CD Carousel vs. DVD/CD Carousel "Help" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD Carousel vs. DVD/CD Carousel "Help"

bjbwtt44
12-08-2007, 06:40 PM
I've been enjoying music for the past 15 years on my Denon dvr-1800 & Kenwood Carousel Cd player. The Kenwood has died. Why are the DVD/CD players not popular anymore, example Denon DVD-1845. From what I'm hearing the DVD's play great and the CD's play average at best? My wife and I listen to a lot of music and would just like a simple solution to listening to random CD music and if it plays movies, great. Suggestions?

johnny p
12-09-2007, 09:03 AM
If you enjoy music, to that extent, I'd get a dedicated CD player, designed to get the most out of your 2 channel listening. I am far from the audiophile, so I just play CDs from a 400 disc. player, and what doesn't fit in that, gets popped into the DVD player for a listen. The quality from the DVD player I have is actually better than that of the CD player, but that's what I get for a low-end CD player that's a few years old. I've always steered clear of the 5 disc carousels, just because I've never seen the benefit from 5 discs, etc. but amongst the 400 discs that currently reside in my player, I can count the number of artists on two hands, so It's a bit of a different circumstance I guess, because "random/shuffle" doesn't pull up any surprises!

I'd run Optical from a DVD player, and listen to music through that, but if you've invested a great deal in your speakers, etc. then go with a dedicated CD player.

good luck!

PDN
12-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Yes I agree with jonny p. A higher end dedicated CD player for music is hard to beat over using a DVD player for music only. DVD players have additional circuitry and circuit board components necessary to reproduce video which in theory can add to the current pathways and resistance of the audio signals from your CD. Higher end DVD/CD players (say $2K and up) play very good audio but if you're a purist in this hobby, you'll go with a dedicated CD player.

bfalls
12-10-2007, 12:51 PM
You might take a look at the Sony DVP-CX995V. Plays CD/SACD/DVD and upscales. I saw then online for about $399. Her's text from one ad.

Sony DVP-CX995V 400 Disc DVD/CD Changer
DVD Player - Video Formats: DVD, DVD-R - 400 discs The DVP-CX995V 400-disc DVD/Super-Audio CD (SA-CD) changer up-scales video to high definition (1080i/720p) resolution and transmits high quality audio through a High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI). HDMI connections allow for the transfer of uncompressed digital signals to other HDMI equipped components such as Sony's Grand WEGA LCD rear projection high definition televisions....

Jenn11803
12-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Hey,

Here is some info on some other Sony DVD/CD players. I tend to go with SOny, my parents did, my brothers do, just my preference. Hope these help you narrow your choice!

http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews/8/94/Sony-DVPNS55PS-Single-Disc-DVD-Player/198735

http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews/8/94/sony-cddvd/145495

http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews/8/94/DVP-NS325/141668