USB Turntables and other newbie questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : USB Turntables and other newbie questions

AlainMichel
12-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Hello All,

It's been almost 30 years since I last bought audio equipment! I thought my Yamaha R-1000 had gone bad; turns out it was the cartridge in the Dual CS-528 turntable.

I have more than 2,000 vinyl LP's; classical, rock. Slowly moving into the 21st century[!], I was thinking about a replacing the Dual with a USB turntable. I'd like to be able to burn some of my favorite 1960's rock & classical LP's to CD's. I've got several hundred cassette tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD also. I have a 1980 vintage Tandberg TD 420A cassette deck which I hope will be up to the challenge!

Can I burn CD's/tapes with just a turntable/deck, or do I need to purchase software too? How good are USB turntables? Do they have [or need] a stroboscope? Are they better than my 27 year old Dual?! Care to recommend a cartridge? Back in 1980, my Dual cost $150.00. Don't mind investing good money for quality audio gear.

Since I don't know beans about this new technology, I was hoping to impose on the group for some guidance in selection, what's available and any websites to help educate myself.

If anyone would care to make a suggestion based on experience, that would be most helpful.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain...San Diego

Feanor
12-09-2007, 04:39 AM
Hello All,

I have more than 2,000 vinyl LP's; classical, rock. Slowly moving into the 21st century[!], I was thinking about a replacing the Dual with a USB turntable. I'd like to be able to burn some of my favorite 1960's rock & classical LP's to CD's. I've got several hundred cassette tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD also. I have a 1980 vintage Tandberg TD 420A cassette deck which I hope will be up to the challenge!

Can I burn CD's/tapes with just a turntable/deck, or do I need to purchase software too? How good are USB turntables? Do they have [or need] a stroboscope? Are they better than my 27 year old Dual?! Care to recommend a cartridge? Back in 1980, my Dual cost $150.00. Don't mind investing good money for quality audio gear.
Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain...San Diego

Others might give you a more in-depth answers, meanwhile ... I wouldn't I'd buy a USB-only turntable, (is that the way they come?). You won't need USB if your pre/amp/receiver has Tape Out jacks; you can connect from there to you computer with a stereo RCA-to-miniplug cable or adapter.

You will need recording software, such as Nero, or Audacity which is freeware. Likely with USB turntable they will include some sort of recording software that will do the job.