Hi Guys n Gals [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys n Gals

Slippers On
12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Hello everyone, I've got my slippers on and I'm soaking up this great site you have.
I have been meandering through the site on a regular basis and thought I would join up and mix and mingle with your community.

You certainly have a wide array of topics and discussion threads which interest me.

I hope to be able to add as well as take from the site.

Should see you from time to time.

Regards

Slippers On

GMichael
12-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey Slippers,

Welcome on board. Good to have you finally post.
Hope to see more soon.

audio amateur
12-06-2007, 07:00 AM
May I just ask what the obsession with slippers is?

GMichael
12-06-2007, 07:19 AM
I think it means that he's sitting back and relaxing at home.

Rich-n-Texas
12-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Are they bunny slippers? :biggrin5:

Slippers On
12-06-2007, 12:52 PM
May I just ask what the obsession with slippers is?

Certainly. When I'm listening to music I'm in relaxed mode. Door closed, cup of tea within reach, kick back in my comfy chair with my feet in my Slippers! What else is there to live for?:6:

Slippers On

GMichael
12-06-2007, 12:59 PM
What else is there to live for?:6:

Slippers On

A hot babe rubbing your feet at the same time? Maybe she has on slippers too. Just slippers.

Groundbeef
12-06-2007, 01:52 PM
A hot babe rubbing your feet at the same time? Maybe she has on slippers too. Just slippers.

Mmmmmm, hot babe in just slippers. Maybe they are "stiletto" slippers with 3" heels...yeah, and she's all oiled up....

Groundbeef
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Certainly. When I'm listening to music I'm in relaxed mode. Door closed, cup of tea within reach, kick back in my comfy chair with my feet in my Slippers! What else is there to live for?:6:

Slippers On

BTW it's always nice to see a new face around here.

We always start off kinda slow, and I don't see a listing of your equipment. What kind of setup do you have? Any chance you have Bose? Lots of guys on here are big Bose "boosters" so if you like them, thats always a plus.

I look forward to further postings, thanks for dropping by.

GMichael
12-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Any chance you have Bose? Lots of guys on here are big Bose "boosters" so if you like them, thats always a plus.

I look forward to further postings, thanks for dropping by.

Smart a$$!

Slippers On
12-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Sorry Groundbeef, not a bose to be seen here:nonod:

My gear consists of:-

Krell 350mc mono amps,
Luxman 503 mono amps,
Townshend mono amps,
Rogers E40a tube amp,
One of those little T amps,
Krell KCT pre-amp,
Townshend elite pre-amp,
Luxman 502 pre-amp,
Audio Experience tube pre-amp,
Luxman 506 electronic crossover,
Shanling CD-T300
Graham Slee Era Gold V phono amp,
JR149 speakers (numerous),
JR150 speakers,
JR Sub Woofer,
Kef CS1 speakers
Townshend Glastonbury speakers,
Michell Transcriptor turntable,
Strathearn Audio turntables (numerous),
Arezzo turntable,

Pioneer VSA-AX10
Pioneer 868i DVD
Lots of bits and pieces

Suzuki GSX1400 (black) motorbike, for when the Slippers come off.:biggrin5:

Groundbeef
12-06-2007, 05:25 PM

:

Don't feel bad about the Bose. I was pretty much crackin wise.

The next question would be about what wires you use.

Regular ole' 14gauge, or the super expensive pixie dust crusted, diamond encased, gold spun angel hair wire?

Pass this test, and you too can be a regular on this board!

bubslewis
12-06-2007, 10:07 PM

Krell 350mc mono amps,
Luxman 503 mono amps,
Townshend mono amps,
Rogers E40a tube amp,
Krell KCT pre-amp,
Townshend elite pre-amp,
Luxman 502 pre-amp,
Shanling CD-T300
JR150 speakers,
JR Sub Woofer,
Kef CS1 speakers
Arezzo turntable,

Pioneer VSA-AX10
Pioneer 868i DVD
Lots of bits and pieces

Multiple monoblocks of various makes, multiple preamps, multiples of everything else (3 TT's, wow). I assume all this equipment is not in the same room. Me thinks you are not a rookie in this area. I almost want to used that dreaded word "audiophile".

Nice to see such a handsome array from a new member.

