 09:26 AM
passive subs won't work with an AV amplifier without an amplifier. That's what powered subs have that passive subs lack.

sgt bass08
12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
thats what i thought but the guy that im buying the speakers of is saying that he is going to change the speaker cables to rca outputs and then use the rca cables to the sub pre out on my amp and that will send frequenys to the passive subs his he right ??

sgt bass08
12-09-2007, 11:14 AM
and a other thing is i was looking on ebay and i saw this Jamo Distribution Amplifier MPA-101 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jamo-Distribution-Amplifier-MPA-101-TSP-299-99_W0QQitemZ250195537875QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14973QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and the review of it says The amplifier can be set to operate full range to power regular speakers, or set in an adjustable low-pass mode to power passive subwoofers. will this work with my av amp so i can use them kenwood speakers with build in subs ???

basite
12-09-2007, 12:11 PM
thats what i thought but the guy that im buying the speakers of is saying that he is going to change the speaker cables to rca outputs and then use the rca cables to the sub pre out on my amp and that will send frequenys to the passive subs his he right ??

that will send the frequencies to the passive sub, the passive sub will do nothing (maybe a slight hum when some bass comes through) and will eventually (in a short term) kill your subwoofer preamp section in the receiver/preamp, if not the entire pre.

passive subs need amps, from the sub pre out to the amp, from the amp to the sub.
and preferably with an EQ and volume knob between it.

sgt bass08
12-09-2007, 12:24 PM
that will send the frequencies to the passive sub, the passive sub will do nothing (maybe a slight hum when some bass comes through) and will eventually (in a short term) kill your subwoofer preamp section in the receiver/preamp, if not the entire pre.

passive subs need amps, from the sub pre out to the amp, from the amp to the sub.
and preferably with an EQ and volume knob between it.

yer dats what i was thinking its not going to work i shud stick to active subs but is there anyway to power them passive subs by using that jamo amp ???

sgt bass08
12-09-2007, 12:30 PM
thanks for ur help guys i think im going to leave passive subs n get active subs

Vardo
12-09-2007, 12:54 PM
The Jamo amp on Ebay would work, but they want 99lbs, or $200
for buy it now..this amp from parts express can deliver 75 watts to
each of the subs in your surrounds...........Link:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-812

75 watts may not be enough to drive them though.
Good luck, Vardo

sgt bass08
12-11-2007, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Vardo]The Jamo amp on Ebay would work, but they want 99lbs, or $200
for buy it now..this amp from parts express can deliver 75 watts to
each of the subs in your surrounds...........Link:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-812

75 watts may not be enough to drive them though.
Good luck, Vardo[/QUOc

wot kind of amps r there out there to drive passive subs that r built in the speakers cus u dont get many speakers with built in subwoofers and can u get lound passive amps something like 150-250 watts 4 home use something like the one in the above link and if so will they sound better and will they give out more power cus all u see for home subwoofers is active amps :0: