Beer recommendations... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Beer recommendations...

PeruvianSkies
12-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Ok fellow Beer Nuts...

This year I am responsible for bringing the beer to the Christmas party and I wanted to get some recommendations on what I should bring. I am thinking about the following, but certainly welcome some recommendations...the key here is something that is semi-unique, awesome in taste, something that is easy to please, and something that impresses people with it's taste. My selections thus far....

Firestone Walker Pale Ale
Penn Weizen
Sam Adams Black Lager
Alaskan Amber (I found this gem when I was in Alaska this past summer)

Rich-n-Texas
12-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Well, I'm not going to be able to top any of your choices from an extravagant standpoint, but I like Boddingtons Pub ale, Bass ale, I've tried Fat Tire (there's a series of beers from that maker), I like honey brown ale's in general, but I don't like dark beer of any variety so no suggestions from me on that score. I think you'll find that Boddingtons fill most of your criteria. It's definatley unique (you'll find that out when you open the can), and very smooth IMO. I wouldn't go too off the wall unless your friends have similar tastes, or you'll be taking a lot home with you.

johnny p
12-04-2007, 07:01 AM
You're in PA...... get some Weyerbacher.... mmmm mmmm mmm

GMichael
12-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Ok fellow Beer Nuts...

This year I am responsible for bringing the beer to the Christmas party and I wanted to get some recommendations on what I should bring. I am thinking about the following, but certainly welcome some recommendations...the key here is something that is semi-unique, awesome in taste, something that is easy to please, and something that impresses people with it's taste. My selections thus far....

Firestone Walker Pale Ale
Penn Weizen
Sam Adams Black Lager
Alaskan Amber (I found this gem when I was in Alaska this past summer)

All good choices. But they don't all appeal to the masses. You may want to add some light beer for them. The Michelob Logger, although not an actual "light beer" is usually very popular once people try it. And it's not watered down piss like many of the lite beers are.

basite
12-04-2007, 07:53 AM
ok, so here I go again:

if you can get Belgian beers:

Get Stella Artois, Duvel, Chinay, Palm and a 'dubbele kriek' :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JSE
12-04-2007, 08:12 AM
GMichaels right, get something that will appeal to the masses. If you go to "out of the box" you might have a lot of left over beer. OK, maybe that's a good thing?

I would go with one of my all time favorite beers,

Abita Amber Ale! I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it.

You might be able to find their Christmas Ale as well this time of year. Last year's was quite good. Abita Turbodog is also one of my favorites but it's getting a little heavy and rich for the masses.

http://www.abita.com/brew/index.html

JSE

Rich-n-Texas
12-04-2007, 08:26 AM
GMichaels right, get something that will appeal to the masses. If you go to "out of the box" you might have a lot of left over beer. OK, maybe that's a good thing?

I would go with one of my all time favorite beers,

Abita Amber Ale! I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it.

You might be able to find their Christmas Ale as well this time of year. Last year's was quite good. Abita Turbodog is also one of my favorites but it's getting a little heavy and rich for the masses.

http://www.abita.com/brew/index.html

JSE
Sh!t JSE, I had you pegged for Shiner Bock! When did you get class? :biggrin5:

JSE
12-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Sh!t JSE, I had you pegged for Shiner Bock! When did you get class? :biggrin5:

I said Abita was "one" of my favorites. Shiner Bock IS my favorite beer of all time.

BTW, they have a black label "Select Brew" out right now. Can't remember the exact name but, Very nice!

audio amateur
12-04-2007, 08:39 AM
ok, so here I go again:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Haha love the suggestions Bert, my best friend is Belgian so I know what you're talking about:cornut: . You can add to that
-Grimbergen
-Leffe triple
-Affligem (this one reminds me playing Gran Turismo 2 with him:p)
-Rodenbach
-Jupiler (althought this one I guess is the heineken of beers)
and many more !! but I doubt you can get this in the US. Can't really help you out Skies because I'm not familiar with American stuff.
Cheers

basite
12-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Haha love the suggestions Bert, my best friend is Belgian so I know what you're talking about:cornut:

yeah, there are alot of belgian beers, I dont know all of them, but I made some quick suggestions :)

I know they can get chinay and stella artois in the USA, not sure about the others...

I also know they have alot of heineken there, personally, I think Heineken is the worst beer ever made in europe...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
12-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Should rephrase that: Jupiler is the belgian heineken of beers:p
Yeah Heineken is not great, a bit bitter for my taste.

