What idiot would put hidden tracks on a comp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What idiot would put hidden tracks on a comp?

Swish
12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Davey, of course, that California nut-job. I got his Holiday Mixer 07 in the mail yesterday, along with a nice bonus cd that shall remain unnamed, and popped it in my PC. The song list was impressive, although I have 8 or the 15, but the thing kept playing beyond that list and I soon found out he stuck another 4 songs on it. I knew the first was from the latest Richmond Fontaine and another from the new Josh Ritter, but I'm stumped on the other two and they show up on Windows Media player as unknown. Rat bas<a>tard. Anybody else figure this out yet?

Nice comp though. Thanks.

Swish

Davey
12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Rat bas<a>tard.

Monkey turd.

Hey, you should download one of the cdtext plugins for wmp, then you'd know! Or just click here (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#Uncle_Davey's_Holiday_Mixer_2007) for more info (not complete yet, but bonus tracks are listed). At least your copy plays OK. I sent one to Rae that just goes click click click. Anyone else get a bad one?

I sent a copy of that Richard Buckner debut on Deja Disc to a few that I thought might appreciate it. Sounds so nice compared to the one that was reissued later on Ryko.

Swish
12-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Monkey turd.

Hey, you should download one of the cdtext plugins for wmp, then you'd know! Or just click here (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#Uncle_Davey's_Holiday_Mixer_2007) for more info (not complete yet, but bonus tracks are listed). At least your copy plays OK. I sent one to Rae that just goes click click click. Anyone else get a bad one?

I sent a copy of that Richard Buckner debut on Deja Disc to a few that I thought might appreciate it. Sounds so nice compared to the one that was reissued later on Ryko.

I've been called worse. I know about the plug-ins, but I'm usually not all that interested in finding them unless I really need it. Since you gave me the info, I don't need now do I?

I do like Buckner quite a lot, especially Meadow, so TY.

As for Rae's clicking cd, he probably digs it and will post a review in a day or so...nice beat and you can dance to it.

Swish Baby

GMichael
12-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Bonus tracks? Cool.

Davey
12-05-2007, 08:26 AM
I've been called worse. I know about the plug-ins, but I'm usually not all that interested in finding them unless I really need it.

If someone else does want a cdtext plugin for wmp, the one I use is by Tim de Baets and the download is at http://users.skynet.be/tim.debaets/software/WMPCDText-1.0.exe

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/cdtext.jpg

Of course, you can use a player that supports it natively like hacp or eac, or winamp with plugins, or whatever.

If Meadow is the only one you have, the next Buckner disc after the debut I sent sounds great too. Devotion + Doubt. Calexico guys and Howe Gelb provide much of the backing. Major label, but recorded and mastered very nicely, with lots of dynamic range. Meadow is kind of squished, but still a very good CD.

PeruvianSkies
12-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Is there anything do use with iTunes that helps identify tracks?

Slosh
12-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Is there anything to use with iTunes that helps identify tracks?iTunes 7.5 reads (and writes) CD-Text. So does MediaMonkey which IMO is the best media player by far (Windows only, though).

NP (oddly enough) :

bobsticks
12-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Monkey turd.

At least your copy plays OK. I sent one to Rae that just goes click click click. Anyone else get a bad one?

Mine had a case of intermittent clicking in my universal but played perfectly on PC so I just burned it to another disc for usage in the big rig. No biggie and well worth the effort.

PeruvianSkies
12-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Mine had a case of intermittent clicking in my universal but played perfectly on PC so I just burned it to another disc for usage in the big rig. No biggie and well worth the effort.

Yeah, I had to do the same thing.

PeruvianSkies
12-05-2007, 07:42 PM
I am using the latest iTunes 7.5 and there CD track names still won't come up, even when trying to get CD track names, anyone know how to get them?

Davey
12-05-2007, 10:46 PM
I am using the latest iTunes 7.5 and there CD track names still won't come up, even when trying to get CD track names, anyone know how to get them?

Sorry for all the less than ideal copies. My drive has been giving me problems playing audio CDs, but not ripping, and seemed to be burning them OK based on playback in my other players. But it obviously made a u-turn somewhere on the road to Perfectville :)

Hey PS, did you reburn the disc with CD-TEXT? It's not automagic. Usually you have to select it, and your drive has to support it (although most newer ones do).

jonnyhambone
12-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I'll try the re-burn, or at least playing it on a different system, as my copy has the serious clicks going on too. Hope it works cuz its a great lil' mix...

Davey
12-07-2007, 08:11 AM
I'll try the re-burn, or at least playing it on a different system, as my copy has the serious clicks going on too. Hope it works cuz its a great lil' mix...

Sorry about that. I burned some fresh copies on another system so I'll send you out another. The stupid thing played fine in my dvd player and in my car, but I didn't try out every copy. Must all be marginal, and then some more bad.