Magnepan MMG planar speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan MMG planar speakers

spctravis
12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
So these seem to have gotten good reviews around here, but would they work well as fronts for my home theater system? I found some for 375. Trying to look around and put a system together that is nice, and I can afford.

Thanks for all your help here. :)

kes4927
12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
These are great speakers, but they may not integrate well with the rest of your system. You need an amp/receiver that can drive 4 ohm speakers, you need to have them at least 2 feet from the rear wall behind them and they sound totally different from box speakers. But for $375 you could always use them in a dedicated music system if you aren't happy with how they integrate with your other speakers. Or you could eliminate your center channel speaker and go phantom, that works well with these.

spctravis
12-04-2007, 11:01 PM
They are going to be in a corner, with the TV in the middle and the MMG's on the sides of the TV making a triangle. Will this work with the MMGs? :confused5:
Also I would need a receiver that takes 4 ohms, anyone have suggestions for one that also takes HDMI for audio switching?
Most of the ones I see on Crutchfield don't have 4 ohms.:nonod:

kes4927
12-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I don't think the MMGs will work for you in this application. You need to have room between the back and the side walls with these, and the TV in the middle doesn't help either. Also, you would be better off using a separate amp to drive them-Crutchfield says that Onkyo and Denon receivers can drive 4 ohm speakers but I wasn't happy with how my Denon AVR2802 worked with my Maggies and most people recommend a separate amp. I think that most Harman Kardon receivers will drive them but Crutchfield doesn't carry those. Good luck.

audio amateur
12-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I'd go with the MMG's. Forget about impedance, as long as you have a half-decent receiver. Try and get an MMG center aswell;)

markw
12-08-2007, 04:31 PM
I love maggies as much as the next guy but you really need room behind and along side of them for them to sound their best, preferably a few feet. In my case it wasabout 3.5' behind and at least 4' on he sides. Even then a little tow in helped.

A lot of clean power helps but, even then, don't expect the MMG's to provide adequate bass on their own. Also, I'd suggest you invest in their center channel since the sound level the two MMG's put out might not sustain a HT system. Music, possibly, but the dynamics required for HT are another matter. They will sound congested when they are straining.

And, yes, I had MMG's before I traded up to the 1.6's

spctravis
12-09-2007, 12:56 AM
I bought some Spica TC-50s. I think they sound really amazing, and it gives me some room to go with a vintage look.
I need to get a nice receiver.
Some Anti-cables, and OPPO DV-980H

Bryan
12-13-2007, 07:03 PM
They are good speakers though you will need a good sub. Much like the others have said, they are a completely different animal than what you likely are used to.

I would decide what you want your HT/music system to be in the end and work towards that goal where you are not purchasing interim gear.

For example, I started out with Wharfedales, moved to nOrhs, and am currently on Rockets (AV123.com).

As I have moved from speaker to speaker, my knowledge has grown and my tastes have evolved. The nOrh 4.0s and 5.1s I have owned were the first non-boomy speakers owned though their looks are not for everyone, my wife included.

Today, the Rockets work well for me though they will likely be replaced in time. Not because they are bad. Far from it. It will be because my tastes have changed. However, I will likely stay with the same company.

My view for HT is the sub is your foundation. Make sure you have a great foundation and build up from there. The best sub I had for HT was the SVS 20-39CS. My current Rocket UFW-10 performs better with music than the SVS did.

Ultimately, go with your gut and what you feel is best for you. As long as you have done your homework you should be comfortable with your decision, whatever it may be.