Rich-n-Texas
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Shiner Bock IS my favorite beer of all time!
Spoken like a true Texan!

johnny p
12-04-2007, 12:28 PM
ok, so here I go again:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

All good beers...... anything with flavor is good.... Water = bad!

Feanor
12-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Ok fellow Beer Nuts...

This year I am responsible for bringing the beer to the Christmas party and I wanted to get some recommendations on what I should bring.

Too bad you can't get some Canadian beer such as this Sleeman Honey Brown Lager ... eat your heart out! :smilewinkgrin:

nightflier
12-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Grolsch:

Unique? How about a re-closable porcelain top, aka the Beugel? Apparently the Dutch are so frugal (some would say cheap) that they wanted a bottle-top they could re-close so that they could take whatever they couldn't finish at the pub home to drink the next day. Consequently, the bottle also holds 10% more beer than more common beer bottles. If they don't like it, you still have a great conversation piece, right?

Impresses people with it's taste? It has Dutch sophistication & bite without the cheap bitterness of Heineken or the watered-down taste of Amstel. It's been the favorites of artists, musicians, writers, political figures, and even a rallying cause during the religious wars. It's been around since 1615 with very little change in the formula, so you can say it's been market-tested.

Speaking of history, after the Ge'mans occupied the Netherlands, one of their first orders of business was to close down the factory - apparently Grolsch was not only a rival to their own beers, but it also threatened to be another cause-celebre for the Dutch resistance (apparently that didn't work, because the brewery continued to distribute beer and the resistance was strongest in the SW). Want to see some fireworks? Watch a German and a Dutchman debate their favorite beers - it's more violent than a debate over Soccer - unless of course it occurs at a soccer match...

Anyhow, who doesn't like the Dutch? Do they even have enemies? Remember this is the people who brought you PrimaLuna, Phillips, and N'Joe, not to mention St.Nick, the reason you're hosting that party in the first place.

RoyY51
12-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Although it's not technically a beer, I guarantee it to be the talk of the party: Lindesfarne Mead is (or was) brewed by monks on an island off the coast of Wales. Many years ago, a friend brought a bottle back with him and insisted that I try it in his presence. OMG! It had an absolutely indescribable flavor. I raved about it so much that he ended up giving me the rest of the bottle. Ever since that time, I have tried to procure more but was always told that it was not available in the states, and that some snafu prevented it from being imported and sold here. Alas, I thought that my honey-based epiphany was but a sweet memory...until a week ago.

I was bending the ear of a wine enthusiast that I work with about my Lost Nectar of the Gods when he informed me that he had read in one of his wine publications that a California company had won the right to import the aforesaid mead. To make a long story short (I know, too late), I am now awaiting the arrival of my most eagerly anticipated Christmas present in years. Merry Christmas to me!

If you have any desire to try it , just google Lindisfarne Mead. I believe that the Ca. importer is the first site to appear.

Hope you have a great party!

Edit: I just remembered: the actual site that you can order from is partnersinspirit.com. It's about $26.00 per 750 ml bottle plus S&H.

PeruvianSkies
12-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Wow, lots of really really great recommendations, now does anyone have some sources as to where I might find some of the more exotic stuff? Are there online places perhaps?

Feanor
12-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow, lots of really really great recommendations, now does anyone have some sources as to where I might find some of the more exotic stuff? Are there online places perhaps?

Drive the I-79 north to I-90, I-90 to Buffalo, cross the Peace Bridge, north on the QEW to Niagara Fall, ON -- or the first Beer Store you spot.

Mr Peabody
12-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Boy, mention beer and everyone shows up :) I'm with Rich, unless you know your fellow employees well enough that you are sure they will enjoy this type of exotic beverage you had better get some domestic. I remember one year I went to my cousins birthday party I brought him some Samuel Adams. He was drinking Busch. I thought he would be appreciative but he didn't even try one until much later and I think it was just to appease me. I also second the Bass ale. There are a wide variety of good Sammy Adams and even some special seasonal beers at this time.

I think I had Grolsch before, they sell 4 bottles to a carton. This was way back before I drank much import but at that time it was so bitter I couldn't hardly drink it.

So what do you all think of our Anheisser products? Enjoy da Budweiser? I really like Micelob's Amber Bach. Bud made a special Lager but I'm not sure if it's available anymore and that was probably my favorite beer of all time.

PeruvianSkies
12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Drive the I-79 north to I-90, I-90 to Buffalo, cross the Peace Bridge, north on the QEW to Niagara Fall, ON -- or the first Beer Store you spot.

