preamp into two power amps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : preamp into two power amps

blacknbluedog
12-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi have been lurking but cant seem to find this answer. Is this possible? I have a pair of 901s that I want to run along with conventional speakers. The amps are an old NAD 7020 and an older Marantz 1175. Both have the pre out main in rca fittings. The preamp section of the Marantz is not working well either. The left channel drops out.
Thanks

Mr Peabody
12-06-2007, 08:32 PM
You said the Marantz pre isn't working right? Going with that pull the connectors out of the back that connect the pre and power amp sections together. Pull them also out of the NAD. Hook one pair of speakers to the NAD and one to the Marantz. You will need a "Y" adaptor. Run the single end into the NAD preamp with one side of the Y going back into the NAD power amp and the other side into the Marantz power in. Do this with both channels. This will allow you to use the Marantz power amp and leave the preamp out of the action. Of course, both will still have to be turned on.

NOW, before you go through all that trouble to find out something is wrong with your set up consider this. Are the Marantz and NAD similar in power and more important, are the pairs of speakers close, very close, in sensitivity? If there is more than 3dB difference you are wasting your time unless maybe one pair are in another room or you just plan to listen to one pair at a time. Why, you ask, if one speaker is more sensitive than the other it will play louder and you may not even hear the other pair. If this is the case and one amp is more powerful than another, you could try switching the speakers around to the different amp. This may even things out a bit but probably will not eliminate the problem.

blacknbluedog
12-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. The speakers will be in adjoining rooms. I cannot run the 901s with the same amp as the conventional speaker because of the equalizer. I will try switching the amps and speakers if the volume is uneven. I dont expect that it will sound perfect but I would like to have sound in both rooms.
Thanks again

markw
12-07-2007, 06:06 AM
First, take the preamp out and run it to two "Y" connectors, one for each channel.

Next, run one side of the "Y" to the input of the power amp that you want to drive the conventional speakers.

Then, run the other side of the "Y" to the input of the 901's equalizer and the eq's output to the input of the other power amp.

Connect all speakers and you're done!

Mr Peabody
12-07-2007, 06:20 PM
If the speakers are in different rooms the sensitivity issue shouldn't be much of an issue.