Using "B" Speaker jacks for four speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Using "B" Speaker jacks for four speakers?

Zdawg
03-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Hello-
I have the Denon 1804 and I would like to run 2 sets of speakers off my "B" jacks. Is this possible? I currently have a set of outdoor speakers (back yard) hooked up, but would like to put a set in my garage. Is there a "splitter" or A, B switch that can be used, and if yes, can I hook each set up with it's own volume control (or at least one set?)

Thanks
Z

Monstrous Mike
03-01-2004, 09:42 AM
I have six speakers hooked to my B channels and I use a 4 way speaker switch (i.e. four inputs, one output) from Radio Shack. If you want individual volume control, you can buy a stereo volume control box from Radio Shack as well.

Quagmire
03-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Hello-
I have the Denon 1804 and I would like to run 2 sets of speakers off my "B" jacks. Is this possible? I currently have a set of outdoor speakers (back yard) hooked up, but would like to put a set in my garage. Is there a "splitter" or A, B switch that can be used, and if yes, can I hook each set up with it's own volume control (or at least one set?)

Thanks
Z
Zdawg,

Yes, you can do what you're asking, but you must be very careful in how you use this system. Since you already have speakers attached to your A and B jacks, you have four speakers wired in parallel to the amp. Assuming that all of these speakers are 8 ohm speakers, the effective load to the amp would become 4 ohms, however when you run two additional speakers on the B jacks, the impedance drops even further. You run the risk of overdrawing the current capacity of the amp's power supply. And this doesn't even address whether you're using the "A" speaker mains as stereo only or with the surround sound engaged.

If you are running only the "A" speakers or only the "B" speakers at any one time and not running them all simultaneously, you'll probably be fine. You could just wire the two sets of speakers on the "B" side in parallel from the amp, or you could buy a speaker selector switch and attach them that way. But since you mention wanting volume control for each set of speakers, this is what I suggest... Buy an inexpensive stereo receiver for the extra set of speakers you want to drive. Run an interconnect from one of the "tape loop" outputs on the 1804 into one of the inputs of the stereo receiver (any input will work except "phono") and your done. Heck, for the purpose that you've stated, I'd just pick up a decent used stereo receiver from ebay or elsewhere. It probably won't cost you much more than a speaker selector switch would, it gives you more flexibility and options, and places your existing equipment at less risk. Best of luck.

Q

AVMASTER
03-02-2004, 05:37 AM
you need impedence matching volume controls ( Niles ) to do what you want safely