Welcome,
Bill

Slippers On
12-07-2007, 02:32 AM
GROUNDBEEF
I make up my own cables from a couple of rolls of QED Silver Spiral that I bought, speakers and interconnectors. It works out more economical for me because I'm always changing set-ups. I do have some Cardas Golden Reference for use with my CD player though. But I do use basic speaker cable too with the T-amp.

I do believe that cables can make a difference, but only to an extent. A lot of the cable 'thing', (I believe), is in my head. Peace of mind if you like.
At my age I don't have the same precise hearing that I used to have so spending anymore money trying to upgrade cables for me is a waste. The only other thing I will consider about cables is some form of mains re-generation, for the electricity supply here is not what it could be.

BUBSLEWIS
I moved house recently and so most of my gear is still in boxes. I hope to have a couple of systems up and running over the coming months. I am as much a collector as a listener. You will see that I have some equipment from the 70s, 80s, 90s and today. It is as much a case of me not liking to throw things away.

It is harder these days to keep some of the equipment in tip-top condition so I find myself reluctant to overuse some of it. Sometimes though I take the headstaggers and completely change a set-up just for the hell of it.

One example is turntables. I have had a Michell Hydraulic Transcriptor for many years, a beautiful piece of art as much as a functional turntable. Three years ago I had it fully serviced by Michells in the UK. Since then I have left it in its box. I now look upon it as something to pass onto my son eventually. So a couple of weeks ago I bought one of the new amazing 'AREZZO' decks to replace the Transcriptor. Perhaps in 10 years I'll box that too.

I think ebay has made it easier for people like me to hold onto old gear as it is a lot easier to locate spares.

Hope this post isn't too longwinded...sorry

Slippers On

audio amateur
12-07-2007, 02:54 AM

Slippers On

I must say, 'Slippers on', that you have a VERY good point there:) I also have to say that it cracks me up every time I read 'Slippers On' at the end of your post:D
Bet you have a whole collection of these slippers, and a favorite:ihih:

Groundbeef
12-07-2007, 10:08 AM
GROUNDBEEF

Slippers On

No. Not at all. Just given the new guy a hard time, and you did quite well. Your equipment is very nice, and your responses have even been nicer.

If you want a few links with posts that may be a tad longwinded, as GM. He's like the "Rainman" of old links.

Typically most of the long posts start out some piece of equipement that one member has, and attempts to "prove" that its (bigger) better than some other saps equipment. Bose, and wires have had some legendary fights.

Anyway nice to see a new guy around. Check out the other areas, Film is a popular one, as is the HDTV area. Don't be afraid to scrum, its all for the fun of it.

Also, make sure you attend GM's Christmas Party. Its in the "off topic" area in the bottom of the main forum directory. It looks like its going to be a real bell ringer this year!

GMichael
12-07-2007, 10:14 AM

Krell 350mc mono amps,
Luxman 503 mono amps,
Townshend mono amps,
Rogers E40a tube amp,
Krell KCT pre-amp,
Townshend elite pre-amp,
Luxman 502 pre-amp,
Shanling CD-T300
JR150 speakers,
JR Sub Woofer,
Kef CS1 speakers
Arezzo turntable,

Pioneer VSA-AX10
Pioneer 868i DVD
Lots of bits and pieces

Can I move in with you? :idea: I don't take up much space and am house trained.

Seriously, d'm nice equipment list you have there. I see now why you spend your time in those slippers. I'd never leave the house.

topspeed
12-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the AR!

Very eclectic range of gear you've got there. I like it! Clearly someone who likes to tinker and experiment. Regarding your power situation, have you considered a re-generator such as a PS Audio PowerPlant? This could solve a lot of your problems.

Slippers On
12-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the AR!

Very eclectic range of gear you've got there. I like it! Clearly someone who likes to tinker and experiment. Regarding your power situation, have you considered a re-generator such as a PS Audio PowerPlant? This could solve a lot of your problems.

Hi Topspeed, thank you for your words.

Regarding tinkering and experimenting...I wish I knew a lot more about electronics, then I might take up the pipe to match the slippers:) I'm afraid of tinkering beyond cable swapping incase my children get their inheritance too early:yikes:

Strange you should mention PS-Audio. I was in London in September at the Sound & Vision show when I met Paul McGowan from PS Audio. I spent some time in his allocated showroom where he bent over backwards convincing me of his wares. I believe he succeeded because I definately have his PowerPlant in mind whenever I get my main room built and sorted. Incidently I found him to be a gentleman.

