Do I need S-Video? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do I need S-Video?

Chrono
03-01-2004, 02:35 AM
The receiver I'm looking at does not have S-video, but it does have two component vieo outputs and 1 component video input. My TV has several S-video, component, and composite connections as well as a DVI connection.

Should I avoid this reviever because of the S-video issue? It is a Yamaha HTR5640.

Thanks

Monstrous Mike
03-01-2004, 09:57 AM
The receiver I'm looking at does not have S-video, but it does have two component vieo outputs and 1 component video input. My TV has several S-video, component, and composite connections as well as a DVI connection.

Should I avoid this reviever because of the S-video issue? It is a Yamaha HTR5640.

Thanks
I would say yes.

If I had a TV with component video, I would get a receiver that not only accepted S-video but also converted it and composite video to component. Then you would have one component connection to your TV and every audio/video decive you own would connect to the receiver regardless if it is composite, S-video or component.

An example is the Denon 3803 or 3805 or the Yamaha RX-V1400.

uncooked
03-01-2004, 03:37 PM
personally i dont think you do. if you have several inputs on your tv, whats the point of spending more on a amp. just run it straight from your source into your tv, some people even say you loose some quility if you run it through a receiver, makes sense, the more contacts the more lossed signals, its all up to you but it sounds like you dont NEED it.

samgupta
03-01-2004, 05:05 PM

Thanks

I wouldn't make ths a deal-breaker with the reciever. You get the best picture through component video, so why spend more $$ to have the ability to get S-video?

uncooked
03-01-2004, 07:17 PM
exactly, maybe yamaha was thinking about it in a smart way, most people either have the lowest or the highest. so thats what they went with.

if you like the receiver i would go for it.

or look at the 5650, "which i have" it sounds good, and it has s vid

Chrono
03-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the info. I think I will try to look at the 5650 and see what the price difference is. If its more than I want to spend, I may just stick with the 5640. Can't see myself going beyond the inputs my TV already has anyway.

Thanks again. :)