Kenny Burrell...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Burrell......

Bernd
12-06-2007, 08:36 AM
......Midnight Blue.
On my recent venture into Jazz on Mono Vinyl I listened to the above last night. Now that is the Jazz I dig.:6:
Any recommendations along similar lines would be much appreciated. If possible releases on Mono Vinyl.
Thanks.

Peace

:16:

nobody
12-06-2007, 09:56 AM
I really like Midnight Blue, but Burrell is hit and miss for me. I really like some of his stuff, but other records leave me cold.

One I do really like is a collaboration he has with John Coltrane. It's just called Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane and is available on Prestige mono vinyl from 1958. I believe there are a couple really cheap copies on Ebay right now. It's a pretty easy one to find and usually pretty cheap, but two great players making great music.

dean_martin
12-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Idle Moments - Grant Green, another jazz guitarist on Blue Note. I checked the usual suspects, acoustic sounds and music direct, but couldn't find a mono version.

I was surprised to find that a very young Kenny Burrell was a member of the band backing Sarah Vaughan on a cd I picked up for my wife a couple years ago. One of these days I'm going to check out Wes Montgomery.

jim goulding
12-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I read somewhere that those pre 1960 Blue Notes were recorded in Rudy Van Gelder's living room and some opinion in high places that they sound better than those later recorded at his Englewwod Cliffs studio. I know one thing, Paul Chambers "Bass On Top" has positively stellar sound and has been remastered and released in stereo. Kenny Burrell is featured on this. He's on Jimmy Smith's The Sermon, too, and that's a good one.

basite
12-07-2007, 04:35 AM
......Midnight Blue.
On my recent venture into Jazz on Mono Vinyl I listened to the above last night. Now that is the Jazz I dig.:6:
Any recommendations along similar lines would be much appreciated. If possible releases on Mono Vinyl.
Thanks.

Peace

there is lots of good jazz, however, just like classical, you've gotta find your style in it...

if you liked Midnight Blue, you should also check out his 'blue lights' album, there are 2 of these, (volume 1 and 2), both available as mono vinyl...

and who knows...

you might find some albums in a package coming to you around newyear :ihih:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bernd
12-07-2007, 08:24 AM
....for the pointers.
I am waiting for the Blue Light Vol 1 and 2 to arrive. Just grabed a copy of the Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane from Gemm. Need to find some Grant Green now.
Lot's to get on with. Those early Blue Note releases are absolutely superb in sound quality.
I sort of would like to build up a Jazz collection in Mono. Fun project.

Peace

Mike
12-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Midnight Blue is supreme but most of his other stuff is hit and miss IMO, in fact some of it is just cringeworthy. I latched onto Midnight Blue a while ago and spent some time trying to find something else on a similar line with that bluesy jazz feel. The nearest I could get was Grant Green - Idle Moments (already mentioned by someone) which is pretty good and Green Street but neither really did it for me. Wes Montgomery's Boss Guitar comes close though.

Then I came across Jimmy Smith - Six Views of the Blues (which features KB) and it's the best blues jazz small ensemble I've bought in a while. Smith is more restrained and in parts it's like Midnight Blue part 2.

As for those Blue Note remasters some are just a bit too 'hot' for my liking.

Cheers
Mike

jim goulding
12-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Yo, Bernd and Mike. Grant Green's Matador has excellent selections and features McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones. This is a fine one, I'm here to tell ya. I don't know about all, but some of the RVG Signature series from Blue Note came out poorly in the way Mike describes. Michael Cuscana, the guy responsible for these is a huge fan of Point of Departure by Andrew Hill he has said and I have read, but the remaster on CD is wretched. Fortunately, I own the album. That Paul Chambers disc I refered to earlier is boss. Nice tone and timbre. You can trust that.

jrhymeammo
12-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey Bernd,

Great thread.

I hope Vol.1 and 2 will arrive safely. They are great albums especially at night. Matter of fact: NP: Blue Note 1596. 1597 will be played later.

As others have stated, his is hit or miss, (Idle Momemt should NOT be missed on BN reissues.

All the BN and most of lables, pre-1959(some '58) will be in mono. First Blue Note in stereo was BN1562? I think there are exceptions though.

Clifford Brown Memorial (BN 1526)
shouldnt not be missed along with other C. Brown and Max Roach arrangements on Mercury lable. I believe these are still available as Japanese repress.
Universal is currently offering a repress of Brown and Roach.
Recording quality wont be different from Kenny Burrell. But Stevie Wonder and Charlie Parker I acquired on Universal are very good.

One Kenny Burrell I gotta recommend is:

Kenny Burrell/Prestige (7088) German Repress. Maybe you can still get it in Europe.

All Day Long (7081) is good but All Night Long (7073) is great.

Enjoy searching. It pays to dig alot of times.

Best Regards to all who spins black discs.

JRA

jim goulding
12-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Anybody like a guitarist/composer named Fareed Hague? Besides me?