I see you have some PSAudio gear....how do you find it?

Slippers On

topspeed
12-07-2007, 02:04 PM
My first foray into separates came when I purchased a PS Audio 4.6 preamp back in the '80's. Back then, Paul and Stan (the "S" in "PS") were based out of San Luis Obispo, California and were making a splash with their phono stages and preamps. They were one of the first to utilize an outboard power supply and while they would scream to the rafters that this method provided clearly audible superiority, they would also readily declare they had no idea why it did! It's this kind of modesty in an ultra snobby "hi-end" world that really appealed to me (and still does today). That, and the fact that the preamp served me without a hitch for 20+ years has made me somewhat of a PSA shill around these parts.

My experience with PSA has been nothing but positive. The aforementioned pre-amp was faultless even though I rarely turned it off in 2 decades of use. My HCA2 has provided years of audio bliss and when I had an issue with line noise, the remedy was a mere phone call away. The quality of construction is excellent and parts choices are beyond reproach. For example, the binding posts are as robust as any you'll find anywhere.

That said, I don't like everything Paul makes. His wires are still too expensive and I don't really care for the current generation of GCC amps. The HCA2 has a warmer, sweeter presentation versus the unflinching transparency of the GCC's. In effect, I'm working more on synergy towards my personal tastes than outright truth in reproduction. Heresy, I know, but it's my money and I'll make my rig sound any way a darn well please! :D

Bottom line, if you purchase a PowerPlant, I sincerely doubt you'd avail yourself of PSA's 30 day return policy.

Mikemaxcel
12-22-2007, 04:37 AM
GROUNDBEEF
I make up my own cables from a couple of rolls of QED Silver Spiral that I bought, speakers and interconnectors. It works out more economical for me because I'm always changing set-ups. I do have some Cardas Golden Reference for use with my CD player though. But I do use basic speaker cable too with the T-amp.

I do believe that cables can make a difference, but only to an extent. A lot of the cable 'thing', (I believe), is in my head. Peace of mind if you like.
At my age I don't have the same precise hearing that I used to have so spending anymore money trying to upgrade cables for me is a waste. The only other thing I will consider about cables is some form of mains re-generation, for the electricity supply here is not what it could be.

BUBSLEWIS
I moved house recently and so most of my gear is still in boxes. I hope to have a couple of systems up and running over the coming months. I am as much a collector as a listener. You will see that I have some equipment from the 70s, 80s, 90s and today. It is as much a case of me not liking to throw things away.

It is harder these days to keep some of the equipment in tip-top condition so I find myself reluctant to overuse some of it. Sometimes though I take the headstaggers and completely change a set-up just for the hell of it.

One example is turntables. I have had a Michell Hydraulic Transcriptor for many years, a beautiful piece of art as much as a functional turntable. Three years ago I had it fully serviced by Michells in the UK. Since then I have left it in its box. I now look upon it as something to pass onto my son eventually. So a couple of weeks ago I bought one of the new amazing 'AREZZO' decks to replace the Transcriptor. Perhaps in 10 years I'll box that too.

I think ebay has made it easier for people like me to hold onto old gear as it is a lot easier to locate spares.

Slippers On

Hi Slippers On,
How is your Arezzo sound? Any positive comments as compare to your previous Hydraulic Transcriptor .
What is the arm and cartridge combination you use for this Arezzo?

Slippers On
12-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Slippers On,
How is your Arezzo sound? Any positive comments as compare to your previous Hydraulic Transcriptor .
What is the arm and cartridge combination you use for this Arezzo?

Hi Mikemaxcel,

I use the RB250 with a V15vxmr cartridge on the Arezzo. I am trying to submit a review of my experience with the deck on this site but there seems to be a problem uploading a new manufacturer on audioreview.com. Hopefully the problem will be sorted soon. I'll save my comments 'till then, however, suffice to say I'm a Happy Chappy:)

Slippers On

ZepFloyd
12-26-2007, 11:49 PM
hey all just discovered this site, looking forward to reading all the discussions that take place