5 Best Jazz Sound Tracks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5 Best Jazz Sound Tracks

Swish
12-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Yes, another 'Top 5' movie soundtracks for you. I've seen two of these and bits and pieces of a fourth, but they left one off that positively should have been on it, and possibly above all others. Here are the 5:

Elevator to the Gallows - 1958 (lots of Miles Davis music)
Alfie - 1966 (Sonny Rollins tunes)
Blow-Up - 1966 (Herbie Hancock soul-fusion)
Round Midnight - 1986 (Dexter Gordon in the lead role, more Herbie Hancock music)
Tune In Tomorrow - 1990 (Crappy movie that I couldn't watch much of, but great tunes from Wynton Marsalis)

Bird should be listed for sure. Not only was it a great movie, but the soundtrack was excellent too, and, well, it was a movie about Charlie Parker, so there were bits and pieces of great jazz throughout.

Round Midnight was awesome too. I think I saw it as many times as Bird, but I can't remember.

Can you think of any others?
Swish

jim goulding
12-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Damn! P Skies, help me out (again). What was the name of the flick about that Haitian painter that was championed by Andy Warhol (played by David Bowie) who came from a graffiti dude to a enfant terrible of the art world in New York and overdosed at 24? Good flick. Good jazz.

Bird, of course.

Kansas City

I'm stumped. I think Miles did two sound tracks. One was released as an album. As a jazz freak, I hope others will do justice to this thread.

Swish
12-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Damn! P Skies, help me out (again). What was the name of the flick about that Haitian painter that was championed by Andy Warhol (played by David Bowie) who came from a graffiti dude to a enfant terrible of the art world in New York and overdosed at 24? Good flick. Good jazz.

Bird, of course.

Kansas City

I'm stumped. I think Miles did two sound tracks. One was released as an album. As a jazz freak, I hope others will do justice to this thread.

That was about doomed artist Jean-Michel Basquiat, the 1980s art world and, especially, painter-cum-filmmaker Julian Schnabel.

Glad I could help since there were so many others who were stumped since they didn't reply to my post (sigh).

At your service,
Swish

buyusa
12-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I thought the score with deniro had some fairly solid jazz. I tried to find the soundtrack a few years back but never came across It.

jim goulding
12-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I definitely agree The Score had at least two great moments with Mose Allison and Cassandra Wilson, I think. The Mose knows. The sage of the age! "You're over laughin when things ain't funny. Trying to sound like . . big money. You know your mind is on vacation and your mouth is working overtime". Love that cat.

Luvin Da Blues
12-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I definitely agree The Score had at least two great moments with Mose Allison and Cassandra Wilson, I think. The Mose knows. The sage of the age! "You're over laughin when things ain't funny. Trying to sound like . . big money. You know your mind is on vacation and your mouth is working overtime". Love that cat.

Hey Jim, how's things, long time no speaky.

I always thought that this was penned by Collin James..he does a nice version of this also.

jim goulding
12-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Miss you, too, Blues. How's that Rega?

Luvin Da Blues
12-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Miss you, too, Blues. How's that Rega?

I love the Rega..tho I don't have any reference for comparison. The depth of the sound stage is amazing on some vinyl. This arm coupled with the AT440MLa seems to be a great match.

The deck has a separate arm mounting plate so I'm going to experiment with shimming it to play with the VTA over the holidays..any sugestion for shimming or other methods? I am considering the Origin Live VTA upgrade but for now....

Peace to you and your family for the holidays and the coming year. :cornut:

jim goulding
12-08-2007, 04:53 AM
Rega suggests using washers if you don't use an aftermarket product for this. How did you set the VTA in the first place? . .

Luvin Da Blues
12-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Rega suggests using washers if you don't use an aftermarket product for this. How did you set the VTA in the first place? . .

Right now I have the mounting board shimmed at the corners to make the arm level but can't help but wondering if I raise or drop the tail a bit if I could squeeze just a little more from this setup.

jim goulding
12-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Your mounting board is shimmed up on what? Maybe you should start with the lowest position and make changes up or down from there using washers. Have you checked on one of those after market collars? At the extreme, you could have a metal mounting plate made with holes for your screws however you would still have to use washers to make adjustments. That's not a bad thing cause you should get good rigidity. In Eureka CA, there is a cat who offers collars for Regas, I think. His company is called Expressimo. He could advise you at the very least. That's where I got my counterweight and rear end post.

Luvin Da Blues
12-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Your mounting board is shimmed up on what? Maybe you should start with the lowest position and make changes up or down from there using washers. Have you checked on one of those after market collars? At the extreme, you could have a metal mounting plate made with holes for your screws however you would still have to use washers to make adjustments. That's not a bad thing cause you should get good rigidity. In Eureka CA, there is a cat who offers collars for Regas, I think. His company is called Expressimo. He could advise you at the very least. That's where I got my counterweight and rear end post.

Talk about derailing a thread...sorry Swish.

Anyway, Jim my board mounts to the plinth with 4 screws. I measured the amount of shimming required from the lowest position to achieve a level arm. I had a machinist buddy mill the shim/washers to the exact thickness.

I checked out that link which took me to http://www.elusivedisc.com. I guess this guy had bought out the Expressimo stock. They have a very affordable VTA adjuster so I be going that way and not with shims.

Thanks again Mon Ami.

jim goulding
12-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Heard that. You can then set VTA on the fly, right? If not, check Music Direct. There is one in there for $150. Jim