I've had Sleeman before, it's very good, my Uncle won't drink anything else and I can't really blame him much, he used to get it when he lived in Oregon, but now he has to move to Atlanta.

PeruvianSkies
12-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Boy, mention beer and everyone shows up :) I'm with Rich, unless you know your fellow employees well enough that you are sure they will enjoy this type of exotic beverage you had better get some domestic. I remember one year I went to my cousins birthday party I brought him some Samuel Adams. He was drinking Busch. I thought he would be appreciative but he didn't even try one until much later and I think it was just to appease me. I also second the Bass ale. There are a wide variety of good Sammy Adams and even some special seasonal beers at this time.

I think I had Grolsch before, they sell 4 bottles to a carton. This was way back before I drank much import but at that time it was so bitter I couldn't hardly drink it.

So what do you all think of our Anheisser products? Enjoy da Budweiser? I really like Micelob's Amber Bach. Bud made a special Lager but I'm not sure if it's available anymore and that was probably my favorite beer of all time.

Actually it's for our huge family get-together and there will be lots of friends there as well, probably about 100 people total over the course of time and they LOVE beer, but they are always looking for something unique.

PeruvianSkies
12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
SLEEMAN! My uncle is actually going to send me a whole bunch that he has for the party!!! Woohoo!

audio amateur
12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
that just made me terribly thirsty...

sgt bass08
12-23-2007, 01:52 PM
ok, so here I go again:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

yer Stella Artois is britains favorite beer that stuff knocks you right out :) good choice to take (but beware its strong) but personal i pefer Cobra beer its got a light taste to it if u guys can get it and then Guinness Draught beer is really nice and smooth and then Coors beer is good too

ps. i would also take some smirnoff vodka that stuff is nice too .

bobsticks
12-23-2007, 06:39 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/pantomus/BellsRyeStout.jpg

Of course the Oktoberfest is great too, and I highly recommend it it if you have the means...

sgt bass08
12-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Of course the Oktoberfest is great too, and I highly recommend it it if you have the means...[/QUOTE]

That Beer seems very old wouldnt look good in a party but seriuosly try this stuff out

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2216/9856034/18567112/294595602.jpg

its very unique with a awesome tast .

basite
12-24-2007, 08:48 AM
That Beer seems very old wouldnt look good in a party but seriuosly try this stuff out

I think you misunderstood the meaning of 'party' in this context...

This is not a party where people drink stuff to get drunk, this is a party where people enjoy the drinks they drink. You can enjoy 'old' beer as much (if not more) as new beer.

Cheers.
Bert.

audio_dude
01-03-2008, 10:20 PM
man...canadian beer is great.

but you know what's really funny? while traveling europe, I visited a small, specialty beer store... they had beers from all over the world! including canada! well...i guess moosehead lager is canadian...but.. oh well.

Budweiser from the americans.

but damn, is that Spaten Optimator ever good! its an amazing Doppel Bock

The only thing close to that in canada is Dave's Doppel Bock. Which is ok, but not as good.

Get some Spaten Doppel Bock!

Feanor
01-04-2008, 09:25 AM
man...canadian beer is great.

but you know what's really funny? while traveling europe, I visited a small, specialty beer store... they had beers from all over the world! including canada! well...i guess moosehead lager is canadian...but.. oh well.

Budweiser from the americans.

but damn, is that Spaten Optimator ever good! its an amazing Doppel Bock

The only thing close to that in canada is Dave's Doppel Bock. Which is ok, but not as good.

Get some Spaten Doppel Bock!

You're a young lad, eh, audio_dude? Remember not to over indulge.

audio_dude
01-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Don't worry feanor, I know where my limit is. I would never let myself have more than a few drinks. Being drunk really doesn't appeal to me.

Same with the hangover :)

Rich-n-Texas
01-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Don't worry feanor, I know where my limit is. I would never let myself have more than a few drinks. Being drunk really doesn't appeal to me.

Same with the hangover :)
It only took me about 30 years to come to that same realization. :rolleyes:

audio_dude
01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Took me a night with some friends and a whiskey bottle to learn that :)

bobsticks
01-05-2008, 04:39 AM
It took me three quarters of a bottle of Patron and six cops serving a warrant on the wrong building to figure it out....

Feanor
01-05-2008, 08:16 AM
SLEEMAN! My uncle is actually going to send me a whole bunch that he has for the party!!! Woohoo!

ENJOY!!
:9: :4: :23:

Mr Peabody
01-05-2008, 08:45 AM
I wonder what happened to PS at the party, we haven't heard from him since.