Better Sub? Velodyne, HSU, or Dayton? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Better Sub? Velodyne, HSU, or Dayton?

twwesn
03-01-2004, 08:50 AM
I am looking to buy a 10" sub for my system. I want a decent sub for under $450. I know that the VTF-2 would be pushing that limit. Others I've been researching are the Velodne CHT-10 and the Dayton Titanic kit. Which of these would be your choice?

This Guy
03-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Hard decsision. I'd probably rule out the Velodyne, doesn't go as low or loud. The HSU is ported, giving you close to flat frequency responses to 25 hertz and nothing at all after that, obviously your room will effect the frequencies the most. The 10" Dayton is sealed, this will give you an F3 in the mid to upper 30's, but since it's sealed the roll-off is much more gradual, so you will have decent output to 20 hertz, although it will not go as loud (about 3 dB less) as the HSU. Now in my opinion, the Adire Rava offers much more for your money, it offers a more powerful amp, a bigger 12" driver, and a slightly larger enclosure, this will go lower and louder than the Dayton, and will have an F3 in the mid to upper 20's, and since it's sealed you'll have plenty of output at 20 hertz. All of these subs will pretty much go just as loud, varying a couple dB, but you wouldn't even notice. Plus the Rava is only $400. www.adireaudio.com . If you absolutely can't have a bigger sub, I'd go with the Dayton only cause it's sealed and I prefer the roll-off and punchy sound of sealed.

-Joey

F1
03-01-2004, 04:47 PM
.... The HSU is ported, giving you close to flat frequency responses to 25 hertz and nothing at all after that, .....

Mind you that the little VTF2 still yields more output at 20Hz compared to the bigger Paradigm PW2200 according to another poster in recent thread. Well anyway, I guess VTF2 and Adire Rava got more recommendation in this price range. Good luck.

Mr Peabody
03-02-2004, 06:47 PM
When I bought my SPL I was discussing the different levels of Velodyne with the sales person and he told me that Velodyne's entry level subs weren't so hot. A person is better off buying a mass market sub. I was shocked because I had been truly impressed by the SPL. I am not familiar with the other brands you mentioned but some of the guys here seem to like the HSU.

andrus
03-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Loudness is good i guess but Do you want to hear it? Lots of subs play loud but are they musical? That would be the bigger question for me.

You milege may vary,

Goodluck.

twwesn
03-06-2004, 09:46 PM
This proposed sub will go in my basement on a cement floor. Do any of these have a significant advantage over the others (front vs. down firing; ported) on a cement floor?

This Guy
03-07-2004, 07:56 AM
This proposed sub will go in my basement on a cement floor. Do any of these have a significant advantage over the others (front vs. down firing; ported) on a cement floor?

No not really, a downfiring might shake the floor a little more, but barely noticeable. Don't buy your sub based on whether it is downfiring or forward firing, ported or sealed. Pick what blends best with yur other speakers and has that ummph for movies.

-Joey

Geoffcin
03-07-2004, 08:13 AM

I have both types, with a down firing sub in a smaller bedroom, and a front firing pair in the main audio room. The only drawback from a down firing sub is if you have it on a carpeted surface. You will loose some SPL if that's the case. Down firing subs are better in a smaller room, as they diffuse the soundwave better in a smaller area.

Bryan
03-08-2004, 08:11 AM
If you haven't bought one as of yet, you may wish to contact a guy on Audiogon (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1083028286) who is selling four 1220HOs for $275 plus shipping.

trauski
03-09-2004, 12:56 PM
i bought my velodyne sub cht8 or something like that at circuit city for 169.00 $$ for the money it cant be beat. 8 inch sub with 120 or 130 watt amp. it is all i need. i cant imagine more really. it was an open box buy and it retailed for 300. it sounds great with my studio 60's v2. really blend quite nice in the music range and if watching a dvd , produces the lfe with out knocking my beer off the table and pictures off the wall.